This topic is locked from further discussion.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

I had no idea a Serious Sam 3 was in the works, complete with its own Serious Engine 3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=76361

That's just one source, google Serious Sam 3 and you'll find others.

http://www.seriouszone.com/gallery/seriousengine3

The new engine looks impressive, at least for a SS engine. While I am looking forward to SS3, I hope it's an improvement over 2. Serious Sam First and Second Encounter kicked ass for what they were, but Serious Sam 2 felt very lacking on so many levels. Hopefully SS3 will be modeled more after the feel of gameplay and atmosphere of the originals.

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Sweet, I loved the other Serious Sam games, I can't wait to see how this one turns out.
stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 stevendiep_100
Member since 2004 • 2193 Posts
I was never into serious sam, but the amount of enemies on screen with no slow down made me crap myself
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JP_Russell
By the way, can anyone translate the text in this screenshot? You'll have to scroll toward the right quite a bit. http://www.seriouszone.com/gallery/seriousengine3/SeriousSam3
Desklampz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Desklampz
Member since 2005 • 79 Posts
Cant wait.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I have known about this for a long time now. I think I made a topic about it a long time ago... or maybe it was someone else. Still it's good to know that people are still curious.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JP_Russell
Bump.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Nice.
Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts
It better be good this time.
HupHupOranje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HupHupOranje
Member since 2006 • 1450 Posts
One of the best co-op games ever.
Bruno_1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bruno_1979
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

By the way, can anyone translate the text in this screenshot? You'll have to scroll toward the right quite a bit. http://www.seriouszone.com/gallery/seriousengine3/SeriousSam3JP_Russell

they say that the game is developing nicely and that judging from these exclusive pics croteam will make another great game hoping to surpass the success of the first sam

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smokeydabear076

[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]By the way, can anyone translate the text in this screenshot? You'll have to scroll toward the right quite a bit. http://www.seriouszone.com/gallery/seriousengine3/SeriousSam3Bruno_1979

they say that the game is developing nicely and that judging from these exclusive pics croteam will make another great game hoping to surpass the success of the first sam

I wasn't the biggest fan of Serious Sam 2 so personally I am hoping that they go back to the original formula.
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
Sweet,I live in Croatia and i didnt know the game is in work,cant wait.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Croteam really disappointed me with Sam2, so I really hope they are able to win back some respect. Sam2 sacrificied most everything that made the Sam1 episodes great. They just tried too hard to appeal to console gamers. As a result, it didn't appeal to either console gamers or pc gamers.

Sam2 was much smaller in scale than Sam1, the battles were smaller, and they tried to be too cute with a bunch of silly nonsense than didn't fit well in the Sam world. It also didn't deliver the physics integrated with gameplay that Croteam promised. I still like playing an occasional old-school style shooter, but Croteam must wise up and figure out what made Sam1 much more successful than Sam2.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 smokeydabear076

Croteam really disappointed me with Sam2, so I really hope they are able to win back some respect. Sam2 sacrificied most everything that made the Sam1 episodes great. They just tried too hard to appeal to console gamers. As a result, it didn't appeal to either console gamers or pc gamers.

Sam2 was much smaller in scale than Sam1, the battles were smaller, and they tried to be too cute with a bunch of silly nonsense than didn't fit well in the Sam world. It also didn't deliver the physics integrated with gameplay that Croteam promised. I still like playing an occasional old-school style shooter, but Croteam must wise up and figure out what made Sam1 much more successful than Sam2.

Qixote
Exactly. They should make the game with the PC in mind and port it to consoles. It worked well with the original game.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JP_Russell

[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]By the way, can anyone translate the text in this screenshot? You'll have to scroll toward the right quite a bit. http://www.seriouszone.com/gallery/seriousengine3/SeriousSam3Bruno_1979

Ah, I see, thank you very much.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JP_Russell

Qixote

So it's not just me, then? I'm not the only one who felt Serious Sam 2 wasn't, well, serious enough? I also felt that they were trying to be cute and silly, which caused the story to lose all sense of forboding. In the original two games, even though there was humor around every corner and some oddly designed enemies that sometimes bordered on wacky, they managed to keep you feeling like you were actually fighting a truly evil force.

In SS2, I could have been Bugs Bunny fighting armies of Elmer Fudds and Yosemite Sams for all I cared. Like I said, it just lost the "seriousness" that was the secret ingredient that somehow made you interested in the otherwise ridiculous story of Serious Sam. It kind of reminds me of Duke Nukem I & II or Jazz Jackrabbit, where all those games were kind of silly, but you still felt like you were fighting a really bad guy.

For me, that was actually the most disappointing aspect of SS2. The second most disappointing was, as you mention, the smaller battles and battle arenas. In fact, each battle seems to have a limit to how many enemies can be spawned and attacking you in that area, and everytime you kill an enemy another will respawn. In contrast, in the originals they usually just kept spawning again and again, and if you didn't kill them quickly enough you risked being overwhelmed. It doesn't help that Croteam promised to have bigger enemy armies and battle arenas in SS2, a pretty blatant lie.

There were various smaller things that were disappointing, like cheesy bosses, little use of ragdolls, too much focus on the points (whereas before they were more like a neat, old-fashioned feature on the side), less specialized weapons, a lot of cool old enemies didn't return, NPC's that were there just to be there, the most disappointing ending to a game to ever exist, etc., etc.

That said, I didn't hate SS2. I semi-enjoyed it. But God, I was hoping for so much more, and somehow they gave us less than the originals did. So, I too really hope they go back to the formula of the original games.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="Qixote"]

JP_Russell

So it's not just me, then? I'm not the only one who felt Serious Sam 2 wasn't, well, serious enough? I also felt that they were trying to be cute and silly, which caused the story to lose all sense of forboding. In the original two games, even though there was humor around every corner and some oddly designed enemies that sometimes bordered on wacky, they managed to keep you feeling like you were actually fighting a truly evil force.

In SS2, I could have been Bugs Bunny fighting armies of Elmer Fudds and Yosemite Sams for all I cared. Like I said, it just lost the "seriousness" that was the secret ingredient that somehow made you interested in the otherwise ridiculous story of Serious Sam. It kind of reminds me of Duke Nukem I & II or Jazz Jackrabbit, where all those games were kind of silly, but you still felt like you were fighting a really bad guy.

For me, that was actually the most disappointing aspect of SS2. The second most disappointing was, as you mention, the smaller battles and battle arenas. In fact, each battle seems to have a limit to how many enemies can be spawned and attacking you in that area, and everytime you kill an enemy another will respawn. In contrast, in the originals they usually just kept spawning again and again, and if you didn't kill them quickly enough you risked being overwhelmed. It doesn't help that Croteam promised to have bigger enemy armies and battle arenas in SS2, a pretty blatant lie.

There were various smaller things that were disappointing, like cheesy bosses, little use of ragdolls, too much focus on the points (whereas before they were more like a neat, old-fashioned feature on the side), less specialized weapons, a lot of cool old enemies didn't return, NPC's that were there just to be there, the most disappointing ending to a game to ever exist, etc., etc.

That said, I didn't hate SS2. I semi-enjoyed it. But God, I was hoping for so much more, and somehow they gave us less than the originals did. So, I too really hope they go back to the formula of the original games.

I agree entirely.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#19 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Man, this is great news! The thing I've always enjoyed with the Serious Sam games is how great they can look even on fairly low settings, while still scaling very, very well. Wish more pc developers would try doing that with their engines. :evil:
Shadow-Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shadow-Eagle
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts
Whoa. Didn't even have a clue they were making Serious Sam 3. One of the best Co-Op games I've ever played. Thanks for the news.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Yeah, I heard about this quite a while ago, but it is defnitely fantastic news!!!

Finally, another proper COOP game, there just haven't been enough (What happened Blacksite?)

I 100% agree with you guys that Serious Sam 2 was....lacking. Personally, one of my biggest letdowns in gaming. I couldn't even bring myself to complete it tbh, although I loved Serious Sam and Serious Sam The Second Encounter.

Hoping for the best with SS3!

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 smokeydabear076
Man, this is great news! The thing I've always enjoyed with the Serious Sam games is how great they can look even on fairly low settings, while still scaling very, very well. Wish more pc developers would try doing that with their engines. :evil:codezer0
Yeah that would be nice.
gamerminds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamerminds
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
yeh sam looks so serious in this part its really 3 its awsome great graphics work i hope engine is comptaible over all no lacks like its sm2 part in some levelz! otherwise its great!! hope reqquriements is also good~!!1!!!!!1!!1!1
brain20035

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#24 brain20035
Member since 2004 • 2042 Posts
thanks for sharing the good news
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JP_Russell
Bump
Starshootr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Starshootr
Member since 2007 • 280 Posts

The Engine itself looks excellent. Can't wait to see it in action.

The one hope I have about SS3 is that it won't be as large of a flop as SS2 was. I've been a SS fan since the start, and I was rather disappointed about how boring the gameplay turned out to be. I hope Croteam learned from its mistakes, and make SS3 one damn good game.