Running a PS3 on my PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
I am curious if I can run my PS3 on my PC to get it away from the chaos of my living room. Now I have an 8800GT as my GPU and there seems to be an adapter that allows me to plug inth e HDMI cables (I think). What would I need to do after that? Would it run through some sort of media player like program? And wopuld it run well?
Thebettafish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Thebettafish
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

The ports you mentioned on your graphics card are output only. The kind of device you would need would be a TV tuner that has HDMI/Component support. Keep in mind that GOOD TV tuners cost a fair bit of money, and still are sketchy at best for quality. Your monitor would also undoubtedly not support a decent resolution for playing a PS3 (1080p, 720p) so you would have to deal with either the TV tuner software displaying in Windowed mode, not full screen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047%201685342847&bop=And&Order=PRICED#

You'll want to search for TV tuners that have HDTV support. What exactly is your price range (if any)?

-Betta

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts

You can't just run it "though" your computer but you can configure it run off the speakers and monitor (pretty much the same thing). http://www.overclock.net/playstation/191028-how-play-your-ps3-through-your.html

Or you could buy TV tuner card

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
You can also buy a KVM switch. It will allow you to manually switch between your PC and your PS3 but you will probably also need some sort of adapter so you can plug it into the monitor. It would be quite a lot less expensive than a TV tuner card.
trodeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 trodeback
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

You can also buy a KVM switch. It will allow you to manually switch between your PC and your PS3 but you will probably also need some sort of adapter so you can plug it into the monitor. It would be quite a lot less expensive than a TV tuner card.BumFluff122

When I had an Xbox 360 this is what I did, it's very nice to just flip a switch and play your gaming console. Also you could just buy a new monitor that has newer imputs in it. My monitor supports VGA/DVI/HDMI so you could have your computer hooked up through the VGA/DVI and then hook the PS3 up through the HDMI slot. Then all you'd have to do is push a button on your monitor to change the imput selected. This however will still cause you to find some way to play sound unless you want to use the monitor speakers (assuming that it comes with some). But now that this is all said and done, the cheapest solution would probably be to just buy the KVM switch.