Saying goodbye to a friend.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dustyn-Barlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Dustyn-Barlow
Member since 2009 • 94 Posts

I am of course talking about my friend the elder scrolls series and the release of the Online portion. This same crap happened to Warcraft. I was a huge fan of Warcraft 2 and 3 but then WOW came out and we havn't talked since. I hate MMO's btw. If Dragon Age switches to an MMO after Inquisition then my gaming hobby is getting tossed to the curb.

Thanks for hearin me rant!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Dustyn-Barlow said:

I am of course talking about my friend the elder scrolls series and the release of the Online portion. This same crap happened to Warcraft. I was a huge fan of Warcraft 2 and 3 but then WOW came out and we havn't talked since. I hate MMO's btw. If Dragon Age switches to an MMO after Inquisition then my gaming hobby is getting tossed to the curb.

I stopped reading there.

Judging a game that hasn't released with the view that you hate the genre is quite useless.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

The game is broken, I don't know how they're going to release it next month; I mean the basic noobs begginer quests are broken, how they allow it?!

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

There are still decent CRPGs out there. You don't have to rely on the big publishing houses. In fact, I'd say avoid them completely. Sure, smaller studios are incapable of the production value that EA and others have, but then if you're just playing for graphics then maybe you really do need a new hobby.

But yea, MMOs suck. I've never played one that was even remotely interesting.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

It seems alright but it's kinda broken here and there atm.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

You make it sound like Elder Scrolls will never have another RPG setting again, I'm sure they're just testing the MMO waters and trying something a little different. You might not like it but oh well, there's plenty of games out there that you can enjoy. I don't like MMOs either and never play them, and yet I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. If you want to give up on gaming just do it, but don't blame it on a genre lol.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7  Edited By True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Dustyn-Barlow said:

I stopped reading there.

Judging a game that hasn't released with the view that you hate the genre is quite useless.

I don't blame him, I dismissed the series as well after watching some youtube gameplay vids of the MMO. Elder Scrolls for me were about exploring a world and non-linear questing, and the imbalances of a single player experience and modding were important to me. There is no way this can work in a competitive online MMO setting. Morrowind is one of if not my favorite game of all time, it's a damn shame Bethesda went this route because it means there will probably not be a classic sp elder scrolls game for the foreseeable future.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@BattleSpectre

@True_Sounds said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Dustyn-Barlow said:

I stopped reading there.

I don't blame him, I dismissed the series as well after watching some youtube gameplay vids of the MMO. Elder Scrolls for me were about exploring a world and non-linear questing, and the imbalances of a single player experience and modding were important to me. There is no way this can work in a competitive online MMO setting. Morrowind is one of if not my favorite game of all time, it's a damn shame Bethesda went this route because it means there will probably not be a classic sp elder scrolls game for the foreseeable future.

But that's the thing, Bethesda DIDN'T go this route.

This MMO is made by Zenimax, and Bethesda have said from the start that they will continue to create SP Elder Scroll games. I even think they mentioned the next one is in the plans right now.

If any game out there was perfect for an MMO, it was Elder Scrolls... I was surprised it took this long to release one. Saying that, if you enjoy ESO for what it is...it's actually a decent game.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#9 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

if bethesda has a new elder scrolls in the works, they should work on characters showing more emotions with their eyes. Personality is important and is one of the major reasons we humans like eachother. a person with no personality might as well just be an animal or machine.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

@FelipeInside: Well I was pessimistic that they would release a SP game instead of simply adding more content to the MMO as expansions, but i guess I also didn't notice that the developer for ES Online isn't even the same as the one that did the other games. That's good news for fans of the franchise that are like me, not fans of the MMO genre.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@True_Sounds said:

@FelipeInside: Well I was pessimistic that they would release a SP game instead of simply adding more content to the MMO as expansions, but i guess I also didn't notice that the developer for ES Online isn't even the same as the one that did the other games. That's good news for fans of the franchise that are like me, not fans of the MMO genre.

Exactly, both can co-exist without any issues, since ESO is set before the events of Morrowind if I'm not mistaken. So they can keep adding content in that story arc while Bethesda can keep doing sequels to Skyrim. If they are smart they can even connect the storylines etc.

Same thing could happen with SWTOR, they could do KOTOR3 but problem there is that it's BioWare for all the products, so time and budget is the problem. Here there are 2 developers.