Safest way to get my pics and files from virus infected HD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Videodogg (12611 posts) -

If i have a old HD from a previous build that may have a virus on it, what would be the best way to get certain pictures or files from that HD without getting the virus?

#2 Posted by Maverick6585 (220 posts) -

If i have a old HD from a previous build that may have a virus on it, what would be the best way to get certain pictures or files from that HD without getting the virus?

Videodogg
I don't know much about security, but I'd either plug in a flash drive and go for it, or put an anti-virus on a flash drive and run it on the infected computer. If you don't have an anti-virus, there are some really good free ones. I use Avast
#3 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

Videodogg
You could try using a Live CD of Ubuntu.
#4 Posted by 04dcarraher (22920 posts) -
I would just hook up the hdd to a system with an anti virus on it you should be fine
#5 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11671 posts) -
[QUOTE="Videodogg"]

clyde46

This^
#6 Posted by nilzg (753 posts) -
I once had that with a virus that spread itself with .exe files (and then everything that is in that folder) so what I did was scan for the ones which are causing it, then simply recover the rest.
#7 Posted by MW2ismygame (2188 posts) -
I would just hook up the hdd to a system with an anti virus on it you should be fine 04dcarraher
This ^^ If its an old HD, then its an old virus and any AV program should be able to catch it. optionally you can do what shadowDeathx said. Both options would work.
#8 Posted by Byshop (18489 posts) -

So long as you are running any current major anti-virus program on your computer and your computer is current on all of its security updates, it's generally pretty safe to plug the old hard drive in.

Most viruses these days come in the form of worms and webpage malware. These are distinct files that typically deposit themselves in directories -other- than your My Documents, Desktop or Pictures folders because the idea is they don't want you to find them. They don't really "attach" themselves to existing files the way they used to in the old days becuase it's much easier to infect computers over the internet. If you add the drive into your computer as a secondary drive, copy the files off that you need, then format the drive then you are fine. So long as you don't "run" a virus file on the hard drive then you are fine, and with current security patches then even if you -did- accidentally try to run a virus file you'd be protected.

You can even run a full scan of the drive if you really want to, but that's probably a waste of time since if this was an OS drive the bulk of the data on it you don't really care about so you don't need to spend hours cleaning it.

-Byshop

#9 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

Just scan your HDD with an anti-virus software. If it's clean, it's fine.

#10 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13794 posts) -

Use linux from now on.

#11 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Videodogg"]

ShadowDeathX

This^

Thirded, this would certainly be the safest route. Run a Live CD of Ubuntu and just copy the files you want to save on a new partition then format the infected partition and reinstall Windows.