mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#951  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

@horgen I definitely get that. No WB installed for me yet.....still pending my preorder block and backplate from EK. The 3090 is a beast tho :) ! Chews up everything I throw at it (3840x1600)....a big step up from my OC'ed 1080. Got the card yesterday and installed it. I drained the loop and added a U bend to the distro due to removing the WC'ed 1080.

Stock fan curves and even customs are VERY loud....not a fan, pun intended. At stock levels its just too much as the card hits +70c constantly when I am going at it. I was able to subdue it a bit by undervolting and staying under 65c. NEED THAT WB!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#952 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mobius_basic: The 3090 is a beast of a card in more than one way.

I have undervolted my 3080 a little as well. Nothing major, just used the results that OC scanner in Afterburner gave me. I gotta learn that OC scanner better, as I see many get good results by having 0.925 or 0.950V as max voltage.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#953  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

@horgen I'm using afterburner as well, what temps are you seeing on your 3080? For reference I'm at an average -10% on the power budget with a temp limit of 83c, +100 core/125 mem so far. Playing Marvel Avengers and have maxed it out using balanced DLSS. Noise level is much better. However, I did a few Timespy runs before and after....to tell you the truth before any "tweaking runs" I actually scored lower than stock.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#954 horgen  Moderator

@mobius_basic said:

@horgen I'm using afterburner as well, what temps are you seeing on your 3080? For reference I'm at an average -10% on the power budget with a temp limit of 83c, +100 core/125 mem so far. Playing Marvel Avengers and have maxed it out using balanced DLSS. Noise level is much better. However, I did a few Timespy runs before and after....to tell you the truth before any "tweaking runs" I actually scored lower than stock.

I haven't tried heavy gaming so much. At stock it reached 70C during folding at home. Now after a simple OC scanner run it might be a degree or two cooler. Voltage is lower, however core speed is higher.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#955  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Selling off my PC monitor and speakers... I am going full HTPC mode, I have been ever since I got my OLED. I have a ultra wide 180cm solid oak tv cabinet coming friday, once I get my RTX 3080 if they ever come back in stock... It will be by the TV stand and a PS5.

The desk is just wasting space, haven't sat on it for months and I'll be getting a Dell XPS laptop for my photography... I was planning on doing it anyway for convenience.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#956 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: No browsing the web with your computer? Just pure gaming/media machine now?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#957  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Selling off my PC monitor and speakers... I am going full HTPC mode, I have been ever since I got my OLED. I have a ultra wide 180cm solid oak tv cabinet coming friday, once I get my RTX 3080 if they ever come back in stock... It will be by the TV stand and a PS5.

The desk is just wasting space, haven't sat on it for months and I'll be getting a Dell XPS laptop for my photography... I was planning on doing it anyway for convenience.

Damn, quite the change. 4K/120hz HDR on my OLED is amazing, but I can't give up my ultrawide desktop setup. FPS are so much better sitting down at a desk with mouse and keyboard and on an ultrawide. Also, the desk is much better for productivity. I will continue to run the dual setup.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#958 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@BassMan: Well I have another smaller desk in the bedroom which will be used for my photography needs when I get me a new laptop... You don't need much performance a Ryzen 4500U is more than enough for my work needs and I use external storage.

Just need to get a laptop with great colour accuracy. Will be browsing soon.

Yeah, exclusives are a nightmare but its a good thing consoles are cheap.

@horgen:

Well I am getting a laptop for my photography so my PC will be primarily there for PC gaming now like it use to be and honestly I can't go sit back at my desk and play a game knowing how good OLED black levels are it just makes games look drastically better... Going from my OLED to my monitor feels like going from Ultra settings to Medium, its that good.

Will be posting pictures up Friday when its delivered and I re-arrange everything in the game room.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#959 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Will be posting pictures up Friday when its delivered and I re-arrange everything in the game room.

As will I. Might post before if I get a new card holder. I got some tubes in the way for normal placement, so I improvised.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#960 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@horgen:

Well... My TV cabinet was a no show and tracking says its with supplier, called up the retailer and turns out item wasn't in stock but somehow I managed to order one so they apologised and gave a refund.

So its wait 4-5 weeks for stock or find a new cabinet.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#961 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: That sucks.

I ordered something, it said 48 hours to get in before shipping or so. Now it lists "Expected November 2nd". That's expected, not confirmed. And those 48 hours have turned into 5 business days, potentially more.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#962 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@horgen: F***ing covid.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#963 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@horgen: F***ing covid.

I am beginning to dislike one store here. I got three orders there now, all are delayed again and again.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#964  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

Well alternative build your self TV cabinet arrived and honestly for the price I am impressed. Perfect for my HTPC needs...

Future PC build will be mini ITX 110%!

Got the Switch the high end PC and all I need is the PS5 and the game room is complete!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#965 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: That TC cabinet look a lot like mine. Except I got it all white and perhaps an inch higher up form the floor :P Looks nice!

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#966 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@horgen: Thank's man.

I have been thinking about getting a smaller PC build.

Thinking Ryzen 5900X and a RTX 3080 or 6800XT build in ITX form.

Need to do some thinking, probably wont do it because I have no reason to as 4K is GPU bottlenecked still and my 6 core coffee lake is still tearing through with ease.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#967 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@horgen: Thank's man.

I have been thinking about getting a smaller PC build.

Thinking Ryzen 5900X and a RTX 3080 or 6800XT build in ITX form.

Need to do some thinking, probably wont do it because I have no reason to as 4K is GPU bottlenecked still and my 6 core coffee lake is still tearing through with ease.

I am waiting on an ITX case. But it is for my second computer which I use for folding at home. The RTX 2080 goes there once I get it.

Getting the EK PE280 in it will be difficult, it might have to go on the front of the case. Taking some chances here, as it supports dual 140 fans, but not a 280 radiator.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#968 horgen  Moderator

Finally got the waterblock on the RTX 3080 and could lower fan speeds again. Actually went lower than what I had on RTX 2080. Case fans 700 rpm, radiator fans 500 rpm. Silence yet again... Hopefully it won't get to hot, also hope for no leakage. None discovered yet.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#969 horgen  Moderator

Leakage testing.. And a poor picture showing how shiny the EK backplate is

It gets hot though so I guess it does its job.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#970 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@horgen: I am very tempted to go fully water on my next build... But I also really want to go ITX so I can throw my PC on the cabinet and call it a day and finally centre the shelves and tv as its triggering my OCD. The PC is blocking the cabinet from going all the way left and I can't put the PC on the other side as the door swings open over there :(.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#971 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@horgen: I am very tempted to go fully water on my next build... But I also really want to go ITX so I can throw my PC on the cabinet and call it a day and finally centre the shelves and tv as its triggering my OCD. The PC is blocking the cabinet from going all the way left and I can't put the PC on the other side as the door swings open over there :(.

You can get decent ITX cases that support water cooling. Granted it will be cramped and probably not worth it if you change CPU/GPU on a yearly basis.

I am waiting on the NXZT H210i case. I wonder if I can fit the 280 EK radiator in it. Otherwise I need to get a 240 one. CPU will be aircooled, the GPU water cooled.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#972 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@horgen: I just watched reviews of a NZXT H1... I think this will suit me, I'm leaning towards a 5900X and a RX 6800 build in it.

Will wait for reviews for the 6800 of course but the 5900X is a no brainer for me right now 2x the cores and better IPC than my 8700K.

I might do it next year once all this corona settles down.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#973 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@horgen: I just watched reviews of a NZXT H1... I think this will suit me, I'm leaning towards a 5900X and a RX 6800 build in it.

Will wait for reviews for the 6800 of course but the 5900X is a no brainer for me right now 2x the cores and better IPC than my 8700K.

I might do it next year once all this corona settles down.

Once I get my hands on it I can post my impressions. Granted I got nothing that really goes into the case yet, as I don't have an ITX board. My secondary rig is getting a small upgrade.. and I don't think it is any point to throw the i5 6600K in it. Sure it an upgrade from the 3570K in it now, but I think that rig need something to welcome it to the 20's. Main rig got 3900X so it is good to go for another few years.

Secondary rig is used for folding. Put my old GPU in it.

Refreshing my secondary build will take a while. I hope I get the case this year(everything seems to be delayed by months on average). As I am not quite sure where my old D5 pump will go in it. Might have to get a new one. Looking at itx boards... See where the bang for buck CPU from AMD lands when it comes to price.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#974 horgen  Moderator

Some more awful quality pictures. Perhaps I shouldn't be having the light facing the camera next time

The backplate.. An EK one, is shiny. My case appears to be filled with dust as well.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#976 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@horgen, Holy dust! Clean that glass. lol Have you had any issues with EVGA PSUs?

-

It's tempting to set money aside in a couple months for a Ryzen 9 CPU and 6800 XT. Assuming you'll be able to find one to actually purchase it. With the current shortages of high-end cards from nVidia and Ryzen 9s being sold out... everywhere, I'm not sure how the new AMD cards will fare.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#977 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Stevo_the_gamer:

Well it turns out stock for AMD GPU's are worse than Nvidia stock for ampere... Especially here in the UK, according to a close friend who works for a big online retailer they had almost 3x the stock for AIB cards for RTX 3080/3090 than they do for RX 6800XT and 6800, and apparently they have ZERO reference cards from AMD.

3060 Ti and 3070 stock according to him are also at ZERO stock and they have no idea when they will get a shipment, the 3090 is the only GPU you can get but its just the budget models like the PNY XLR8 and Zotac Trinity.

Its absolute trash launch for both companies when it comes to stock.

Looks like we all have to wait till late January for stock.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#978  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@horgen, Holy dust! Clean that glass. lol Have you had any issues with EVGA PSUs?

-

It's tempting to set money aside in a couple months for a Ryzen 9 CPU and 6800 XT. Assuming you'll be able to find one to actually purchase it. With the current shortages of high-end cards from nVidia and Ryzen 9s being sold out... everywhere, I'm not sure how the new AMD cards will fare.

The lighting highlight how dirty it is. I didn't realize it was this bad before I took the picture.

I got my hands on a RTX 3080 so I am good to go. Got Ryzen 9 3900X last year... Or the year before that.

Edit: Realized I never answered about the PSU. Nah, no issues what so ever. This is the EVGA G2 Gold 1300W. Which is perhaps the loudest PSU EVGA has. The 1600W has the same fan speed. It has no eco mode, and fan doesn't go below 1000-1100 RPM. Which given my obsession with noise, is why I saved up to change it. Keep it as a spare. Has EVGA had some bad batches with their PSUs?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#979 horgen  Moderator

@Stevo_the_gamer:

The glass is a little better, the inside of the computer is not though :P

I need either canned air or a compressor and clean it.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#980 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@horgen said:

@Stevo_the_gamer:

The glass is a little better, the inside of the computer is not though :P

I need either canned air or a compressor and clean it.

I think I've always been too nervous for a reservoir, due to the potential (no matter how slim) of it leaking. I did rock a closed-loop system, but with my current build, I went with just a simple air cooler.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#981  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@Stevo_the_gamer: I was in the beginning. Learned some of the weakpoints different parts have. Got loads of extra gaskets as they don't like it when I take the loop apart. When I switch case I will go with something different so I can get quick disconnect nipples at the GPU and CPU. Atm I only got it between the external rad (inlet and outlet) and on the inlet to CPU.

Looking a little on the Lian PC-O11D XL ROG Silver. Probably go for a new pump as well. Combined res and pump, new case and a couple of QD and we are talking 500-550$. This isn't cheap =/

The plus side though is that I got enough cooling if I want to throw in a 3090 with modded BIOS that raises the powerlimit to 1000W.

Edit: Custom loop isn't for everyone. It is a lot of work at times. I do leak test, and I've had leaks at times that could have killed my PSU. I've also dropped compression nipples as they are more work than they are worth imo. Looks nicer though.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#982  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I got impatient and just grabbed me a RTX 2080super

Nice jump in performance across the board from the 1070 I had

Gonna move the GTX 1070 over to the other PC

and I guess now the GTX 970 will be spare in case something happens.
Next plan is new monitor, better fans in the case and maybe more ram.
But monitor will come first before the others.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#983 horgen  Moderator

@kitty: How is the case?

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#984 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@horgen I love this case, the only complaint I have with it that is a easy fix is the case fans it comes with.
They do the job, but are loud. I'll eventually replace them. I mean it doesn't bother me too much, but it could someone else.
I'm just looking for a terrible excuse to buy more rgb fans tbh xD

Air flow after 1 year of owning I can say is good. At first I didn't think it would be, but it shocked me.
Another thing I noticed is how the dust is in this case. The picture if you can see, I might have to take another with the glass panel off. There isn't much dust in there. I mean there IS some, but not a whole lot. My old case would have been filled with it.
But I haven't had to do much dust cleaning in the upper part. It mostly goes down in the bottom part of the case and in the back where the cables are. I paid $129 USD for this and I can say I've been extremely happy with it.

I'm debating on future upgrades now, like an AIO, another 16GB kit of ram.
But maybe I shouldn't xD

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#985 horgen  Moderator

@kitty: I have the little brother, H210i, which I will be using for an ITX build. Where the stock fans very airflow focused, but low on air pressure?

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#986  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

have just ordered a 55" LG CX series OLED in preparation for a 3090(if i ever find one available). also having trouble finding a >=20' HDMI 2.1 cable.

will be fine still gaming at my desk on my 1440p ultrawide but i always like being able to turn to the TV and put my feet up with a gamepad for racing, platformers, and a few other types of games. the LG CX being 4K\120Hz, i'll need the HDMI 2.1 cable to hit it's full potential.

just finishing up a first run through Cyberpunk 2077. with a custom setup of mostly ultra settings i can currently get a good 55-65fps. really can't wait to finally get a 3090 and crank up the other settings with RTX enabled for a second run through it down the road.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#987 BassMan

@elessarGObonzo: You will need a fiber optic HDMI 2.1 cable for longer runs. Here is a good one...

https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-Dynamic-Flexible-Projector-Theatre/dp/B081SFN2FG?th=1

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#988  Edited By elessarGObonzo

@BassMan: and that is what i mean by having trouble finding one, no way i'm paying >100$. i've just setup my brother-in-law's system with a $40 16' Basesailor HDMI 2.1 that runs 4K\120Hz perfectly. no way i'm paying 4x that for another 4'.

more product and some lower prices have been popping up since December. i would guess it's brought on by higher demand from all of the new toys everyone got for Christmas and those prepping for nex-gen systems. hopefully by the time i get my hands on the new card exactly what i'm looking for will be available.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#989 BassMan

@elessarGObonzo: Traditional cables can only carry full bandwidth over a short distance. As soon as you need a longer cable run, you have to pay a premium for the fiber optic cables. I have a 50' fiber optic HDMI 2.1 cable that runs from my bedroom PC to my living room TV.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#990 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:

@elessarGObonzo: Traditional cables can only carry full bandwidth over a short distance. As soon as you need a longer cable run, you have to pay a premium for the fiber optic cables. I have a 50' fiber optic HDMI 2.1 cable that runs from my bedroom PC to my living room TV.

Fiber cables are softer too, aren't they? I got an older HDMI cable, 10m (30feet I think) and it is thick and stiff. As what I wanted to do worked poorly (could be the TVs fault) I haven't used it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#991  Edited By BassMan

@horgen said:
@BassMan said:

Fiber cables are softer too, aren't they? I got an older HDMI cable, 10m (30feet I think) and it is thick and stiff. As what I wanted to do worked poorly (could be the TVs fault) I haven't used it.

They are a lot thinner, but you have to be careful not to bend them too much or apply too much pressure to a specific point as the fiber inside will snap and then the cable is fucked. They are fine though as long as one does not handle them like an idiot.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#992 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:

They are a lot thinner, but you have to be careful not to bend them too much or apply too much pressure to a specific point as the fiber inside will snap and then the cable is fucked. They are fine though as long as one does not handle them like an idiot.

I'll keep it in mind if I decide to try again.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#993 elessarGObonzo
@horgen said:
@BassMan said:

most of the higher "wall rating" cables i've used still seem to be pretty stiff. i guess this has something to do with their fireproofing rating. but a lot of the newer higher length cables usually have a smaller gauge and are softer and more flexible making running from room to room or floor to floor easier than the older cheap cables that were all rather thick & stiff. the generic 30' 2.0 that i'm currently using is much more flexible and damage resistant, has been running under a rug for a couple years being stepped on practically every day and snaked around a couple rather sharp 90° angles.

considering that most of the 10' 2.1 cables i checked out last fall were >$100, and the 16' i just got a few weeks ago was $39.99; i'd say the prices for decent 2.1s should continue to drop as it becomes more of the standard.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#994 horgen  Moderator

Waiting for the mobo to my new smaller secondary computer build... I will still be missing a CPU for it. It will be one of the R5 5000 series Ryzen CPUs.

However with the mobo in place (it's probably coming next week) I can put together most of the build and make a complete loop. I might need some other parts to keep the pump/res combo in place. It's a small build so I am unsure about getting the quick disconnects in place.

Avatar image for dirty_old_klunt
Dirty_Old_Klunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#995 Dirty_Old_Klunt
Member since 2020 • 20 Posts

I normally do red builds, but this time I fancied Blue with a red twinge.

My first AMD CPU in about 15 years (at least)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#996 BassMan

@dirty_old_klunt: Hey Klunty, it's good to see you posting again. I thought you had given up all this stuff for good, but congrats on getting a 3090. Also, it looks like your PC could double as a dark room to develop some photos. hehe :)

Avatar image for dirty_old_klunt
Dirty_Old_Klunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#997 Dirty_Old_Klunt
Member since 2020 • 20 Posts

@BassMan: Hey man. I did give everything up. When life changes you roll with the punches. I feel very lucky to have got a 3090 FE and at retail too, I've seen them in stock once. My son is on the lookout for a 3090 too so we're F5ing the 3090 links all the time. That's RGB in my PC, I change it now and again. Purple with green accents at the moment.

I didn't think the GS PC board would be so desolate.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#998 horgen  Moderator

@dirty_old_klunt said:

@BassMan: Hey man. I did give everything up. When life changes you roll with the punches. I feel very lucky to have got a 3090 FE and at retail too, I've seen them in stock once. My son is on the lookout for a 3090 too so we're F5ing the 3090 links all the time. That's RGB in my PC, I change it now and again. Purple with green accents at the moment.

I didn't think the GS PC board would be so desolate.

Trump didn't politicise computer hardware. That gotta be it. :P

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#999  Edited By elessarGObonzo

LG OLED55CX running 4K 120Hz from my 1080 Ti. also handles HDR very well. ended up getting a 2x pack of 16.5' HDMI 2.1 + a 9' HDMI 2.1 extension cable(male to female) for ~$50 all together. both are rather flexible braided cables. we'll see now if they stand the test of time.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1000  Edited By BassMan
@elessarGObonzo said:

LG OLED55CX running 4K 120Hz from my 1080 Ti. also handles HDR very well. ended up getting a 2x pack of 16.5' HDMI 2.1 + a 9' HDMI 2.1 extension cable(male to female) for ~$50 all together. both are rather flexible braided cables. we'll see now if they stand the test of time.

Congrats on the TV. I am interested to see the results with that cable setup when you have an HDMI 2.1 GPU. It is hard to get 4K/120hz HDR G-Sync (4:4:4 or RGB Full) working over longer lengths without a fiber optic cable. I notice from your screenshot that you are only doing 4K/120 8bit 4:2:0.