Second partition of the same Windows OS on the same rig?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

So, with my new PC inbound within a new days, I figured I'd give my brother my old (current) PC so that he could have an upgrade over the 2005 fossil he has right now.

The thing is, my current PC has accumulated so many files and personal touches over the years, that despite having made an image backup of it, I'd rather not format my PC. What I would like to do is the following:

Basically, right now I have a Windows 7 partition and a Windows Vista partition (my main OS) on my current PC. I have one hard drive slot left, so what I wanted to do was the following: add an extra hard drive to my PC, install Vista on that new partition for my brother, and then he'd have a clean start.

The main reason why I prefer this option is twofold. One, he'll have his own hard drive and OS to play around with from scratch, and will likely be faster and clutter free without all my junk. Secondly, this would avoid him accidentally tampering with my files, and it would also afford some protection and separation from the rest of the PC were he to get a virus or other malfunction.

He mostly does internet/Youtube browsing mixed with some moderate intensity gaming like Minecraft. I think this solution would work great in the sense he gets a new PC feel (his own accounts, hard drive, games, programs, settings, etc.) and I get to keep my stuff very accessible on a separate partition.

What do you guys think? Is this possible?

(P.S: Also, as an aside, can you guys direct me to some good videos on how to assemble PCs from start to finish? I've been browsing Youtube, some good stuff and some ok, but maybe you guys know where to look for these videos)

Thanks

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Ewwww Vista

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

@GTR12: I know about the horrors of Vista lol, I know. But I don't have any other OSes lying around and he just needs it for web browsing and light gaming. It should be adequate for that I think.

Unless you think I should just leave the trial version of Windows 7 on for him? But what if I'm using that copy of Windows to go from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my new PC? Can I still install Windows 7 even if it's already been activated? Will it stay in trial mode?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@genius2365 said:

So, with my new PC inbound within a new days, I figured I'd give my brother my old (current) PC so that he could have an upgrade over the 2005 fossil he has right now.

The thing is, my current PC has accumulated so many files and personal touches over the years, that despite having made an image backup of it, I'd rather not format my PC. What I would like to do is the following:

Basically, right now I have a Windows 7 partition and a Windows Vista partition (my main OS) on my current PC. I have one hard drive slot left, so what I wanted to do was the following: add an extra hard drive to my PC, install Vista on that new partition for my brother, and then he'd have a clean start.

The main reason why I prefer this option is twofold. One, he'll have his own hard drive and OS to play around with from scratch, and will likely be faster and clutter free without all my junk. Secondly, this would avoid him accidentally tampering with my files, and it would also afford some protection and separation from the rest of the PC were he to get a virus or other malfunction.

He mostly does internet/Youtube browsing mixed with some moderate intensity gaming like Minecraft. I think this solution would work great in the sense he gets a new PC feel (his own accounts, hard drive, games, programs, settings, etc.) and I get to keep my stuff very accessible on a separate partition.

What do you guys think? Is this possible?

(P.S: Also, as an aside, can you guys direct me to some good videos on how to assemble PCs from start to finish? I've been browsing Youtube, some good stuff and some ok, but maybe you guys know where to look for these videos)

Thanks

You could make another account and configure the permissions for that user - that's another option.