rumors confirmed (sorta) amd rolls out B3 stepping bulldozers..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

yep thats right amd is indeed revising bulldozer and it jsut launched. results are difficult to predict atm. however if the phenom II revision(c2-c3) can be an indicator expect significant improvements.

http://www.donanimhaber.com/islemci/haberleri/AMD-Bulldozer-FX-ailesinin-B3-revizyonunu-hazirliyor.htm

we shall see amd.. we shall see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nr8hPnZfMU

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

That was fast.

mixedplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mixedplanet
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts

that is good news for me

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
Ugh.. AMD needs to really get out of the dumps at the moment. Intel needs some true competition.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mitu123
Hope this will be enough for me to get a Bulldozer. [QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"]Ugh.. AMD needs to really get out of the dumps at the moment. Intel needs some true competition.

Maybe if they tried!!!=p
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

It's probably not going to perform much differently than the "original" Bulldozer. The types of changes that happen between steppings don't do much if anything to help IPC performance and things of that nature. It may use a bit less power and such, but don't expect anything that will redeem it.

AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AfroPirate
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

Did anyone actually but the bulldozer?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

It's constantly going from in stock to sold out on newegg. Not everyone just sits at their computer running synthetic benchmarks you know.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Did anyone actually but the bulldozer?

AfroPirate

Looks like it:

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mitu123

That pic has a glitch seeing how there are more reviews than that(11 reviews on both 8 core cpus).

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts
Plus, being sold out doesn't mean anything if they didn't have many to begin with.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hartsickdiscipl

It's constantly going from in stock to sold out on newegg. Not everyone just sits at their computer running synthetic benchmarks you know.

GummiRaccoon

According to the reviews that I've read, Bulldozer sucks in a ton of real-world programs too. Especially games, when compared against even some Phenom II X4's.. let alone Nehalem and Sandy Bridge.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ionusX

indeed hartsick the 8 core do blow the 6 and the 4 aint so bad though i mean.. when the 4100 debuts and then falls say 15-20 bucks it could eassily (and single handedly) replace the entire athalon II x4 lineup and really move mountains i mean a cpu = 965 BE for -100 thats jsut mind altering man.

and the 6100 is actually a pretty decent cpu seeing as how intel has nothing in 4 cores between where the deneb phII's sit and the i5 2500k (thats worth buying anyway) as a result the 6100's position sitin where the i7 920 in many cases used to sit is pretty darn nifty. im definetely gonna get one when the price falls or when funding is available.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hartsickdiscipl

indeed hartsick the 8 core do blow the 6 and the 4 aint so bad though i mean.. when the 4100 debuts and then falls say 15-20 bucks it could eassily (and single handedly) replace the entire athalon II x4 lineup and really move mountains i mean a cpu = 965 BE for -100 thats jsut mind altering man.

and the 6100 is actually a pretty decent cpu seeing as how intel has nothing in 4 cores between where the deneb phII's sit and the i5 2500k (thats worth buying anyway) as a result the 6100's position sitin where the i7 920 in many cases used to sit is pretty darn nifty. im definetely gonna get one when the price falls or when funding is available.

ionusX

I still can't see buying any of the Bulldozer chips over either a 2500k or a PII X4 955/965 for a gaming rig.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

hartsickdiscipl

I still can't see buying any of the Bulldozer chips over either a 2500k or a PII X4 955/965 for a gaming rig.

indeed there is certainly no need for it. but when the phenom II's are discontinued in january those fx-4000's and fx-6000's will become our new bread n butter and man does the 6100 look tasty.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

ionusX

indeed there is certainly no need for it. but when the phenom II's are discontinued in january those fx-4000's and fx-6000's will become our new bread n butter and man does the 6100 look tasty.

Nah, 2500k will be the bread and butter for some time methinks.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

hartsickdiscipl

Nah, 2500k will be the bread and butter for some time methinks.

for intel yes.. but there will always be someone that doesnt want intel.. and more importantly not everyone can fit a 2500k in their budget.

the 6100 fits a really nice niche that intel cant plug atm. their SB dual core isnt able to compete in multicore and the 2400 has no k variant so it cant compete the second you start talking OC.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#18 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

GummiRaccoon

You are suggesting that every consumer out there makes intelligent choices?

Jeez never thought sales would ever be used as some sort of an argument on this forum, but here we are. :roll:

You really have lost it man!

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gambler_3

Plus, being sold out doesn't mean anything if they didn't have many to begin with. red12355
Ya lol true.

NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Gambler_3

Jeez never thought sales would ever be used as some sort of an argument on this forum, but here we are. :roll:

It's pretty clear that he was answering the question in the post right above his.

"Did anyone actually buy the bulldozer?"

Way to put words in peoples mouths.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

NailedGR

It's pretty clear that he was answering the question in the post right above his.

He was trying to justify someone purchasing bulldozer, I responded to that.

NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

[QUOTE="NailedGR"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]You are suggesting that every consumer out there makes intelligent choices?

Gambler_3

What's wrong with buying bulldozer? It's not like it murders you in your sleep or anything? It brings AMDs performance more in line with intel, maybe some people had an AM3+ motherboard already and are upgrading an athlon II x2 to a bulldozer?

And because I know you'll bring it up, just because the bulldozer inconsistently beats the old phenom IIs in some benchmarks doesn't mean it is bad, the sandybridges had the exact same issue with the 1366 i7s, it beat them in some and lost in others. So that arguement is moot.

The new instructions alone will make bulldozer last longer than the current phenom IIs. Not everyone wants to support or even cheer on a monopoly, like you seem to.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I have to say, i think the best buy i ever made for my pc was buying the i7 920 the week it came out. I mean, ive had it for over 2 years now and cpu power has not increased much in that time.(overclocked to 3.8 )

Hopefully bulldozer can step it up alot more with the revision.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

What's wrong with buying bulldozer? It's not like it murders you in your sleep or anything? It brings AMDs performance more in line with intel, maybe some people had an AM3+ motherboard already and are upgrading an athlon II x2 to a bulldozer?

And because I know you'll bring it up, just because the bulldozer inconsistently beats the old phenom IIs in some benchmarks doesn't mean it is bad, the sandybridges had the exact same issue with the 1366 i7s, it beat them in some and lost in others. So that arguement is moot.

The new instructions alone will make bulldozer last longer than the current phenom IIs. Not everyone wants to support or even cheer on a monopoly, like you seem to.

NailedGR

The person I quoted is someone who has always promoted the price performance of AMD setups and thought of intel setups to be over priced. Gotta catch double standards you know, they are always there to catch me on every slip up so I just gotta return the favour. ;)

And yes there could be scenarios where buying bulldozer makes sense for a few people running really old CPU's and yet have a mobo capable of bulldozer but those certainly werent the people Gummi was referring to.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

The people buying Bulldozer CPU's right now are just blind fanboys who cant be rationalised with, anyway let them waste their money, its their loss!

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="NailedGR"]

Gambler_3

The person I quoted is someone who has always promoted the price performance of AMD setups and thought of intel setups to be over priced. Gotta catch double standards you know, they are always there to catch me on every slip up so I just gotta return the favour. ;)

And yes there could be scenarios where buying bulldozer makes sense for a few people running really old CPU's and yet have a mobo capable of bulldozer but those certainly werent the people Gummi was referring to.

How do you know who I am referring to?

For a gaming rig right now the 955 is still the sweet spot. I am building my brother a machine and trickling parts down so I am grabbing a bulldozer because I have an AM3+ motherboard and I don't see myself upgrading for the next 2-3 years.

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 red12355

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="NailedGR"]

NailedGR

Show me the benchmarks where Sandy Bridge gets beaten by Nahelem. I guarantee you that it'll be because of a difference in core count or clock speed, not architecture.

There are many valid reasons why people shouldn't buy bulldozer and they shouldn't be brushed aside by saying "Intel is a monopoly". The problem with bulldozer is that it runs hot, has awful price/performance, doesn't OC well, has a massive power usage, has bugs, etc. etc. all for what? A -15 to 15% performance difference to Phenom II?

Buying Intel isn't supporting a monopoly, it's buying a better product. Heck, you don't even have to buy Intel, just buy a Phenom II.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="NailedGR"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]He was trying to justify someone purchasing bulldozer, I responded to that.

red12355

Show me the benchmarks where Sandy Bridge gets beaten by Nahelem. I guarantee you that it'll be because of a difference in core count or clock speed, not architecture. There are many valid reasons why people shouldn't buy bulldozer and they shouldn't be brushed aside by saying "Intel is a monopoly". The problem with bulldozer is that it , runs hot, has awful price/performance, doesn't OC well, has a massive power usage, has bugs, etc. etc. all for what? A -15 to 15% performance difference to Phenom II? Buying Intel isn't supporting a monopoly, it's buying a better product. Heck, you don't even have to buy Intel, just buy a Phenom II.

The sandybridge isn't very different from the nahalems, and I am positive that the performance differences are because of clocks and cores, doesn't mean that his point wasn't valid. Sandybridges get beat by nahalems in some tasks. Same goes with bulldozer and thubans.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#29 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

This seems like the situation when they went from Phenom I to Phenom II. Phenom II was far more improved. But this situation is a lot better when they went from Phenom I to Phenom II, because Phenom I had more significant problems.

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 red12355

[QUOTE="red12355"][QUOTE="NailedGR"]

GummiRaccoon

Show me the benchmarks where Sandy Bridge gets beaten by Nahelem. I guarantee you that it'll be because of a difference in core count or clock speed, not architecture. There are many valid reasons why people shouldn't buy bulldozer and they shouldn't be brushed aside by saying "Intel is a monopoly". The problem with bulldozer is that it , runs hot, has awful price/performance, doesn't OC well, has a massive power usage, has bugs, etc. etc. all for what? A -15 to 15% performance difference to Phenom II? Buying Intel isn't supporting a monopoly, it's buying a better product. Heck, you don't even have to buy Intel, just buy a Phenom II.

The sandybridge isn't very different from the nahalems, and I am positive that the performance differences are because of clocks and cores, doesn't mean that his point wasn't valid. Sandybridges get beat by nahalems in some tasks. Same goes with bulldozer and thubans.

You're not getting it. I could say that a $1500 QX9775 from 2008 beats a $150 i3-2310m but it would make no sense to chalk it up as "Sandy bridge wins some, Core wins some others". If you took any Nahalem system and replaced it with an equivalent Sandy Bridge, the Sandy Bridge would ALWAYS perform better and more efficiently.

If you replaced a PII system to an equivalent BD system, however, you would have something that has worse performance, runs hotter and uses more power. There is no reason why someone with, say a $110 PII X4 955 should get a $190 FX-6100 because they would actually be worse off than before.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="red12355"] Show me the benchmarks where Sandy Bridge gets beaten by Nahelem. I guarantee you that it'll be because of a difference in core count or clock speed, not architecture. There are many valid reasons why people shouldn't buy bulldozer and they shouldn't be brushed aside by saying "Intel is a monopoly". The problem with bulldozer is that it , runs hot, has awful price/performance, doesn't OC well, has a massive power usage, has bugs, etc. etc. all for what? A -15 to 15% performance difference to Phenom II? Buying Intel isn't supporting a monopoly, it's buying a better product. Heck, you don't even have to buy Intel, just buy a Phenom II.red12355

You're not getting it. I could say that a $1500 QX9775 from 2008 beats a $150 i3-2310m but it would make no sense to chalk it up as "Sandy bridge wins some, Core wins some others". If you took any Nahalem system and replaced it with an equivalent Sandy Bridge, the Sandy Bridge would ALWAYS perform better and more efficiently.

If you replaced a PII system to an equivalent BD system, however, you would have something that has worse performance, runs hotter and uses more power. There is no reason why someone with, say a $110 PII X4 955 should get a $190 FX-6100 because they would actually be worse off than before.

This is incorrect.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/142?vs=287

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 red12355

[QUOTE="red12355"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

This is incorrect.

Did you even read my post?It is not fair to compare a $1000 6 core part to a $300 4 core one.

A SB based hex-core will probably be released in a couple months with SB-E and will have the price to show it.Also, you ignored the whole point of my post and decided to try to disprove one small detail.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="red12355"] You're not getting it. I could say that a $1500 QX9775 from 2008 beats a $150 i3-2310m but it would make no sense to chalk it up as "Sandy bridge wins some, Core wins some others". If you took any Nahalem system and replaced it with an equivalent Sandy Bridge, the Sandy Bridge would ALWAYS perform better and more efficiently.

red12355

This is incorrect.

Did you even read my post?It is not fair to compare a $1000 6 core part to a $300 4 core one.

A SB based hex-core will probably be released in a couple months with SB-E and will have the price to show it.Also, you ignored the whole point of my post and decided to try to disprove one small detail.

How is that not equivalent? Best vs best

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gambler_3

GummiRaccoon

So a $1000 nehalem CPU outperforming a $300 sandy bridge is the same thing as a $120 phenom II CPU beating a $200 BD CPU?

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the fanboy of the month who has lost it completely with the BD failing. It's gotten so bad it's pointless talking to you now but I will show you one last thing just in case you missed it which I am sure you didnt but still....

Show me the benchmarks where Sandy Bridge gets beaten by Nahelem. I guarantee you that it'll be because of a difference in core count or clock speed, not architecture.

red12355

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hartsickdiscipl

I have to say, i think the best buy i ever made for my pc was buying the i7 920 the week it came out. I mean, ive had it for over 2 years now and cpu power has not increased much in that time.(overclocked to 3.8 )

edinsftw

i7 920 is going to go down as one of the greatest CPUs ever, just as the Q6600 has. People with OC'd i7 920's are good to go for at least another 2 years I bet... and we're talking about a CPU that's been out nearly 3 years. They still chew up and spit out any game.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Daytona_178

This seems like the situation when they went from Phenom I to Phenom II. Phenom II was far more improved. But this situation is a lot better when they went from Phenom I to Phenom II, because Phenom I had more significant problems.

Xtasy26
No, its not like that situation until AMD make a fix, as it stands right now its just a stinker and nothing else.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

[QUOTE="red12355"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

This is incorrect.

GummiRaccoon

But its not.... The equivalent for i7-980X is i7-3960X Sandy Bridge-E. The LGA 1155 Processors are a replacement for the mainstream LGA 1156 line up. LGA 2011 coming out next month will be a replacement for LGA 1366 the high end for intel.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

hartsickdiscipl

i7 920 is going to go down as one of the greatest CPUs ever, just as the Q6600 has. People with OC'd i7 920's are good to go for at least another 2 years I bet... and we're talking about a CPU that's been out nearly 3 years. They still chew up and spit out any game.

I don't know.. Gaming wise, those phenom ii x4 chips are still kicking it nicely. I mean dang.. when at 1080p, the phenom iix4 chip is only 1-2 frames off the top end intel sandy bridges its kinda lol. Not because the cpu is great, just that developers still aren't touching all the power of cpu's these days. How long has the phenom iix4 line been out now?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

jedikevin2

I don't know.. Gaming wise, those phenom ii x4 chips are still kicking it nicely. I mean dang.. when at 1080p, the phenom iix4 chip is only 1-2 frames off the top end intel sandy bridges its kinda lol. Not because the cpu is great, just that developers still aren't touching all the power of cpu's these days. How long has the phenom iix4 line been out now?

and then my PII X6 rips through games as well, especially RTSes, Metro, Mafia 2, and the BF3 beta. Game's just dont take advantage of the CPU as much as the GPU. I personally try just only to not bottleneck my GPU, that's all I care about, and an X6 running between 3.5 and 4ghz isnt going to bottleneck anything unless I went SLI or Xfire
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

jedikevin2

Not more than how long the core 2 quad has been out and since both perform similarly, the phenom 2 X4 is unlikely to win any longevity awards.

The X6 on the other hand could edge out the i7 920 in future games depending on how well hexa and octa core optimization moves on.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#41 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

Daytona_178

No, its not like that situation until AMD make a fix, as it stands right now its just a stinker and nothing else.

Well, the Phenom I to Phenom II was a worse situation. Phenom I had a major bug.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

Gambler_3

Not more than how long the core 2 quad has been out and since both perform similarly, the phenom 2 X4 is unlikely to win any longevity awards.

The X6 on the other hand could edge out the i7 920 in future games depending on how well hexa and octa core optimization moves on.

I can see the X6s doing well for longer than the X4s, my X6 eats multi-core games for lunch
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

Xtasy26

Well, the Phenom I to Phenom II was a worse situation. Phenom I had a major bug.

The phenom I was a travesty.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Daytona_178

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

Xtasy26

Was the Phenom 1 beaten in certain benchmarks by the THEIR OWN previous generation of processors?
lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lulmont
Member since 2010 • 671 Posts

edinsftw

This except bought in late 09.