Should I wait for a new build or get it now?

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

Im just scared the new stuff will be a huge step up compared to the current one Im planning to build:

9700k, 32gb 2666mhz ram, 2080 Nvidia, Decent Mobo z390.

I mean, given how poorly Nvidia sold last quarter i think they might even lower prices before coming out with new cards... This and perhaps new cpus-gpus are much better than this and cheaper too...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17790 Posts

There is always something better coming out in the future. That is just the way it is. Personally, I would hold off at this point and wait for the Ryzen 3 CPUs to come out (mid 2019). I don't think there will be new GPUs from Nvidia probably until Q4 at the earliest. Also, it is not worth getting 32GB of RAM unless you need it for production work. 16GB (3000mhz+) is more than enough for gaming and normal use.

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GiveMeSomething

@BassMan: I plan on streaming, i think the ram will help, dont u think? Are ryzen 3 cpus supposed to be better than 9700k? or just cheaper

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BassMan

@GiveMeSomething said:

@BassMan: I plan on streaming, i think the ram will help, dont u think? Are ryzen 3 cpus supposed to be better than 9700k? or just cheaper

16GB is good for streaming. Your CPU is more of a factor. 9700K is limited to 8 threads. Current Ryzen 2700(X) has 16 and the Ryzen 3700(X) will have higher clock speeds than current gen which will make it a better CPU overall than 9700K. This will help with multi-tasking like the streaming you mention.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

wait for ryzen 3000 series and navi, but if you have to build now, then id say 2700X, X470 mobo, 32 GB 3200 mhz ram and a 2080

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GiveMeSomething
@urbangamez said:

wait for ryzen 3000 series and navi, but if you have to build now, then id say 2700X, X470 mobo, 32 GB 3200 mhz ram and a 2080

@BassMan said:
@GiveMeSomething said:

16GB is good for streaming. Your CPU is more of a factor. 9700K is limited to 8 threads. Current Ryzen 2700(X) has 16 and the Ryzen 3700(X) will have higher clock speeds than current gen which will make it a better CPU overall than 9700K. This will help with multi-tasking like the streaming you mention.

Ive actually read a bit more and it seems 3700X will be quite the deal. However, i just found out about PCI 4 and 5.0 are coming very soon. I might just postpone this whole thing and forget stream and just play games with my current 980 TI

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BassMan

@GiveMeSomething: PCIe 4 & 5 provide more bandwidth, but current generation of cards are not starved of bandwidth. So, it is definitely a future looking feature and not necessary in the near future. There is also DDR5 coming too, but again, not necessary. Like I said, there is always something better coming and you just have to buy when the time is right for you. I would wait a little bit and get a Ryzen 3700(X) and corresponding PCIe 4 motherboard with some fast DDR4 RAM. You can use your 980 Ti (still decent) with that system if you want to wait for better GPUs. To be honest, the whole RTX lineup is a rip off and not much of an improvement over the 10 series and Radeon is still a joke.

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GiveMeSomething

@BassMan said:

@GiveMeSomething: PCIe 4 & 5 provide more bandwidth, but current generation of cards are not starved of bandwidth. So, it is definitely a future looking feature and not necessary in the near future. There is also DDR5 coming too, but again, not necessary. Like I said, there is always something better coming and you just have to buy when the time is right for you. I would wait a little bit and get a Ryzen 3700(X) and corresponding PCIe 4 motherboard with some fast DDR4 RAM. You can use your 980 Ti (still decent) with that system if you want to wait for better GPUs. To be honest, the whole RTX lineup is a rip off and not much of an improvement over the 10 series and Radeon is still a joke.

i think i will do this, along with getting a "silent" case because i cant stand how loud Pcs are

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts
@BassMan said:

So happy there's some actual competition in the CPU market now. When I finally upgrade this computer, it's looking very likely I'll be going AMD for the first time since 15 years ago when I picked up a 3500+.