Should i run bootcamp to play windows games on my mac

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for YourNextStalker
YourNextStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 YourNextStalker
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts

I recently bought an imac and im not sure if i should run bootcamp. Im guessing that most of you heard about other programs to run windows games on a mac.

Such as,Cider,Crossover and what not.

is there a reason that bootcamp is better if you want just tell me whats so good about it and whats bad.

Game i want to run Left 4 Dead 2

specs:

ATi Radeon HD 4670

Intel Core Duo 2 (3.06ghz)

4gb Ram

1TB HDD

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
you'd get the most performance in games from running bootcamp compared to those other methods. of course this means buying a copy of windows too.
YourNextStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 YourNextStalker

If i just kept Mac OS X and used crossover what would be your recommened settings/graphics be?

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

If you don't have Windows, go with Crossover Games. If you already own Windows, you might want to think before attempting BootCamp. I got VMware Fusion 3. Installs easily and runs games perfectly. Then I tried to instal COD4:MW. Would barely run, and I have about the same specs as you. I did some research, and VMware fusion won't run fps. But bootcamp has trouble running games that are not fps. So I tried to instal bootcamp, and my Mac crashed. Yeah. Wow. Had to re-instal Leopard and Snow leopard, and now my hard drive is wiped. So, I'd save your mac. Go with Crossover. It supports most new games and runs seamlessly.

YourNextStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YourNextStalker

If you don't have Windows, go with Crossover Games. If you already own Windows, you might want to think before attempting BootCamp. I got VMware Fusion 3. Installs easily and runs games perfectly. Then I tried to instal COD4:MW. Would barely run, and I have about the same specs as you. I did some research, and VMware fusion won't run fps. But bootcamp has trouble running games that are not fps. So I tried to instal bootcamp, and my Mac crashed. Yeah. Wow. Had to re-instal Leopard and Snow leopard, and now my hard drive is wiped. So, I'd save your mac. Go with Crossover. It supports most new games and runs seamlessly.

wes008
Ok ill give Crossover a shot and if that dont work ill just go buy Call of Duty 4 modern warfare for Mac systems
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
I find it ironic that people buy a Mac which costs 2-3X more than a Windows PC then still have to install Windows.
wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wes008

[QUOTE="wes008"]

YourNextStalker

Ok ill give Crossover a shot and if that dont work ill just go buy Call of Duty 4 modern warfare for Mac systems

You can also try Crossover Games for free. And you can get COD for Mac?

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wes008

I find it ironic that people buy a Mac which costs 2-3X more than a Windows PC then still have to install Windows. Deihmos

That's what Crossover Games is for. o_O

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]I find it ironic that people buy a Mac which costs 2-3X more than a Windows PC then still have to install Windows. wes008

thats what PCs are for... windows. most people go "I hate windows, it's too buggy, MACs ftw!" then come back a year later and go "how do i install windows on my mac :("
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]I find it ironic that people buy a Mac which costs 2-3X more than a Windows PC then still have to install Windows. wes008

Crossover is for running windows games on linux, it was a second thought to port the program to mac.
YourNextStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YourNextStalker
I find it ironic that people buy a Mac which costs 2-3X more than a Windows PC then still have to install Windows. Deihmos
thats exactly why im not installing windows, i bought a mac because i want something that will last longer than a year without getting a virus. PCs you cant do that very often.
YourNextStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YourNextStalker
[QUOTE="wes008"]

[QUOTE="YourNextStalker"][QUOTE="wes008"]

You can also try Crossover Games for free. And you can get COD for Mac?

yea you can buy Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare on amazon for mac systems for like 35 USD
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]I find it ironic that people buy a Mac which costs 2-3X more than a Windows PC then still have to install Windows. YourNextStalker
thats exactly why im not installing windows, i bought a mac because i want something that will last longer than a year without getting a virus. PCs you cant do that very often.

That statement is flawed, because putting BSD or Linux on a PC won't get you viruses. Anyhow, I hope you do realize crossover games does NOT work for a LOT of games. Also there is a performance cost involved. Do note, it's not an emulator.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]I find it ironic that people buy a Mac which costs 2-3X more than a Windows PC then still have to install Windows. YourNextStalker

Funny, I have no problems not getting a virus on Windows. Apparently Mac users are really terrible at net safety.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
[QUOTE="YourNextStalker"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]I find it ironic that people buy a Mac which costs 2-3X more than a Windows PC then still have to install Windows. JigglyWiggly_

That statement is flawed, because putting BSD or Linux on a PC won't get you viruses. Anyhow, I hope you do realize crossover games does NOT work for a LOT of games. Also there is a performance cost involved. Do note, it's not an emulator.

Yeah its a lot like the whole Wine issue. I tried Ubuntu and Wine, couldn't get some games and apps to work. While things such as Wine or this Crossover are great, they are hardly a replacement for Windows.
Seankieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Seankieran
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

That's what I don't get when people argue for Macs. "Oh, Macs don't get viruses like PCs do." First off they do get viruses, and their website even had to change that statement from "doesn't get viruses" to "doesn't get PC viruses." And besides Anti-Virus software is only $30-$50 a year (or free if your ISP gives it to you) and macs are more than $50 more expensive than PCs.

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

I have not gotten a virus in years. You don't even need an anti-virus.. windows does not attract viruses stupid people do. A virus does not get on your computer without the user opening the door and welcoming it.
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

Apple and mac user smugness towards viruses has only helped target them combined with the ever increasing popularity of nub computers- i mean macs, they are no longer a haven from viruses.

Anyways any half competent person can find one of the many great anti virus programs or just surf and download with a bit of intelligence. Even if you get a virus it isn't the end of the road for your computer, not by a long shot.