Show Us Your Stuff - v2.0

#651 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

Just got the NF-F12 PWM fans this morning and installed them... Night and day in terms of the noise they make and the temps are better. Probably the best purchase I could make to be honest super quiet system now! GPU stays below 60c and CPU hovers around 58-66c during gaming.

#652 Posted by Horgen (120599 posts) -

Ah Noctua. Their colour scheme destroy everything. Luckily they are packed away in a box.

#653 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@horgen: It matches the ugliness off the mustard PSU cables.

#654 Edited by Horgen (120599 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: True dat. You got a soundcard in there too?

#655 Posted by AcidTango (1678 posts) -

My motherboard died out on me few weeks ago and I had to replace it with the same model. It took me a while to get it but man was it terrible for me to go back to my old PC. I couldn't play any latest games on it since it has the old i7-860 and GTX 660 lol. Thankfully I finally got my new motherboard and installed everything on it. Since it was the same model as the previous one, Windows 10 recognized everything and my computer is the same as it was before.

#656 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@horgen said:

Wireless Asus network card... I don't use it anymore since I am all wired up I just left it in because I lost the case PCI shields :(.

#657 Posted by Horgen (120599 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@horgen said:

Wireless Asus network card... I don't use it anymore since I am all wired up I just left it in because I lost the case PCI shields :(.

Who will see it if you take it out?

#658 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@horgen said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@horgen said:

Who will see it if you take it out?

I will know and ill lose sleep over it....

#659 Edited by BassMan (10387 posts) -

I got my replacement 2080 Ti and my rig is whole again. Time to test it out...

#660 Posted by Horgen (120599 posts) -

@BassMan: that looks loud.

#661 Edited by BassMan (10387 posts) -

So far so good with the replacement card. I haven't had a single crash to desktop. :)

@horgen said:

@BassMan: that looks loud.

I know you like your silence, but the sound level is decent. Everything is running on custom fan profiles and I keep the RPMs low. The CPU requires the most cooling. So, I got the 360mm radiator with 6x120mm fans in push/pull. I have it setup as an intake so that it is always getting outside air and not getting any heat from inside the case. This allows the fans to run at a lower RPM and the CPU stays cool unless you are pushing it with something like Prime95. So, it doesn't dump too much heat inside the case as the CPU rarely gets to high temps. The video card does well with its triple fan cooler and I got the single 140mm Noctua fan with the colours you love so much as the exhaust fan. hehe :) The case itself has the sound deadening material on the panels which helps as well.

#662 Posted by Horgen (120599 posts) -

@BassMan: The noctua fans work. I just hate the look of them.

I still think I have some of them left. If fixing the car doesn't cost to much, I'll get Ryzen 3K processor, might as well try switching out some fans and see if it helps.

#663 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@BassMan: Does your 2080 Ti run at 84c also... The KFA2 I have was a nightmare, good thing I got it to Kraken mod it. 2080 Ti's are hot chips even with a Kraken I hit 70c when overclocked.

#664 Edited by BassMan (10387 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@BassMan: Does your 2080 Ti run at 84c also... The KFA2 I have was a nightmare, good thing I got it to Kraken mod it. 2080 Ti's are hot chips even with a Kraken I hit 70c when overclocked.

The cooler on the Zotac Amp is a beast (just look out how far it sticks out from the reference PCB). My 2080 Ti temps are in the low 70s with a custom fan curve that does not get too loud.

#665 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

The cooler on the Zotac Amp is a beast (just look out how far it sticks out from the reference PCB). 2080 Ti temps are in the low 70s with a custom fan curve that does not get too loud.

Nice... I could have gotten that model over mine but £70 less got me a G12/H55 to stick on it.

I had the AMP 2080 and temps where similar, I just assumed the temps would be higher with a Ti. Its probably the best "cheap" model you can get from the RTX line IMO. I am just a sucker for noise... I need it to be quiet as I game at night often and everything is louder then.

#666 Edited by BassMan (10387 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@BassMan said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

The cooler on the Zotac Amp is a beast (just look out how far it sticks out from the reference PCB). 2080 Ti temps are in the low 70s with a custom fan curve that does not get too loud.

Nice... I could have gotten that model over mine but £70 less got me a G12/H55 to stick on it.

I had the AMP 2080 and temps where similar, I just assumed the temps would be higher with a Ti. Its probably the best "cheap" model you can get from the RTX line IMO. I am just a sucker for noise... I need it to be quiet as I game at night often and everything is louder then.

I can relate. Nobody likes a noisy rig. For me, I want my rig to be quiet during idle and production tasks. I try to keep the noise to a minimum while gaming, but I usually play with headphones at night and I don't hear it. My mechanical keyboard is the noisiest thing for me.

#667 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@BassMan said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I can relate. Nobody likes a noisy rig. For me, I want my rig to be quiet during idle and production tasks. I try to keep the noise to a minimum while gaming, but I usually play with headphones at night and I don't hear it. My mechanical keyboard is the noisiest thing for me.

Funny you mention keybaords... I just ordered this morning a FNATIC Ministreak with silent red keys. I love my Razer but its too loud man, sounds like a machine gun when I type at night.

#668 Edited by Weird_Jerk (636 posts) -

I couldn't resist. I refreshed all morning and pulled the trigger on:

• STRIX B450 ITX
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Crucial 1TB M.2
  • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance
  • 2TB Toshiba external for backing up all my crap
  • EDIT: Just ordered a D15 because it can fit...
  • a shrunken down FD Core 500 case to fit it all in

Can't wait for the new build. Going to pass my current SATA SSDs and GTX 780 into that rig until a newer GPU piques my interest. The 1660 ti was close, but the price is still crazy for GPUs imo. May check CL in the coming weeks.

That Ryzen 5 3600 ought to be a decent upgrade though. Still on my ol' FX 8320@stock lol.

#669 Posted by AcidTango (1678 posts) -

@BassMan:

Good to see you getting your RTX 2080 card back. I had to replace my motherboard which was a nightmare for me since I had to use my old PC which only had the GTX 660 so I couldn't play any latest games for a while. Do you plan on getting the RTX 2080 Super or wait for the next gen Nvidia cards?

#670 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

I have been on a purge recently to get the quietest build possible but not sacrifice performance... Just got the Fnatic miniSTREAK with silent reds and oh my they are ridiculously silent compared to a Razer Blackwidow 2014 Tournament Edition I had, plus RGB on a keyboard is the only RGB I can accept.

#671 Edited by BassMan (10387 posts) -

@AcidTango said:

@BassMan:

Good to see you getting your RTX 2080 card back. I had to replace my motherboard which was a nightmare for me since I had to use my old PC which only had the GTX 660 so I couldn't play any latest games for a while. Do you plan on getting the RTX 2080 Super or wait for the next gen Nvidia cards?

I have the 2080 Ti and not the 2080, but thanks nonetheless. I am glad you got your MoBo back too. As far as 2080 vs. 2080 Super... I don't think that is an upgrade that most people would make as the performance difference is not great. These Super cards are basically for people that came late to the RTX party. They are Nvidia's way of flexing their muscle and claiming superiority to AMD's latest Navi GPUs. Myself, I will most likely sell my 2080 Ti and buy the top end GPU of Nvidia's next-gen cards.

#672 Posted by BassMan (10387 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I have been on a purge recently to get the quietest build possible but not sacrifice performance... Just got the Fnatic miniSTREAK with silent reds and oh my they are ridiculously silent compared to a Razer Blackwidow 2014 Tournament Edition I had, plus RGB on a keyboard is the only RGB I can accept.

I like the minimalist look of the keyboard. No crazy bezels around it... just the keys. Also, that wrist rest looks very comfy. How is the feel of the keys though compared to your old mechanical? I have the MX Brown with O-rings. They are not crazy loud, but if I could get a similar feel and have it be quieter, I would consider buying a new keyboard as well.

#673 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I like the minimalist look of the keyboard. No crazy bezels around it... just the keys. Also, that wrist rest looks very comfy. How is the feel of the keys though compared to your old mechanical? I have the MX Brown with O-rings. They are not crazy loud, but if I could get a similar feel and have it be quieter, I would consider buying a new keyboard as well.

It's not as sharp and feels more cushioned than the 2014 blackwidow but I guess that is the trade off with it being so quiet... It feels almost as good as a non quiet switch but sounds like a membrane keyboard so its in my opinion the best of both worlds. The build quality is excellent of this thing and the cushion is wonderful.

Selling point of this switch is the noise and it knocks it out the park.

The are linear switches so they won't have that tactile feel your brown switch has and or the razer green(blue) switch I had... BUT its drastically quieter!

#674 Posted by AcidTango (1678 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@AcidTango said:

@BassMan:

I have the 2080 Ti and not the 2080, but thanks nonetheless. I am glad you got your MoBo back too. As far as 2080 vs. 2080 Super... I don't think that is an upgrade that most people would make as the performance difference is not great. These Super cards are basically for people that came late to the RTX party. They are Nvidia's way of flexing their muscle and claiming superiority to AMD's latest Navi GPUs. Myself, I will most likely sell my 2080 Ti and buy the top end GPU of Nvidia's next-gen cards.

Thanks. I got the same Motherboard model as the old one so when I installed everything on it, Windows 10 in my SSD recognized everything right away and my computer ran the same as it did before as if nothing had happened. I was lucky to find the same Gigabyte motherboard from Newegg because for some reason I couldn't find it anywhere else to buy it. Canada's Computer, Best Buy, and even Amazon stopped selling it and Newegg was the only one that had it so I got really lucky. My PC has been doing great so far. And as for the RTX Super cards, I agree with you on this, I don't feel the need to upgrade it as well. I'm fine with my current RTX 2060 and will get a new card in the future when I build my next PC.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#675 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3248 posts) -

Upgrade incoming. I just need to find a new case...

#676 Posted by BassMan (10387 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: Oh shit... I sense a beast rig incoming....

#677 Posted by Horgen (120599 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

Upgrade incoming. I just need to find a new case...

Congrats. I would have pulled the trigger on the 3900X already and a fitting mobo if it wasn't for a 1200$ bill at the car mechanic.

#678 Posted by ronvalencia (28067 posts) -

@horgen:

Noctua does sell grey colored fans.

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/redux

#679 Posted by Horgen (120599 posts) -

@ronvalencia: I know Noctua has two other lineups with better colours as well. Just that beige and brown colour scheme is sort of the trademark they got.