Setting RAM voltage in BIOS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

columbia93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 columbia93
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts
My RAM defaults to 1.8V however my Crucial Ballistix RAM are 2.0V. I adjusted them in BIOS - up 0.2V - and it now reads at 1.92V. Do I keep this setting or should I increase the BIOS by another 0.1V?
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Are they OCed? The only reason you up the voltage is to OC and get a stable system.
purpleRz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 purpleRz
Member since 2007 • 889 Posts
They will have a voltage regulator in them, don't worry about it.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Are they OCed? The only reason you up the voltage is to OC and get a stable system. X360PS3AMD05

I think he means that his BIOS has a default setting of just 1.8v, but his RAM is meant to have 2.0v to work at its rated speed. If you don't up the voltage to its recommended level then it won't run at the rated speed.

columbia93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 columbia93
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

Exactly! Crucial Ballistix 2gx2 sticks. The first sticks were 2.2 and I didn't realize I needed to manually set the voltage. I started getting memory errors and crucial said this was the problem and to return them. The replacements are at 2.0v. The system defaults to 1.8V.

The problem is, I went into BIOS and increased the voltage by 0.2V but, when I saved out of the system, it says 1.92V. Wondering if I need to increase it by another 0.1V. If no one knows the answer, I can easily contact Crucial. They don't respond as fast as this group but they do respond.

Side note: I'm also having a huge problem that MS has created with some bug that pops up with updates and affects the Welcome Screen. You end up with a black screen and no way to log in. By all accounts, I'm going to have to reinstall Vista and, since I had to reinstall the day after I set up my computer because of a blue screen issue, this is my 3rd key. As you may probably guess, I am one p****d off lady!

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

They will have a voltage regulator in them, don't worry about it.purpleRz

What makes you think RAM has voltage regulators in them? RAM can easily fry with to much voltage, and have errors with to little voltage.

OP: are you running the sticks at the rated speed and timings, if so then 2.0 MIGHT be needed. They are guaranteed to reach those setting with no more than 2.0v, but if it can run them with less volts, it's a good thing.

Â