Rumour!!Baldur's gate 3 in development!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

d_agra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 d_agra
Member since 2003 • 1777 Posts

http://www.gamershell.com/news/44783.html

god all mighty!!No bioware!!!??why Bioware??Why??Their is no more hope!!

My heart breaking all over again like Fallout3!!

I got the mag right here and i nearly droped my cuppa!!

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
i thought dragon age was bg3, in a way?
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
I ain't buyin' it.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts
Honestly, I'd rather see the series stay dead. By the looks of it, it will be similar to Jordan coming back to play for the Wizards. We love michael jordan, we love baldur's gate....but sometimes it's better to just leave things retired! There is no possible way BG3 can live up to the extremely high standards ascociated with the series. I'd rather see some sort of spin-off, and i'm looking forward to dragon age alot more because it's from bioware.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Meh. I love BioWare games but I don't like D&D. BioWare is working on a non-D&D game right now for PC, and will probably be porting Mass Effect at some point.

From my point of view, we win.

Of course, everyone would rather see their favourite series die out in a blaze of glory than fade into mediocrity, but Baldur's Gate is far from my favourite series - in fact, and I'm sure I'll be lynched for this, I barely bothered to play Baldur's Gate II. I played the first thoroughly three times through, but just felt burned out when I came to play 2 - plus I bsod'ed right after starting, which frustrated me.

On the plus side, it means I have it to look forward to.

I will happily take two non-D&D games over one D&D game though.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

"You shouldn't expect anything classically isometric either, as it's being made by a company that believes in pushing technology forward."

This part bugs me. Am I the only one who thinks a game can be very technologically advanced AND be in a Isometric view? This sounds to me a little something like this ;

"You shouldn't expect anything classically isometric either, as it's being made by a company that believes in pushing sales and being Oblivionated"

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mfsa

"You shouldn't expect anything classically isometric either, as it's being made by a company that believes in pushing technology forward."

This part bugs me. Am I the only one who thinks a game can be very technologically advanced AND be in a Isometric view? This sounds to me a little something like this ;

"You shouldn't expect anything classically isometric either, as it's being made by a company that believes in pushing sales and being Oblivionated"

TheCrazed420

We probably won't see another isometric view game again. Not now. Even BioWare has moved to an over-the-shoulder cam.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheCrazed420
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]

mfsa

We probably won't see another isometric view game again. Not now. Even BioWare has moved to an over-the-shoulder cam.

The Witcher and NWN2 are recent releases that had isometric views. RTS's still mostly use an isometric view, because it's needed. I can only hope that some devs out there still believe in creating a combat system akin to a strategy game, instead of a more direct one.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

TheCrazed420

Right. That's exactly why I think this is bogus. It sounds like someone who's pouting about the fact that Fallout 3 is being made by Bethesda (who's gotten a lot of flak over Oblivion), with the gameplay being different from before. They've got a chip on their shoulder, so they're lashing out in a sense and spreading false rumors about Bioware doing the same thing with their other games. They're a pissy little fit-pitcher who's vindictive to boot.

That's my theory.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

i'll keep an ear out. i liked neverwinter nights and hated nwn 2.

So i'll find that article in uk pc gamer.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
I would rather have a small new company working on buldergate than the "NEW BOUGHT EA OWNED bioware!!
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mfsa
[QUOTE="mfsa"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]

TheCrazed420

The Witcher and NWN2 are recent releases that had isometric views. RTS's still mostly use an isometric view, because it's needed. I can only hope that some devs out there still believe in creating a combat system akin to a strategy game, instead of a more direct one.

I didn't realise The Witcher had a full blown isometric view, I used the over-the-shoulder cam the whole way through. I think it's much more fun and nicer looking. As for RTS games - I wasn't talking about RTS games.

On NWN2 - yeah, but that engine has now pretty much been replaced, I think. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Hellgate (and Fallout 3?) show pretty clearly the direction in which future RPGs are heading.

Even if these games feature optional isometric modes, they mostly strike me as being transitional options to appease a moderately small demographic while the genre continues to head towards over-the-shoulder style cameras and the like. It's pretty clear what the masses want, and it's not isometric views.

Anyway, I mostly agree with you. I like isometric cameras - but there is something to be said for over the shoulder or even first person cameras. The beautiful worlds in which RPG games take place these days are much better experienced with non-isometric cameras. I think isometric camers are really only worthwhile for combat purposes.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blackdreamhunk
I think there is a difference between rpg and action rpg. I think we will have new branchies of the types of rpg.
skrabblagg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skrabblagg
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I honestly hope it's not true. If they take my treasured BG series and piss on it with a Bethesda Oblivion-type game, a part of me will die forever.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blackdreamhunk
there is already a huge debate over what is an"rpg" Hence the game devs and players are starting to name different types of rpgies they are. For exmple hell gate london is a action rpg. it's not a crpg like fallout or boldergate. Action rpgies are your hack and slash game play. There is even a new branch of rpg call indie rpg.
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

I would rather have a small new company working on buldergate than the "NEW BOUGHT EA OWNED bioware!!blackdreamhunk

I don't mind That bioware has been bought by EA. I think it will increase the quality of them becuase its just EA donig the publishing not making the games just funding them not controlling.

There must be a reason people hate EA i prefer them as a publisher than devolpers as they aren't bad at that.

herezjarchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 herezjarchus
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts
If it will be as half as good as BG2 was, then i would have nothing against the company designing it even if it isn't bioware
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheCrazed420

[QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"]I would rather have a small new company working on buldergate than the "NEW BOUGHT EA OWNED bioware!!Poshkidney

I don't mind That bioware has been bought by EA. I think it will increase the quality of them becuase its just EA donig the publishing not making the games just funding them not controlling.

There must be a reason people hate EA i prefer them as a publisher than devolpers as they aren't bad at that.

That quality could suffer if EA has strict dates that they force Bioware to make. Bioware has a tendency to delay their games until they are ready. That may change, with unfavorable results. One must simply look at Hellgate:London to see what forcing a game out before its ready can do to the overall quality.

JordanCupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JordanCupcakes
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts
Baldur WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!?!?!?!?!?!?!? *DIE* could be worse.....could be a uwe boll production!!!!!! ahahahahah
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Baldur's Gate 3? Surely you mean "quick lameassed cash-in on reputable franchise name"?

The story ended. Anyone who even thinks of making a BG3 is after money, meaning BG3 would be an MMORPG. And MMORPG's suck.
HauntedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HauntedOne
Member since 2003 • 61 Posts
I can't see it being an MMO, but I can see it being a cash grab. More likely though, this is a glancing thought by a dev blown out of proportion.
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

WOOOOOT. Best news I've heard in well ... ever.

" it's being made by a company that believes in pushing technology forward." Um ... so it's being made by Crytek?

gozalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 gozalo
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts

The story ended. ShotGunBunny

Nuff' Said.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I wish it's gonna be great.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]

mfsa

If your target audience is GBT peoples, an isometric view make sense. If your target audience is action-players, then an over-the-shoulder cam made sense.

I buy many over-the-shoulder cam games, but....I prefer isometric view and GBT.

Maybe it is time you move away from BioWare as afterall, they move away from us. The way they talk about BG, you feel the hatred just below, the lack of understanding, the total jealousy. They aren't the one anymore. :P

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Anofalye

Baldur's Gate 3? Surely you mean "quick lameassed cash-in on reputable franchise name"?

The story ended. Anyone who even thinks of making a BG3 is after money, meaning BG3 would be an MMORPG. And MMORPG's suck.
ShotGunBunny

There is some part of truth in what you say.

But you know very well, that BG3 could also be much more...BG3 could be a story about the aftermatch of the children of Bhaal ascending to godhood. It could be the story of Minsk and Boo. It could be about Imoen, the children of Bhaal which give willingly her god-part to her brethen....it could also be in the God itself, a story about what happens in Hell right now?

A new God ascends...the story is merely starting!

If SSI died back then in times...

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
[QUOTE="mfsa"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]

Anofalye

If your target audience is GBT peoples, an isometric view make sense. If your target audience is action-players, then an over-the-shoulder cam made sense.

I buy many over-the-shoulder cam games, but....I prefer isometric view and GBT.

Maybe it is time you move away from BioWare as afterall, they move away from us. The way they talk about BG, you feel the hatred just below, the lack of understanding, the total jealousy. They aren't the one anymore. :P

I don't quite understand... are you saying Bioware hates BG and is jealous of that game? lol. Please, explain...

On the whole isometric vs FP/TP view. I hate isometric view as it takes away the most important thing: the game just does not suck me into it's world. I'm not a bird who likes to control characters from above, I'm a man. An FP view or even a TP view feel a lot more natural to me. (Of course, one can have a huge discussion whether FP view in modern games takes away immersion since you don't walk around in real life looking through a rectangle without periferal vision). Tastes differ of course, but even back in '95-'96 I could not stand isometric view. I'm glad that devs are finally getting it. Only a minority like that view (I know bold statement...)

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Anofalye

Yes, I am accusing BioWare 2.0 to be jealous and unable to do what BioWare 1.0 was doing.

See develpment and expanding is good, as long as you maintain your initial bases and set up. There is little point to become just another action-oriented-company. They all are like that.

About isometric, until we have an all surround view, I will prefer it to a "above the shoulder, but kinda like a horse view". I am a man, not a horse. I don't have an angle of 45 degree. The amount of informations is more important then the "point of view". I have to be aware of what is happening in my surrounding, and this is just not the case in any FPS, or any over the shoulder view, cause with a 45 degree, you just don't see much.

About the "minority" comment, isn't RTS isometric and the 2nd most popular style of games? I think that Isometric lover are anything but a minority.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

Yes, I am accusing BioWare 2.0 to be jealous and unable to do what BioWare 1.0 was doing.

See develpment and expanding is good, as long as you maintain your initial bases and set up. There is little point to become just another action-oriented-company. They all are like that.

About isometric, until we have an all surround view, I will prefer it to a "above the shoulder, but kinda like a horse view". I am a man, not a horse. I don't have an angle of 45 degree. The amount of informations is more important then the "point of view". I have to be aware of what is happening in my surrounding, and this is just not the case in any FPS, or any over the shoulder view, cause with a 45 degree, you just don't see much.

Anofalye

Well, last time I checked the two doctors that founded Bioware are still in charge and still very capable of telling a great story with excellent dialog and create a unique atmosphere in a game (Mass Effect) (or hiring talented people). These things were their trademark before and they still are imho. Gameplay was never their strongest side.

And about being aware of your surroundings, with FP/TP view you are actually able to see a small important thing called the horizon. You don't get much more information than that. And I never knew that man-kind was able to see things in "surround". Were not fish, you know.

Whatever, it's all about preference, let's just agree on that.

Edit: we're not talking about RTSs here, we're discussing RPGs. Most RPGs do not have dosens of units on screen at the same time.

Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rylsadar
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts

[QUOTE="ShotGunBunny"]The story ended. gozalo
Nuff' Said.

What?! The story ended?!

You people don't understand that the world of "Forggoten Realms" is composed by several,if not infinite storys!

The story of "Baldur's Gate" was quite interesting,but i find much more desirable the profound story of "Planescape Torment".

gozalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gozalo
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts

[QUOTE="gozalo"][QUOTE="ShotGunBunny"]The story ended. Rylsadar

Nuff' Said.

What?! The story ended?!

You people don't understand that the world of "Forggoten Realms" is composed by several,if not infinite storys!

The story of "Baldur's Gate" was quite interesting,but i find much more desirable the profound story of "Planescape Torment".

We mean the Baldurs Gate story ended, Forggoten Realms is a whole other thing.

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts

But you know very well, that BG3 could also be much more...BG3 could be a story about the aftermatch of the children of Bhaal ascending to godhood. It could be the story of Minsk and Boo. It could be about Imoen, the children of Bhaal which give willingly her god-part to her brethen....it could also be in the God itself, a story about what happens in Hell right now?

Anofalye

Honestly, yeah. I've actually thought about a sequel where you prance around in your godlyness across the realms.

But I think we all know that that simply isn't going to happen.
Fallout 3. That's all I'm going to say, and if you don't know what I mean by that then you've sold your soul to the god of old school WRPG murder.

P.S.:For your information, the SERIES Baldur's Gate has nothing to do with the city of Baldur's Gate except that you visit it for a bit in the first game.
Any BG3 not relating to the SERIES Baldur's Gate is automatically a total rip off simply because it uses the franchise name while it doesn't deserve it.
Kinda like what happened to Soldier Of Fortune (the new one). Apparently it was actually meant to be a totally different game, until they remembered they still had the franchise name licensed.

"Yes, I am accusing BioWare 2.0 to be jealous and unable to do what BioWare 1.0 was doing."
Been saying that since KOTOR. I mean, NWN had a plain sad SP campaign, but the focus of the game wasn't the SP, and the toolset and all that it unleashed made up for the horrible sp campaign easily.

And finally, I would like you all to take a moment to fetch your Throne of Bhaal CD and look at it very carefully for a minute. You'll see that somewhere on that disc are the words "The final chapter".
So why are we actually discussing this?