should i get a mac or a windows laptop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#1 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

i need a new laptop because my pc is wrecked and old. all i use the pc for is the internet and itunes (which is making me more interested in a mac) i also think mac laptops look great (hardware and software) and of course the wholelack of viruses which have plagued my windows pc for the last few months.

but the reason i havnt gone for a mac already is the limited software on it,or at leased i have been told its limited. i burn a lot of dvd's for my family and would need nero for that. i would also need software to convert my dvd's to work with my ipod and have already paid for xilisoft and i am unsure if it works for mac (its ridiculous that the ipod doesnt come with video converting software) anyway what should i do??

Mac OR Windows?

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

Get a Mac. You can just dual-boot windows with Boot Camp.

This is coming from a die hard PC user, and I will never get a Mac.

But you don't play games, and you seem interested in a Mac, so go for it.

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 d_ano

Get a Mac. You can just dual-boot windows with Boot Camp.

This is coming from a die hard PC user, and I will never get a Mac.

But you don't play games, and you seem interested in a Mac, so go for it.

Thompsonwhore

yes i have a ps3 and a wii so i never use my pc for games. but how bad is software support?? i dont want to have to buy all my software from apple the rip us off so bad

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

Booting in Windows on a Mac is the same as booting in Windows on a PC.

You'll be able to run all your software under the Windows OS while using the Mac.

buxboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 buxboy
Member since 2004 • 6940 Posts

For a laptop, its always Mac for me. For a desktop, it is always windows.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

For a laptop, its always Mac for me. For a desktop, it is always windows.

buxboy

Same here - I'd definitely get the Macbook (no need for the Pro in your case) for what you're doing.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
If you want a Mac that is sitll game-worthy, your options include: - MacBook Pro - my suggestion is the mid-priced 15"er, as it gets the 256MB 8600M GT and with a 1440x900 resolution, still would have enough power to run games quite well at native res for longer than the 17" model. - any current iMac with an HD 2600 in it. - Mac Pro with the 8800GT upgrade would be hard to beat. Ridiculous CPU power. :D Honestly, once you start playing with the Mac and using its software, you may find you like it much better than running on Windows. And if you get Parallels 3 or VMWare Fusion, then you could even load up Windows and run games on it without having to dual-boot at all. :P Only downside is then you need additional RAM - some for OS X to run with, and then enough to allocate to the guest OS running within it. There may be less software titles on the Mac OS, but usually what's there for a purpose is quite good. Connect360 for example makes the media sharing software to stream to a 360 on Windows look pathetic. And Office for Mac is so far ahead of Office on Windows; but then again if you knew your computing history, you'd know why that is the case. :P
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RayvinAzn

And Office for Mac is so far ahead of Office on Windows; but then again if you knew your computing history, you'd know why that is the case. :Pcodezer0

Only a fool would be using Microsoft Office at this point in time. OpenOffice for me, thank you very much.

Utsusemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Utsusemi
Member since 2006 • 31 Posts
I too would get a mac if i needed a laptop. Not like i'll ever play any intensive games on a laptop anyways. And the mackbook air is just so sexy.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 codezer0

Only a fool would be using Microsoft Office at this point in time. OpenOffice for me, thank you very much.

RayvinAzn
I get Office (for windows) for free from the school. And I've tried using OpenOffice and others, but have run into far too many instances where they did not read Office-format docs correctly.
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RayvinAzn

I get Office (for windows) for free from the school. And I've tried using OpenOffice and others, but have run into far too many instances where they did not read Office-format docs correctly.codezer0

I haven't run into any such problems, but to be quite honest I haven't really messed around with a whole lot of office programs either. OpenOffice works just fine for my own personal use in my home, and in a business setting I figure you wouldn't have to pay for it anyway, which makes it a good deal for the money if nothing else.

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 d_ano

well mac it is, thanks a lot guys

just 1 more thing do ye know if itunes would run better on a mac because its slow and annoying on my pc

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 codezer0
iTunes was initially made for the Mac. It uses quite a bit of RAM for a media player, but it's been the best/safest alternative to the old WinAmp that I'd got to enjoy early on. Now I've a bunch of music from iTunes legally and ready for an iPod. :P
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
PCs offer more freedom and are generally cheaper. I honestly never used a Mac though.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 codezer0
PCs offer more freedom and are generally cheaper.Deihmos
Freedom in what? With a "PC" as it is defined here, you've got to use either Windows, WIndows, or... Windows. :| Linux for anything other than a server is a sad joke at best, and a nightmare at its worst. At least with a (real) Apple Macintosh, you no longer are just stuck to running Windows anymore. You can if you want to, but the freedom of having that alternate choice is a big value to some, far outweighing the iniital sticker price.