Should I wait on Windows 10 to build new PC?

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

Just wondering since it's out in less than two months. Would that make things easier, instead of getting 8.1 then the upgrade? what would you guys do?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Build your pc now and enjoy it, you will be able to upgrade to Win10 from Win 8.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would likely just build it now, you can get win10 for a year with no issues.

On a seperate yet still relavant notion to this, anyone else found the wording for signing up for the update slightly odd? Or did I mistake soemthing initially, when I thought it was "just for one year" you could do it?

I am unsure If it is an European thing, but the third bulletpoints states "when you have downloaded Windows 10 you own it" the small print seems to be worded that you have 1 year to accept the jump, not only 1 year to upgrade. Ofcourse this is some butchered version of English translation since my OS is not English. Anyone have a better cut and dry notion of it is a year of updating or a year of accepting the upgrade?

back to topic, just build the PC now, you would just get stuck in the constant cycle of something nearly comming out to wait for.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

If it's not 100% needed right now I'd wait till the end of the year. Windows 10 will be live, dx12 as well. With both of those comes the new cards from AMD and Nvidia marking a generation leap in technology, not an incremental one like we've had for the last 6 years. Also AMD and Intel should by then have new processors out, also marking a generational leap.

Honestly building a pc right now IMO is the dumbest thing to do. Why buy a computer with the last in a generation of hardware that houses all it's incremental changes and improvements when literally months away you can have one based off of the tech they've been perfecting for the next big leap in performance and efficiency to put us literally into the next generation of pc gaming.

Why buy current gen when next gen pc hardware is just around the damn corner?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17851 Posts

@ribstaylor1: Seeing as Nvidia and AMD will not be releasing their next series of GPUs until 2016.... you might as well buy now. Unless you are holding out for Intel Skylake CPU which will come in a few months.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

If it's not 100% needed right now I'd wait till the end of the year. Windows 10 will be live, dx12 as well. With both of those comes the new cards from AMD and Nvidia marking a generation leap in technology, not an incremental one like we've had for the last 6 years. Also AMD and Intel should by then have new processors out, also marking a generational leap.

Honestly building a pc right now IMO is the dumbest thing to do. Why buy a computer with the last in a generation of hardware that houses all it's incremental changes and improvements when literally months away you can have one based off of the tech they've been perfecting for the next big leap in performance and efficiency to put us literally into the next generation of pc gaming.

Why buy current gen when next gen pc hardware is just around the damn corner?

Ugh, I understand this all too well. This latest hardware jump just can't come fast enough. I know next gen hardware like Skylake, DDR4 RAM, Windows 10, etc. are just around the corner, but I just finished my college semester and now have all the free time to build, since I'm on summer vacation.

But there's no point in building now since anything I build will be outdated in about 1-2 months.

So I'm stuck. During the school year, my parts list for my next PC was ready, but I never had any time to actually order, build and game. Now, I have all the time in the world, but now my parts list is ''To be updated''...

HapiJoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 HapiJoel
Member since 2011 • 113 Posts

I'm in much the same situation as OP, thinking about putting something together now XCOM2 has been made PC only (and Fallout 4 is on the way...), though I'd probably not have the funds until the end of the year at this rate as I'm starting from scratch.

With Skylake and W10 coming in the second half of the year I'll probably aim to wait a little while after the jump.

With this kind of next-gen leap in tech, are there usually any issues with backwards compatibility/system stability issues that I should be aware of when it all kicks off?

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Has microsoft said if windows 10 will be tied to be motherboard yet?