Searching for some strategy games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FiRe1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FiRe1987
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts

I would like to play a certain type of strategy games so im wondering if any of you have some recomendations for me.

What im looking for is kind of LOTR BFME 2, Rise of Nations... type of strategy games where you build ur buildings, barracks etc... and train units.

The game must have a skirmish.

The game can be either fantasy like LOTR or realistic like RON, but I don't want modern games, I want more medieval/ancient type of games, swords, archers etc...

I also want the factions in the game to be unique like they are in LOTR, thats one of the biggest things I like in strategy games, unique factions ( For example Age of Empires 3 does not fit this category as the factions pretty much are almost completely the same, have the same buildings, same units with very few exeptions. )

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

Do you like 4x strategy games with RPG elements?

I've put in a lot of hours recently in Fallen Enchantress.

FiRe1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FiRe1987

I do but atm im looking for more of bfme, warcraft3, starcraft2 etc... types of strategy games.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

command and conquer 3 tibirium wars. enough said

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Try Age of Empires Online, it's free after all :D 

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts
I don't play modern strategy games anymore, but Battle Realms was completely awesome back in the day.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

check out Spellforce series.

Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

Warcraft 3. 

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

I would like to play a certain type of strategy games so im wondering if any of you have some recomendations for me.

What im looking for is kind of LOTR BFME 2, Rise of Nations... type of strategy games where you build ur buildings, barracks etc... and train units.

The game must have a skirmish.

The game can be either fantasy like LOTR or realistic like RON, but I don't want modern games, I want more medieval/ancient type of games, swords, archers etc...

I also want the factions in the game to be unique like they are in LOTR, thats one of the biggest things I like in strategy games, unique factions ( For example Age of Empires 3 does not fit this category as the factions pretty much are almost completely the same, have the same buildings, same units with very few exeptions. )

FiRe1987
You and I have very similar tastes, loved BFME 1&2, so I'll throw out some I've loved over the years, unfourtuantly in RTS' these days there has been a great focus on what I call Tactical games, where you control a very small base, a few dozen units at most and only represent a part of your empire/race/army/watever. I prefer the older style real Strategic style games where you control all aspects of economy some city building and way higher population counts. Empire Earth 1&2, if you're up for an older game Empires: Dawn Of The Modern World, ditto Age Of Mythology, ditto again Company of Heroes, WW2 game so you may not be into the setting, 2 is comming out soon The Total War games are excellent, but are half turn-based, only the battles are real-time. I'd recommend Rome, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2, Rome 2 is comming out soonish Sins Of A Solar Empire, space RTS so you may not be into it, but I gave it a chance and loved it (same goes for Galactic Civilzations 2, which is entirely turn-based) And of course have to mention the king: Age Of Empires 2 If you're anything like me you'll probably want to just avoid Starcraft, Warcraft, Supreme Commander and Command & Conquer
Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

modern RTS games are where its at now days, I'd recommend these ones:

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War Series

Company of Heroes Series (Eastern front mod)

CNC Generals

Supreme Commander w/ FA expansion pack

Starcraft II

AOE online

FiRe1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FiRe1987

Some good advices, but some are completely off, did you even read my 1st post guys?

Im not looking for modern or futuristic types of games, im looking for more like swords/archers etc... and can also be fantasy based like BFME or Age of Mythology.

Il check spellforce series, other than that I played mostly all of those recommendations that fit the criteria.

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

Some good advices, but some are completely off, did you even read my 1st post guys?

Im not looking for modern or futuristic types of games, im looking for more like swords/archers etc... and can also be fantasy based like BFME or Age of Mythology.

Il check spellforce series, other than that I played mostly all of those recommendations that fit the criteria.

FiRe1987
the problem is that genre (historic build bases rts ) has sorta died as of lately... so there's not much more out there sadly.
FiRe1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FiRe1987

[QUOTE="FiRe1987"]

theshadowhunter

the problem is that genre (historic build bases rts ) has sorta died as of lately... so there's not much more out there sadly.

Yea that really sucks :\

FiRe1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FiRe1987

What about more fantasy alike ones, like bfme, age of mithology, etc..

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

What about more fantasy alike ones, like bfme, age of mithology, etc..

FiRe1987
Pretty much non-exisistent sadly :(
Spoonoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Spoonoop
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

sounds like you'd like a game called Kohan 2. It's a fantasy RTS available on Steam. There are many factions ranging from humans, to elves, to undead, to demons, and even beast-like races. It's an older game so it's 2D but still fun. One of the drawbacks is that you can't build a base with the same freedom you have in BFME 2. Think how the bases were like in BFME 1

Another fantasy RTS is a game called Heroes of Annihilated Empires. Its similar to Kohan in that there are many races to play and battles can be huge and epic.  However, the game doesn't seem very balanced, theres some bugs, and I haven't found out how to get it to work on Windows 7

Spoonoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Spoonoop
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

sorry for double post, forgot to mention Knights of Honor. Another old RTS game but its more of a grand strategy game set in the middle ages. Think total war but in 2D. There is a grand map of Europe, many many factions to play as, battles play out in real time, manage an empire, etc. 

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
You could always try the Dawn of War 1 series. Its really fun and the fights are great. I just got the first game and love it a lot more than Dawn of War 2. Dawn of War 2 was good but implementation of the multiplayer and some other elements were really bad. I bought all the games in the DoW2 series and was disappointed in the end. Even without the nostalgia and stuff holding me back. You could try Wargame, World in Conflict, watch for Planetary Annihilation, Company of Heroes is amazing, SC2 HotS beta if you havent already.