Show Us Your Stuff - v2.0

#601 Posted by comp_atkins (35699 posts) -
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@BassMan said:

@comp_atkins: Looking good. Nice mattress! ;)

Ain't that a dog bed?...

it is a dog bed :)

#602 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@BassMan said:

@comp_atkins: Looking good. Nice mattress! ;)

Ain't that a dog bed?...

it is a dog bed :)

Looks similar to the one that my brothers pug used for...

#603 Posted by DaVillain- (36580 posts) -

@BassMan: What's your take on Nvidia's Super? 2080Ti Super and it ain't a rehash, just straight up new GPU. But this is just a rumor, not something I cannot see Nvidia screwing 2080Ti owners.

#604 Posted by BassMan (10220 posts) -

@davillain-: I would have to see what it offers, but no word on a 2080 Ti Super yet. I look forward to the next gen of RTX.

#605 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

I want to redo the internal light strips in the computer. But that isn't happening before I have another reason to take everything out of the computer.

#606 Edited by BassMan (10220 posts) -

@horgen: Beast PSU and radiator.

#607 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

@BassMan said:

@horgen: Beast PSU and radiator.

I had 980Ti SLI earlier. I want to scale down to a 850-1000W Platinum or Titan rated PSU. Semi passive mode. This one has the fan running at a minimum 1100rpm or so.

#608 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

I am looking at getting faster RAM... 3200 at CL14 or 3600 at CL16?... Would there be a difference?... In terms of price they are very close.

Oh and I have a RTX 2080 Ti on the way... Don't ask, its a addiction I am dealing with.

#609 Edited by BassMan (10220 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I am looking at getting faster RAM... 3200 at CL14 or 3600 at CL16?... Would there be a difference?... In terms of price they are very close.

Oh and I have a RTX 2080 Ti on the way... Don't ask, its a addiction I am dealing with.

3200 CL14 has a performance rating of 228.57 and 3600 CL16 has a performance rating of 225. Both are very similar. Just make sure the memory chips themselves are Samsung B-Die.

You should have went with the 2080 Ti right away. :) Did u get another deal from your friend?

#610 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

3200 CL14 has a performance rating of 228.57 and 3600 CL16 has a performance rating of 225. Both are very similar. Just make sure the memory chips themselves are Samsung B-Die.

You should have went with the 2080 Ti right away. :) Did u get another deal from your friend?

Sure are, they are the Team Group Dark Pro 8pack edition B-die sticks surprisingly cheap at £139 for the 3200/14 and £149 for the 3600/16.

Well of course but I ended up returning that 2080 last week to him due to weird coil wine in games that have high frame rates for some reason and was about to get a Duke 2080 for £500 but then he told me they had a KFA2 RTX 2080 Ti Dual Black that he can throw my way for £800 and well... Now I am concerned with my RAM and hunting for a new kit, I have a problem.

#611 Posted by BassMan (10220 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Me too...

#612 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@BassMan said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Me too...

That will be me as soon as Intel 10nm CPU's hit with their rumoured 18% IPC increase and PCIe 4.0 for faster M.2 boot drives.

#613 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

Here are pictures of my latest hardware relapse.

I just pushed the sliders to 112% and added a extra 500Mhz on the VRAM and got 25,751 on Firestrike.

#614 Posted by DaVillain- (36580 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Daaaamn that's a nice GPU Grey. Just can't justify 2080Ti price myself but then again, I'm very happy with my 2070. I have no regrets either :)

#615 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@davillain-: The 2070 overclocked to 2K is a beast for the price, I had one and loved it... I'm just a whore for performance/hardware I don't think a year has gone by without me swapping out a GPU since I had a 780 Ti.

Also this GPU looks good but the temps and fans at anything past 60% aren't as great as the Strix 2070 or even the 2080 Amp I had. Its okay though as I planned on throwing a G12 and 120mm AIO on it probably next weekend... First thing first is faster RAM.

#616 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

So switched RAM today. And now I got coil whine

#617 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@horgen said:

On RAM?... Damn, I just returned a RTX 2080 because of coil wine its. What kit is it?

I just ordered HyperX Predator 3333/CL16, literally 1/2 price of 3200/CL14 and substantially cheaper than 3200/CL16 RGB kits, looked through dozens of reviews on RAM speeds and timings and yeah anything better 3000/CL16 you hit diminishing returns for gaming vs price. Still have no idea what I was thinking grabbing that 2400/CL15 kit... Well I do, it was on sale for £67.

#618 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

New RAM came in this morning... I bumped up my CPU overclock to 5GHz and did a bench on firestrike scoring 26,738.

I should be bottleneck free now... Well I game off a SSHD so might need to swap that out for a 1TB WD Blue M.2 soon.

#619 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@horgen said:

On RAM?... Damn, I just returned a RTX 2080 because of coil wine its. What kit is it?

I just ordered HyperX Predator 3333/CL16, literally 1/2 price of 3200/CL14 and substantially cheaper than 3200/CL16 RGB kits, looked through dozens of reviews on RAM speeds and timings and yeah anything better 3000/CL16 you hit diminishing returns for gaming vs price. Still have no idea what I was thinking grabbing that 2400/CL15 kit... Well I do, it was on sale for £67.

It was the GPU. But it is gone now. It was low noise and I am not entirely sure it was coil whine. Not very familiar with it. It went away if I turned off folding on the GPU. But now it is gone.

#620 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@horgen: Sounds like what was happening to my 2080... It was fine running games that are in 60-90fps area but as soon as I boot up a game like CSGO where my framerates are in the 300+ area I would hear this strange coil wine, super annoying and just becomes your back ground noise even thought its actually not that loud. Hope it doesn't come back... I just got rid off mine as I was still under the 28 day guarantee.

#621 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@horgen: Sounds like what was happening to my 2080... It was fine running games that are in 60-90fps area but as soon as I boot up a game like CSGO where my framerates are in the 300+ area I would hear this strange coil wine, super annoying and just becomes your back ground noise even thought its actually not that loud. Hope it doesn't come back... I just got rid off mine as I was still under the 28 day guarantee.

I'll test with forza horizon 4 later today. Everything seems back to normal now. I had to dismantle parts of the water cooling loop, that might have had something to do with it.

#622 Edited by Horgen (120484 posts) -

New RAM. Preparing somewhat for Ryzen 3900X that I expect to buy soon. Had to remove on radiator to install the new RAM, didn't bother putting it back. It was used as passive cooling anyway so very little lost, hence the paper towels there. Re did the lightning inside the case.

Now I can see all the dust extra clear :D

#623 Edited by BassMan (10220 posts) -

@horgen: I see you got the non RGB kit like me. Good man. :)

#624 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@BassMan said:

RGB has a £20-40 mark up for the same speeds and latency... Not worth it at all.

#625 Edited by BassMan (10220 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@BassMan said:

RGB has a £20-40 mark up for the same speeds and latency... Not worth it at all.

I purposely avoid getting RGB products when I can. I have a closed case with no clear side panel so there is no light bleed. I turn off all internal lights and peripherals lights when possible. The only exception is my keyboard as I like the lit up keys in the dark. Even then, my keyboard is just basic bitch white. lol

#626 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@BassMan: Yeah I need a back light keyboard also... Can't see the keys at night. I don't mind lights from my PC at all but it if comes at higher cost for no reason other than having lights then I'm good. I was about to get 3200/CL16 Trident RGB for £115 but then came across the Predator 3333/CL16 for £89... I just couldn't do it. Same goes for C14 3200 RAM on my 1440 and 4K resolution its just a waste, its only good for 144+ 1080p monitors over CL16.

#627 Edited by BassMan (10220 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: For me, it is all about immersion. I don't want lights and other things distracting me. I setup the lights in my room so that they don't reflect off the monitor. I also turn my monitor away from the windows. As you can see, my case is directly behind my primary monitor acting as a stand for my secondary monitor. I don't usually have the action figures set up or that monitor light on either. That was just to have a little fun. :) I no longer have that Razer Seiren mic as it died (replaced by Blue Yeti). I usually turn the mic around though when not in use so I don't see the lights. When I am using it, I set it on the desk by my mouse for better sound capture. The little blue lights from the speakers actually aren't distracting. So, I don't cover them up, but I do turn off the speakers when I am using headphones. I am thinking about buying some blackout curtains too for daytime gaming.

#628 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

@BassMan said:

For 90% of the time I have the lights off. So why bother with the extra cost?

#629 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@BassMan: Yeah I need a back light keyboard also... Can't see the keys at night. I don't mind lights from my PC at all but it if comes at higher cost for no reason other than having lights then I'm good. I was about to get 3200/CL16 Trident RGB for £115 but then came across the Predator 3333/CL16 for £89... I just couldn't do it. Same goes for C14 3200 RAM on my 1440 and 4K resolution its just a waste, its only good for 144+ 1080p monitors over CL16.

Get B-die. CL14 3200 or CL15 3600

#630 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@horgen said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Get B-die. CL14 3200 or CL15 3600

What for?... I don't game at 1080p with all my settings on low on a 240Hz display to see a difference.

RAM is only problem at 2400/2666Hz for gaming on Intel but even then its only a issue with 1080p and at some games at 1440p.

At 1440p going from 3000/CL17 to 4000 CL17 makes little to no difference and at 4K there is no difference.... So a 3000 CL15 or 3200 CL16 kit is pretty much all you need for gaming on Intel at 1440p.

Loading Video...

#631 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: It makes a difference the higher FPS you are trying to achieve, or the more CPU dependent the game is. And also just because. :P

#632 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@horgen said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: It makes a difference the higher FPS you are trying to achieve, or the more CPU dependent the game is. And also just because. :P

Maybe at 1080p but not 1440 that resolution is still GPU bottlenecked even with a RTX 2080 Ti overclocked... And 1080p is still CPU bottlenecked its why any RAM improvement helps.

I was about to for the f*** of it just get 3200/CL14 but at 2x the price?... Nah, rather use that extra money to buy another Kraken G12 and water cool my 2080 Ti where I will actually get a performance boost and a quieter system.

#633 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@horgen said:

Maybe at 1080p but not 1440 that resolution is still GPU bottlenecked even with a RTX 2080 Ti overclocked... And 1080p is still CPU bottlenecked its why any RAM improvement helps.

I was about to for the f*** of it just get 3200/CL14 but at 2x the price?... Nah, rather use that extra money to buy another Kraken G12 and water cool my 2080 Ti where I will actually get a performance boost and a quieter system.

Ah, here it was only a little more for 3200 CL14 I think.

#634 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@horgen said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@horgen said:

Ah, here it was only a little more for 3200 CL14 I think.

Lucky... We always get shafted here.

#635 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Lucky... We always get shafted here.

I was surprised myself. Might have something to do wit RGB vs non RGB though.

#636 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

@horgen: The Ram I was going to get was £140 and had no RGB it was the Team Group Dark Pro B-Die 3200/CL14... Then I noticed CL16 3200/3333 Ram for £75-89 and started researching just how much of a difference it would make between the two for gaming at my resolution of 1440p and the answer was almost none.

#637 Posted by elessarGObonzo (2545 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@BassMan said:

I purposely avoid getting RGB products when I can...The only exception is my keyboard as I like the lit up keys in the dark. Even then, my keyboard is just basic bitch white. lol

i avoided all LED options for years and still can't stand all the bright colors I see everywhere else. now I've gone with a very dim white to dark blue breathing pattern running on EVGA's LED Sync between my 1080 Ti and CLC 280's CPU plate. Dark Base case also has two very slim very dim white lines running up the front-sides that actually look pretty cool. usually try to avoid all the gaudy colorful distractions.

after having my Corsair RGB LUX keyboard all set to a dim white for a long time I accented some of the "more important" gaming keys with the same dark blue as the system; W S A D, 1 2 3 4, F1 F5 F9, and navigation(Home, End, Arrows) keys and I like it more than I anticipated. really not distracting in the slightest. while typing/gaming in the dark it seemed to really help with speed and accuracy just barely noticing the color groups out of the corner of my eye(s).

have a couple LED strips in my case but only use them on a dim white when showing it off in person or taking pictures, 99% of the time set to "off".

#638 Edited by BassMan (10220 posts) -

I have downgraded and gone back to a 1080 Ti. Just kidding, it's only temporary... hehe :)

I had to RMA my 2080 Ti that was giving me random crashes to desktop. So, I picked up a used 1080 Ti for $650 CAD to hold me over until I get a replacement 2080 Ti from Zotac.