Sandboxish indie games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by xLittlekillx (1833 posts) -

So over the past month I've come across three really good sandboxish indie games, and I need more.

So far I've played

Terraria: Great! But I have great equipment and I've done everything, so I'm waiting for more NPCs and stuff. Something to give it endless replayability.

Space Pirates and Zombies Beta: I love it so far, but it gets grindy because you can only upgrade your mothership by beating story missions and you have to grind levels to get tough enough.

Project Zomboid: Very good open world zombie game, but it's still in such an early state that it's hard to spend loads of time on it.

What are some others? Anything that lets you build forts and vehicles and defend from ai attackers? I'm open to any suggestions, really. I love these sorts of games. It's always surprised me that big devs with more cash don't make sandbox games.

Oh, and I know about minecraft too.

#2 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5847 posts) -

Din's Curse is a good dynamic sandbox.

#3 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -

If you know about Minecraft... why not give that a go? It fits your description to a T.

#4 Posted by xLittlekillx (1833 posts) -

If you know about Minecraft... why not give that a go? It fits your description to a T.

CaptainAhab13

Not enough happens in it, really. There are no hordes to fend off except random skeletons and stuff that just sort of pester you until daybreak. There aren't any NPCs to deal with. You can build a spaceship, but it just sits there. Then you take screen shots of it and show people. If I'm going to build something, I want it to be able to serve a purpose. I want to play with it.

If there was a game like minecraft that had buildable vehicles and turrets and opposing factions and stuff, so I could hover over villages in my custom built flying fortress and bombard them with lower mounted cannon turrets, that would be a game I want to play, haha.

I'll have to check out Din's Curse.

#5 Posted by Esti3 (39 posts) -

Check Cortex Command.

#6 Posted by xLittlekillx (1833 posts) -

Check Cortex Command.

Esti3

Has it been updated at all in the past year?

#7 Posted by Pvt_r3d (7901 posts) -
Do you know what Garry's mod is?
#8 Posted by xLittlekillx (1833 posts) -

Do you know what Garry's mod is?Pvt_r3d

Yeah! I actually have it on steam, but I never quite figured it out. It lets you play with all the turrets and vehicles and stuff, doesn't it?

#9 Posted by Pvt_r3d (7901 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"]Do you know what Garry's mod is?xLittlekillx

Yeah! I actually have it on steam, but I never quite figured it out. It lets you play with all the turrets and vehicles and stuff, doesn't it?

I could show you how to do most of the stuff on it. I'll give you my Steam ID via Gamespot Messenger.
#10 Posted by 4th3ist (509 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]

xLittlekillx

Not enough happens in it, really. There are no hordes to fend off except random skeletons and stuff that just sort of pester you until daybreak. There aren't any NPCs to deal with. You can build a spaceship, but it just sits there. Then you take screen shots of it and show people. If I'm going to build something, I want it to be able to serve a purpose. I want to play with it.

If there was a game like minecraft that had buildable vehicles and turrets and opposing factions and stuff, so I could hover over villages in my custom built flying fortress and bombard them with lower mounted cannon turrets, that would be a game I want to play, haha.

I'll have to check out Din's Curse.

Minecraft is still in beta. Its a work in progress. In fact, the next update 1.7 is slated to be the Adventure Mode update. What that means for the game is still a mystery. Keep your eyes on it.
#11 Posted by MadCat46 (1494 posts) -

I'd think Mount & Blade would fit that bill. Or are we talking Sandbox as in, total creative control over the game world?

#12 Posted by Mazoch (2469 posts) -

I would take a look at Ur-Quan Masters It's a freeware remake of the classic StarControl 2, it can be downloaded here: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Also, Space Rangers 2: Reboot is a pretty simple and accessible sandbox in space game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46330/

For a far more complex sandbox, check out the X3 games - http://store.steampowered.com/app/2820/

Aside from that, others have already mentioned: MineCraft and Mount and Blade

#13 Posted by xLittlekillx (1833 posts) -

I would take a look at Ur-Quan Masters It's a freeware remake of the classic StarControl 2, it can be downloaded here: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Also, Space Rangers 2: Reboot is a pretty simple and accessible sandbox in space game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46330/

For a far more complex sandbox, check out the X3 games - http://store.steampowered.com/app/2820/

Aside from that, others have already mentioned: MineCraft and Mount and Blade

Mazoch

Ah, yeah I've played ur quan masters. It's great.

Space Rangers 2 is alright, but it kills me that it's turn based. SPAZ is, in some ways, like an action oriented space rangers but with less depth. X3 is just too slow for me to get into.

#14 Posted by Esti3 (39 posts) -

[QUOTE="Esti3"]

Check Cortex Command.

xLittlekillx

Has it been updated at all in the past year?

Yep, there are some new things. Did you try the humble bundle version? B24 I think.

What about frozen synapse?

#15 Posted by hasao0012 (25 posts) -
LOVE: its like... well id say minecraft but it really isnt O.o to find it just type Love Indea games and u should find it xsyon: an online mmo that is like Wurm just 100x cooler looking Survivors of Ragnarok: i haven't played it but it looks to mix terraria/mc/rts into a game and looks kinda coolz :D King Arthur's Gold: its a free game so just check it out :D LinkRealms online: a F2P UO clone just done so much better and looks amazing (note its in cb atm) thats all i can think of atm :D ill try and find some more for u
#16 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Mount & Blade Warband, Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, A.i. War - thereare tons really that cross genres.
#17 Posted by hasao0012 (25 posts) -
Mount & Blade Warband, Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, A.i. War - thereare tons really that cross genres.skrat_01
when u get M&B do not get fire and sword as that game sux mc is boring without mods period DF is well its to damn boring cazz it takes forever to learn
#18 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Mount & Blade Warband, Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, A.i. War - thereare tons really that cross genres.hasao0012
when u get M&B do not get fire and sword as that game sux mc is boring without mods period DF is well its to damn boring cazz it takes forever to learn

Dorf Fort however is absolutely amazing once you have decided to learn how it functions. Course' to some learning is hard, let alone digesting abstracted visuals (though you can use a tileset). Agreed M&B is better with mods, and Warband is the best though.