Selling digital games I don't play..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 giant11
Member since 2003 • 760 Posts

OK, so I have a few games I bought digitally and just never got around to playing. For example:
*Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne

*Sins of a Solar Empire

*Minecraft

I was wondering if there's a market for this. Can digital games be sold anywhere other than to a friend? Ebay? Any input is appreciated.

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm not soliciting. I just wanna know if there's a legitimate way of selling such games.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
You could probably attempt to sell them on ebay, assuming the games are not tied to an account. (not sure if impulse is, I assume it is, as is battle.net)
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It'll be hard considering most CD-keys are tied to one account nowadays. Imho, to be a PC gamer, you might have to take out re-selling games out of your mind. It isn't going to happen unless it's a much older game. The most recent game that I could think of, off the top of my head that I could sell without issues is Crysis, but publishers and developers have gone heavy with DRM. Even Crysis Warhead had the limited install DRM. With that said, you have to be absolutely sure what you're selling will allow the buyer to be able to play the game 100%. Some games you could sell and they can play the single player campaign, but have no access to online multiplayer due to account tie-in. You could piss people off and it'll end up being a hassle instead. Ultimately, I don't think you'll have much luck selling digital games, let alone retail boxed ones.
giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 giant11

Thanks for the input. I guess Ebay is something to try.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
probably not unless they are not linked to any account and maybe be able to sell cd-key BTW you might wanna check greenmangaming if you worry about sticking with games you dont want. Is like steam but allows you to trade your games ( now how they make that business model to work digitally i dont know but i bought deathtrack and i trade it for necrovision and world of goo )
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Only if you sell your account for each of those services. When you buy digital games you have the option of gifting it or keeping it. If you keep it, it's forever linked to your account. If you gift it, you can choose to link it with someone else's account. Usually, it sends them an email. If they don't accept the gift, you can gift it to someone else. Either way there is no way for you play the game yourself and then gift it to someone else later. It's always linked to some account.

The exception being a site like Good Old Games where there is no DRM. You just download all the game files and can install on any computer with the CD key they give you. That you could sell to someone else by just giving them the games files on CD/DVD and writing down the CD key for them. That's pretty much only for old games though. New games all have more annoying DRM with either limited activations or linked to account.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

You can't sell digital copies, they are usually tied to that account/

giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 giant11

Only if you sell your account for each of those services. When you buy digital games you have the option of gifting it or keeping it. If you keep it, it's forever linked to your account. If you gift it, you can choose to link it with someone else's account. Usually, it sends them an email. If they don't accept the gift, you can gift it to someone else. Either way there is no way for you play the game yourself and then gift it to someone else later. It's always linked to some account.

The exception being a site like Good Old Games where there is no DRM. You just download all the game files and can install on any computer with the CD key they give you. That you could sell to someone else by just giving them the games files on CD/DVD and writing down the CD key for them. That's pretty much only for old games though. New games all have more annoying DRM with either limited activations or linked to account.

James00715

To me, selling the 'files' of a GoG game seems way more unethical than selling a Steam or Impulse account. From a legal standpoint, however, it might be opposite.