SHould I change any of the router settings for pc?

DeltaX_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DeltaX_basic
Member since 2003 • 203 Posts

Just wondering I usually put the router settings for consoles to get open connection. Just wonder if I should bother with pc? Should I change the DNS also? I usually go for the google dns for consoles seems good to me. It's just for pc I think may be to much since there is way to many programs and stuff to deal with that is why I don't touch it much.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@DeltaX_basic: Set up QoS for all gaming devices.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@DeltaX_basic said:

Just wondering I usually put the router settings for consoles to get open connection. Just wonder if I should bother with pc? Should I change the DNS also? I usually go for the google dns for consoles seems good to me. It's just for pc I think may be to much since there is way to many programs and stuff to deal with that is why I don't touch it much.

A good modern router knows how to do UpNP and QOS automatically. I haven't changed anything in routers for years now and all my PC games work fine.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

No you shouldn't have too, during 360's day I would to get the NAT open, but during the end it changed I use to open ports and do all that stuff but never found any real difference.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@DeltaX_basic said:

A good modern router knows how to do UpNP and QOS automatically. I haven't changed anything in routers for years now and all my PC games work fine.

I don't know of any router that will do QOS automatically.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@FelipeInside said:

I don't know of any router that will do QOS automatically.

Means it can handle traffic better than cheaper routers. Some even have just a tick-box enabled that prioritizes multimedia traffic. You don't need to manually assign QoS rules etc.