Rygel's Crysis Texture Mods Are Incredible

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

As some of you may know, I bought the Crysis Maximum edition a couple of months ago, and was shocked that the graphics didn't blow me away: my chief complaint was with the textures - I thought that they were substandard, to the point where they destroyed the visuals of the game.

This weekend, just for the hell of it, I installed Rygel's massive texture mods (they're 2 gigabytes each), and I'm here to say, for whatever it's worth, that these mods have made all the difference. I think that if you've said something bad about a game, that you should be man enough to withdraw your statements publicly if you've had a change of heart.

There's no doubt about it now - with Rygel's texture mods in place, Crysis, and Crysis Warhead, are the two best looking games on my shelf. I'd have to give the slight advantage to Warhead however, because in my opinion it just looks a little bit more modern than its older brother.

So there it is - Rygel's texutre mods. Get em if you haven't gotten em already.

Thank you.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
With or without the mods, the games are still the best looking games on your shelf.
NauthiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NauthiX
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts
They do look astonishing, but when i installed them my graphics card wanted to kill itself.
IMaBIOHAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 IMaBIOHAZARD
Member since 2008 • 1464 Posts
They do look astonishing, but when i installed them my graphics card wanted to kill itself.NauthiX
ah, such is the price we pay. The Natural mod doesn't really drop performance and takes the Lighting to new highs. Pairing Rygel's pack with the Natural Mod makes it pretty much Crysis 2, Graphics wise.
blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts
With or without the mods, the games are still the best looking games on your shelf.KHAndAnime
Yup.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
It looks great even without mods... Oh and Crysis GFX >>>> Warhead GFX With Wrahead the view distance is terrible even if they did make it more Hollywood esque it's still worse due to the view distance and object fade.
morpheus077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 morpheus077
Member since 2006 • 1095 Posts

I just looked it up and cant find a direct link. sounds interesting, I even saw videos on youtube about it just now. I didnt ever think of installing texture mods for this game lol but if you can provide a link, I will download it asap.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

yeah, but im pretty sure my GPU will commit suicide if i try them. maybe in the nvidia 300 series i might try them.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
What are your pc specs? I have trouble maintaining 60fps in Crysis on very high (16xAF, HighQuality), so mods would likely be too much for 512MB of VRAM...
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -GeordiLaForge-
[QUOTE="markop2003"]It looks great even without mods... Oh and Crysis GFX >>>> Warhead GFX With Wrahead the view distance is terrible even if they did make it more Hollywood esque it's still worse due to the view distance and object fade.

I've been thinking about buying Warhead. Are the draw distances really that bad? Have you tried to figure out how to go about editing the config files?
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -GeordiLaForge-

yeah, but im pretty sure my GPU will commit suicide if i try them. maybe in the nvidia 300 series i might try them.

painguy1
Yeah, I still get framerate issues when I mod Oblivion to the max. It's mainly the draw distance ini tweaks, and the fact that I use so many mods. Fallout 3 is definitely optimized MUCH better, because I don't have any problems maxing it out with mods and ini tweaks. But I'll try texture mods for Crysis eventually. I've just been in the mood for first person RPG's lately...
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

-GeordiLaForge-

Yeah, I still get framerate issues when I mod Oblivion to the max. It's mainly the draw distance ini tweaks, and the fact that I use so many mods. Fallout 3 is definitely optimized MUCH better, because I don't have any problems maxing it out with mods and ini tweaks. But I'll try texture mods for Crysis eventually. I've just been in the mood for first person RPG's lately...

Oblivion rly? well i havent put any mods on it so ill take your word for it. How much more optomized is the engine in fallout 3 compared to Oblivion?

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts
[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="markop2003"]It looks great even without mods... Oh and Crysis GFX >>>> Warhead GFX With Wrahead the view distance is terrible even if they did make it more Hollywood esque it's still worse due to the view distance and object fade.

I've been thinking about buying Warhead. Are the draw distances really that bad? Have you tried to figure out how to go about editing the config files?

I never had any problems with WArhead looks a bit better then crysis imo.
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -GeordiLaForge-

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

Oblivion rly? well i havent put any mods on it so ill take your word for it. How much more optomized is the engine in fallout 3 compared to Oblivion?

In Fallout 3, I double the fully loaded grid count (even though the grids are larger), I've installed just about every texture mod out there, I've installed various gameplay mods, I've increased the view distance in the ini file as much as possible, and the game still runs smooth as butter. No framerate issues whatsoever. But with Oblivion, doubling the fully loaded grid count (9 is the max stable number in either game), installing 20 or so mods, and manually taking every view distance well beyond max causes framerate issues sometimes...
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -GeordiLaForge-
[QUOTE="blade55555"][QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="markop2003"]It looks great even without mods... Oh and Crysis GFX >>>> Warhead GFX With Wrahead the view distance is terrible even if they did make it more Hollywood esque it's still worse due to the view distance and object fade.

I never had any problems with WArhead looks a bit better then crysis imo.

Sweet, that sounds more like it. I'll get it either way, but I'm expecting better graphics than Crysis. Especially since they had more time to optimize the game for DX10.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"]Yeah, I still get framerate issues when I mod Oblivion to the max. It's mainly the draw distance ini tweaks, and the fact that I use so many mods. Fallout 3 is definitely optimized MUCH better, because I don't have any problems maxing it out with mods and ini tweaks. But I'll try texture mods for Crysis eventually. I've just been in the mood for first person RPG's lately...-GeordiLaForge-

In Fallout 3, I double the fully loaded grid count (even though the grids are larger), I've installed just about every texture mod out there, I've installed various gameplay mods, I've increased the view distance in the ini file as much as possible, and the game still runs smooth as butter. No framerate issues whatsoever. But with Oblivion, doubling the fully loaded grid count, installing 20 or so mods, and manually taking every view distance well beyond max causes framerate issues sometimes...

WOW....i guess thats a pretty big difference.:P

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -GeordiLaForge-

painguy1

In Fallout 3, I double the fully loaded grid count (even though the grids are larger), I've installed just about every texture mod out there, I've installed various gameplay mods, I've increased the view distance in the ini file as much as possible, and the game still runs smooth as butter. No framerate issues whatsoever. But with Oblivion, doubling the fully loaded grid count, installing 20 or so mods, and manually taking every view distance well beyond max causes framerate issues sometimes...

It's definitely worth it though ;) Check out the thread that I made a few minutes ago. The graphics jump is like comparing Doom to Halo. Too bad nobody plays Oblivion anymore =/
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"]In Fallout 3, I double the fully loaded grid count (even though the grids are larger), I've installed just about every texture mod out there, I've installed various gameplay mods, I've increased the view distance in the ini file as much as possible, and the game still runs smooth as butter. No framerate issues whatsoever. But with Oblivion, doubling the fully loaded grid count, installing 20 or so mods, and manually taking every view distance well beyond max causes framerate issues sometimes...-GeordiLaForge-

It's definitely worth it though ;) Check out the thread that I made a few minutes ago. The graphics jump is like comparing Doom to Halo. Too bad nobody plays Oblivion anymore =/

lol i was just looking at that a miniute ago. I was like i should try that, but i cant now cause im going to the grand canyon tommorow, and wont be back till Thursday. i bookmarked the page though =D

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -GeordiLaForge-

painguy1

lol i was just looking at that a miniute ago. I was like i should try that, but i cant now cause im going to the grand canyon tommorow, and wont be back till Thursday. i bookmarked the page though =D

Sweet! I think that you're the only person that's interested in the mods at the moment. But with TES: 5 in the works, I figured more people would be interested. Ah well, I guess that I should've made the thread just a wee bit sooner =P
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"]It's definitely worth it though ;) Check out the thread that I made a few minutes ago. The graphics jump is like comparing Doom to Halo. Too bad nobody plays Oblivion anymore =/-GeordiLaForge-

Sweet! I think that you're the only person that's interested in the mods at the moment. But with TES: 5 in the works, I figured more people would be interested. Ah well, I guess that I should've made the thread just a wee bit sooner =P

hahaha. It shall get bumped trust me. maybe it will even get stickied. its one of the most proffesional reccomendation threads ive seen yet. most have random links and text blasted all over the place.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
ehhh screenshots anyone?
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

So should I pair Rygel's with Natural Mod and a TOD? RIght now I'm usnig CCC 2.21 level 5 but I have a feeling that could blow more mind and level 6 is out of my league.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="markop2003"]It looks great even without mods... Oh and Crysis GFX >>>> Warhead GFX With Wrahead the view distance is terrible even if they did make it more Hollywood esque it's still worse due to the view distance and object fade.

I think it's mainly because of how i play that i notice it, with run and gun it won't be that noticeable but i was always more of a sniper with the assault rifles, sniping at the ranges i do (enemies' head's are only a couple pixels) you're gonna run into issues on both but on Warhead it was much more noticable, i don't think any machine built so far can run it with view distances where i wouldn't notice the object fade
Avatar image for eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw
eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw
Member since 2005 • 353 Posts

If graphics cards had souls, said souls would be screaming with the horror of a thousand hellfires. You would hear a continous, mind-shattering scream emanating from your motherboard until it puts itself out of its own misery.

Short answer: My computer sucks balls.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

POST SOME SCREEN SHOTS NOOW plz ;)

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

As some of you may know, I bought the Crysis Maximum edition a couple of months ago, and was shocked that the graphics didn't blow me away: my chief complaint was with the textures - I thought that they were substandard, to the point where they destroyed the visuals of the game.

Charles_Dickens

Get
****ing
real

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
pics? links? anything?
Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

[QUOTE="Charles_Dickens"]

NoAssKicker47

Get
****ing
real

I don't understand?

Are you saying that Rygel's texture mods... what?... don't improve Crysis?

The texture mods improve the game immeasurably. That these mods needed to be created in the first place is a sign that the vanilla version is lacking. I saw that straight away. Rygel's mods are a massive improvement over the original textures. Just one look at the shipyard area - this is the part of the game where you have to destroy the AA guns, and the destroyer - tells me that the original textures were just downright awful. It's almost like night and day the difference.

I mean, seriously, you'd have to be blind not to see that Rygel's texture pack improves the game.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

[QUOTE="NoAssKicker47"]

[QUOTE="Charles_Dickens"]

Charles_Dickens

Get
****ing
real

I don't understand?

Are you saying that Rygel's texture mods... what?... don't improve Crysis?

The texture mods improve the game immeasurably. That these mods needed to be created in the first place is a sign that the vanilla version is lacking. I saw that straight away. Rygel's mods are a massive improvement over the original textures. Just one look at the shipyard area - this is the part of the game where you have to destroy the AA guns, and the destroyer - tells me that the original textures were just downright awful. It's almost like night and day the difference.

I mean, seriously, you'd have to be blind not to see that Rygel's texture pack improves the game.

Oh, yes, I do believe that they enhance the visuals, but not all THAT much. What brought me to write my comment is your stating that the textures were "subpar to the level were they ruined the visuals of the game" and I'm just saying that this little statement is ridiculous.