Should I Play Fallout 1 and 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Underworldy69
Member since 2009 • 251 Posts

I bought the games but never installed them. Do you think I should go head and give them a try before New Vegas?

SaPhIrX_lOl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 SaPhIrX_lOl
Member since 2009 • 592 Posts

There cannot be a no to this question.

Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Underworldy69

lol, i will give it a try. I never actually played an RPG before the PS2/Xbox generation. The oldest I have played was an RPG from 2005 (Fable).

drymcatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 drymcatch
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Course YES!!! Its a legendary RPG. To bad that Black Isle haven't got their time to finish Van Buren.
ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ucme4k
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts

I bought the games but never installed them. Do you think I should go head and give them a try before New Vegas?

Underworldy69
If you can handle the graphics, they are the best fallouts.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts
They're two of the best RPGs ever made, and New Vegas seems to be continuing where 2 left off (at least with the NCR stuff?), so I'd definitely recommend playing them. The graphics and interface take a bit to get used to, but if you give them a chance you'll probably love them.
AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts
Its extremely dated so if you dont like dated gamres then dont even touch it, but if you dont mind go for it. Its much different from Fallout 3 I found that out the hard way.
Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

The best games in the series. Don't expect any handholding and get ready to die a lot. It's great though.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Why would you buy them and not play them?
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Since you already bought them there's no reason not to. However, they're nothing special, Fallout 3 is waaay better as are most RPGs, most people's opinion about them is just clouded by nostalgia

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Since you already bought them there's no reason not to. However, they're nothing special, Fallout 3 is waaay better as are most RPGs, most people's opinion about them is just clouded by nostalgia

Darth_Kane
Maybe. The combat is pretty mediocre compared to today's RPG's. I'm still at the beginning of the game so I can't say much about the story and roleplaying aspects.
Tanya_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Tanya_19
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts
Why would you buy them and not play them?nethernova
probably were cheap on steam lol
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

SkyWard20

Maybe. The combat is pretty mediocre compared to today's RPG's. I'm still at the beginning of the game so I can't say much about the story and roleplaying aspects.

The roleplaying aspects are good (probably the only reason people like those games), but the story and the characters are nothing special or memorable

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"][QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

Darth_Kane

The roleplaying aspects are good (probably the only reason people like those games), but the story and the characters are nothing special or memorable

really? because compared to the complete crap of a story/writing/characters that Fallout 3 had, the previous 2 are a gold mine.

The world is much more intresting and diverse, as are the characters. And the writing is absolutly fantastic, much better and a lot funnier then Fallout 3 ever was.

And I say this as someone who only played the original 2 games recently. I found them to be much better then Fallout 3, and much better then virtually any RPG out there.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Sure, why not? Classic games.
ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ucme4k
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts

Darth_Kane
I would say most peoples opinions on thinking fallout 3 is better then the other 2 is clouded by not playing the other 2(till the end), because of the old graphics.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Darth_Kane

For you, but not for others. Remember that a opinion does not equal fact. Do not judge other people's opinions that contradict your views on what's logic..

For example, i own and play them regulary, not because of nostalgia, or some bull like that, but because i consider them far superiour compared to Fallout 3(which i own, played and finished), except for the graphics. They're special, in every way, and one of the greatest RPG's ever made.

To each he's own.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SkyWard20

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"] Maybe. The combat is pretty mediocre compared to today's RPG's. I'm still at the beginning of the game so I can't say much about the story and roleplaying aspects.cobrax25

really? because compared to the complete crap of a story/writing/characters that Fallout 3 had, the previous 2 are a gold mine.

The world is much more intresting and diverse, as are the characters. And the writing is absolutly fantastic, much better and a lot funnier then Fallout 3 ever was.

And I say this as someone who only played the original 2 games recently. I found them to be much better then Fallout 3, and much better then virtually any RPG out there.

Do your companions even say anything? All I can talk to them about is tactical advice. There are RPG's out there that have far better combat.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#19 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
I say go for it. The only bad thing that can come from it is that you don't like them. They have some great role playing in them but they have some issues running on newer systems. I couldn't get FO1 to play on my Vista computer. All the sprites except for right around the characters were black...then while playing Fallout 2 the friendly AI was terrible both times. In one playthrough Marcus would unequip anything i gave him and just try to punch people and then in the other playthrough Vic would only run from every situation. also people forget that FO1 has very little humor in it. not nearly the amount of pop culture nods in fallout 2
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Well, expect to be dissapointed when you start the game..... you have to five em a while to grow in you, i mean the game are ancient they have very diffirent values than the current games. Watch some gameplay and if you think its still "Yay" then you wont have any problem with the game since the major turn down is the old top camera and the turn based combat system.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Yes, play them. I played them after Fallout 3 and consider them far superior to Bethesda's poorly written, buggy, shallow game. They are basicly better than Fallout 3 in every way except graphics.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SkyWard20
[QUOTE="kieranb2000"]Yes, play them. I played them after Fallout 3 and consider them far superior to Bethesda's poorly written, buggy, shallow game. They are basicly better than Fallout 3 in every way except graphics.

And gameplay. Don't tell me you actually enjoy getting killed by rats?
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
[QUOTE="SkyWard20"][QUOTE="kieranb2000"]Yes, play them. I played them after Fallout 3 and consider them far superior to Bethesda's poorly written, buggy, shallow game. They are basicly better than Fallout 3 in every way except graphics.

I didn't get killed by rats. Because I don't suck at the game :P Gameplay is much better than Fallout 3's "Lets make shooting so terrible it makes Bioshock look like F.E.A.R" approach.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Doesn't matter play them after or before... they play nothing a like and I doubt New Vegas will reference anything from the first games. From what I remember the only reference to the older games in Fallout 3 was that tree mutant in Oasis.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="kieranb2000"]Yes, play them. I played them after Fallout 3 and consider them far superior to Bethesda's poorly written, buggy, shallow game. They are basicly better than Fallout 3 in every way except graphics.SkyWard20

You actually got killed by rats? :lol:

marilyn_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 marilyn_78

I wouldn't. I found the earlier fallout games to be quite boring but that's just me.

Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Underworldy69
Why would you buy them and not play them?nethernova
not much time. fallout 1 and 2 were tough games for me to sit down and learn how to player. Come on... i'm lazy, lol. I just started playing again.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Go ahead and try, but don't expect an uber amazing experience that you need to die afterwards because nothing else can compare. I didn't get very far into Fallout 1 (I got the waterchip back online) and then didn't want to continue any further. I'm sure it was amazing back in the day, but its still decent today, but it won't blow your socks off.

lechu515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lechu515
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
IMHO, Fallout 1 and 2 are FAR better than Fallout 3. They're just classics. This climate, long gameplay, quests, lots of ways of playing... Old graphics just doesn't count now. And the sound of Pancor Jackhammer or Bozar ripping guts out of enemies... Ahhhh. ^^
nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

Don't play it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

Doesn't matter play them after or before... they play nothing a like and I doubt New Vegas will reference anything from the first games. From what I remember the only reference to the older games in Fallout 3 was that tree mutant in Oasis.Threesixtyci

New Vegas is set 40 years after Fallout 2 and one state across. We've already seen screenshots of one iconic Fallout 2 character, and the daughter of another will make an appearance. Plus, the game will be borrowing ideas from the original Fallout 3 (Van Beuren, made by more-or-less the same team behind Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas), which was following on from the NCR's story in Fallout 2...so I think it's safe to say that there'll be quite a few references.

Fallout 3 was made by a different company for an entirely different audience, so it makes sense that they kept the references to a minimum.

Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Underworldy69

Don't play it.

nikola96
any... reason?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

i just started trying to play the first two but i find them hard to get into, i'm new to turned based gameplay so they seems very different from what i'm used to.

kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts
I say give it a go, what's the worst that could happen? I fell in love with these games when they came out during the time I started serious PC gaming. Admittedly they're not for everyone, just like how the Infinity engine games aren't for everyone. I would even go so far as to say that it's hard to go back to Fallout 3 after you've played these.
Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
Fallout 3 is for kids who like gore/action. fallout 1 and 2 is for adults who want to get the most out of a game.
mrblueberrycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mrblueberrycg

I played both Fallout 1 and 2 about half a year ago and that was my first time to play them so for me there definitelly wasnt nostalgia involved. I enjoyed both games and for me they are among the best games of all time. For me the combat was great, you get awesome weapons and hilarious death animations. And of course the role playing aspect is very satisfying so I played a lot of different characters. In terms of writing and humor these games are much better than Fallout 3. So dont mind the graphics, just play the games and Im sure you will like them:)

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Two amazing RPGs, some of the best ever created. Naturally extremely different to today's RPGs, however it might just click for you in time. Make sure you read the manual.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

also noteworthy is Fallout 2's ability to play online in an MMO style with the Fallout Online mod. About 500+ people are on at any one time, and you can do crafting, build a home, make friends, make money, go hunting, and even fight other players.

Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="Artosa"]Fallout 3 is for kids who like gore/action. fallout 1 and 2 is for adults who want to get the most out of a game.

I see your point but I loved Fallout 3 but I always avoid combat because thats not what I play for and I also toned down the gore settings in the FWE mod.
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Two amazing RPGs, some of the best ever created. Naturally extremely different to today's RPGs, however it might just click for you in time. Make sure you read the manual.

lol. mine didn't come with a manual.
Sta1k4r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sta1k4r
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

Yes. Definetly. They are amazing games, although alittle dated. I'm on and off playing Fallout and its great. Also there are story connections that Fallout 1 and 2 have to New Vegas and 3, But they are great games anyway. They have a quirky sense of humour and are quite fun (that isometric view actually suits them and the hexagons make perfect sense.) The combat takes alittle getting used to, as there is no tutorial, but after you figure it out the game is utterly amazing.

nocturial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nocturial
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

Fallout 1 and 2 were the best games i ever played. It's difficult to tell how many times i played them through. Fallout 3 was a disapointment for me, cuz it had more in common with oblivion rather than fallout. Personally, i miss all the random encounters which were sooooo fun to find, turn based combat, loads of funny easter eggs, as well as that true rpg touch to it. And no i'm not "clouded by nostalgia" like some dude said, i didn't like F3 that much cuz bathesda made it like re-skined, re-textured oblivion with guns and some gore and they took what was best in fallout, the fact that even though the in-game athmosphere was heavy the game was not taking itself too seriously...

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]Two amazing RPGs, some of the best ever created. Naturally extremely different to today's RPGs, however it might just click for you in time. Make sure you read the manual.

lol. mine didn't come with a manual.

Could be as a PDF. Only way I understood various things in FO1.