rumor: system shock 2 infecting GoG and steam thanks to legacy IP troll

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

it would appear that we can be thankful a legacy gaming IP troll exists. n ight dive studio's a game publishing company that has basically been buying old game ip's and relisting them on the market has according to sources bought up system shock 2 and will be making an imminent release on both steam and GoG.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/11/system-shock-2-headed-to-digital-distributors-at-last-rumour/

while i dont approve of their methods to make money i can appreciate the end result for us the consumers. now maybe they will scored warcraft II or rise of nations :D

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Do homeworld series next:)

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
Has system shock 2 aged well? How does it compare to modern shooters such as Bioshock for example.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I loved system shock 1 and 2 when they were new. I remember playing SS1 a lot on my old 486 PC
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

System Shock 2 actually had a recent patch that makes the old copies work perfectly on modern computers.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

System Shock 2 actually had a recent patch that makes the old copies work perfectly on modern computers.

SAGE_OF_FIRE

I'm curious to see how it runs, have you tried it yourself?

Has system shock 2 aged well? How does it compare to modern shooters such as Bioshock for example.KodiakKoolaid

It's amongst the best of the horror genre, and is one of the only true roleplaying games in existence.  It's not a FPS and it's far better than Bioshock in every conceivable aspect.

Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

Has system shock 2 aged well? How does it compare to modern shooters such as Bioshock for example.KodiakKoolaid
Bioshock is not even close to how brilliant SS2 is fyi some people from the Bioshock team worked on System Shock which is why you see people compare the two.

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]and is one of the only true roleplaying games in existence.Socijalisticka

What?

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts

[QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"]Has system shock 2 aged well? How does it compare to modern shooters such as Bioshock for example.Moloch121

Bioshock is not even close to how brilliant SS2 is fyi some people from the Bioshock team worked on System Shock which is why you see people compare the two.

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]and is one of the only true roleplaying games in existence.Socijalisticka

What?

Wow, sounds real good. Hopefully it comes out on GoG or Steam so I can try it out.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

Socijalisticka

I'm curious to see how it runs, have you tried it yourself?

Yes, it runs great.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

SS2 is the best first-person RPG...

...after Deus Ex, that is :D

Seriously, its a classic in the truest sense: it does not age, it is as fun now as the first time you played it.  Still scares the crap out of me at times lol.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I'm sorry, i'm sure it's an amazing game but i don't understand how you guys can still play it right through till the end to this day. Personally it hasn't aged well to me at all (the story might have but definitely not the graphics).

Just looking at some pictures makes me cringe at even the thought of playing System Shock 2. I'm sorry but i admit to being a graphics wh0re :oops: lol

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

[QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"]Has system shock 2 aged well? How does it compare to modern shooters such as Bioshock for example.Moloch121

Agreed. I finally played through SS2 not too long ago and I'm glad that I played it after Bioshock. Bioshock is more accessible, but in terms of mechanics it is inferior imo.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11779 Posts

Nice, but there is a game I want on Gog more than any other. 

That is Emperor: Battle for Dune.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

Oh my... I'd definitely replay it again. 

DAT SHODAN! UHMPPPPFFFF

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Thats awesome news!
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

and is one of the only true roleplaying games in existence.Moloch121

What?

It's one of the few games in which character-types are distinct enough, with regards to how you are able to interact with the environment, and how efficient you are against certain obstacles, that it gives purpose to role.  In other supposed roleplaying games like Deus Ex, the choices you make are, for the most part, arbitrary.  The notion of divergent paths, with regards to character build, or NPC interaction, or with plot, is in itself meaningless.

Yes, it runs great.

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Great, time for another playthrough:).

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

I'm sorry, i'm sure it's an amazing game but i don't understand how you guys can still play it right through till the end to this day. Personally it hasn't aged well to me at all (the story might have but definitely not the graphics).

Just looking at some pictures makes me cringe at even the thought of playing System Shock 2. I'm sorry but i admit to being a graphics wh0re :oops: lol

BattleSpectre

So you don't understand that ppl value other things in games, rather than them needing to have modern graphics ?    

At least you admit to being a dirty graphics wh0re though !

And yes... SS2 crushes Bioshock. 

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
FINALLY! I already played SS2 as of now though, anyone who liked Bioshock or old school shooters, you MUST play this game!
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Good news. More older games need to come to digital distribution. 

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

bussinrounds

So you don't understand that ppl value other things in games, rather than them needing to have modern graphics ?

At least you admit to being a dirty graphics wh0re though !

And yes... SS2 crushes Bioshock.

Story > Gameplay >>>> Graphics but i have a rule with really old looking games.

AH what the hell who am i to argue? i guess i'll always be a filthy graphic-loving son of a b!tch! lol :D

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19550 Posts

It's no longer a rumour.

It's out in 23 hours, 16 minutes and 41 seconds (and counting). Check GOG's homepage!

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 G-Lord

It's no longer a rumour.

It's out in 23 hours, 16 minutes and 41 seconds (and counting). Check GOG's homepage!

Planeforger

Damn, you beat me to it. Just saw it when I went over the GoG. I wonder what sort of bonus content will be released with it. It's a bit strange that I'm more excited for a release of a 14 years old game than for many new games...

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Story > Gameplay >>>> Graphics but i have a rule with really old looking games.

AH what the hell who am i to argue? i guess i'll always be a filthy graphic-loving son of a b!tch! lol :D

BattleSpectre

The graphics are ugly as sin in SS2, especially those horrible models, but it is a great game despite that. That horror atmosphere is still bone chilling, the soundtrack is brilliant, the gameplay mechanics are remarcably non-clunky, the level design is excellent. I played this beast two years ago. 

And re-played it again about a month ago with that new patch, and a few other mods that i found on a forum. It was a genuine hassle, but after it was all said and done, i was playing the game with much better graphics, and it was so worth it.

I'm also a graphic whore, probably a bigger one than you since i never pass up to chance to shower games with countless graphical mods so i can unleash what the hardware is capable of. But i'm more impressed by how i can make a old game look, modded, than how a current game looks now.  

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 G-Lord

There is an interview about the rerelease on RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/many-questions-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog/

Great read if you want to know more about how this finally happened.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

There is an interview about the rerelease on RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/many-questions-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog/

Great read if you want to know more about how this finally happened.

G-Lord
Apparantly it's coming to Steam as well :o According to NIght Dive website... I'll just get it from GoG though. Funny how I'm more excited to replay this than any new game coming out... :|
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

SAGE_OF_FIRE
Aye aye, my original boxed copy is finally stable. Though I'll be buying this as soon as it comes out without a doubt, damn SS2 is good.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10358 Posts

in

will purchase

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Yeah, but it's very difficult to actually find a copy of the game that isn't highly priced. The cheapest on Amazon is $60 used and there is one on Ebay for $35 used (I'm not counting bids). That's the cheapest I can find and that's not really a fair price for such an old game. This is going to make the game much more accessible to people which is the best part of this news.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lucianu

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Yeah, but it's very difficult to actually find a copy of the game that isn't highly priced. The cheapest on Amazon is $60 used and there is one on Ebay for $35 used (I'm not counting bids). That's the cheapest I can find and that's not really a fair price for such an old game. This is going to make the game much more accessible to people which is the best part of this news.

35 bucks is pretty cheap for an average of 15 - 20 hours of length, never mind replayability. But i understand your logic, with PC games, there are always a ton of deals around. I once bought Age of Empires 3 for 50 cents or less a wile ago. 

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Well it appears I will be getting a Valentine's day gift afterall if System Shock 2 comes out tomorrow on GOG. Sure it's a gift I have to pay for but just to have it available is nice. Count me in for a purchase.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

Lucianu

35 bucks is pretty cheap for an average of 15 - 20 hours of length, never mind replayability. But i understand your logic, with PC games, there are always a ton of deals around. I once bought Age of Empires 3 for 50 cents or less a wile ago. 

The content of the game isn't the problem, the age is.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lucianu

The content of the game isn't the problem, the age is.Toxic-Seahorse

I look at the length wen i'm buying an old game, i don't assess its price based on its age if i have a pretty good idea that its aged mechanics wont hinder my enjoyment. 

SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts
Well, I'll be buying this tomorrow. Would like to see Dark Seed, Grim Fandango etc. joining suit soon.
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

I'll get it what the hell! ;), say,didn't someone remake it using the source engine?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AutoPilotOn
I have the CD somewhere but I will be rebuying on steam. I cant wait to replay.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Last time I played System Shock 2 was when it was released, and it was at a classmate's house.

That was 14 years ago.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#37 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
they've been trying all these years. It's criminal what they do with some of these franchises.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I'll probably repurchase this tomorrow just so I don't have to dig out the discs.  Yep, I am just that lazy.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AutoPilotOn
I remember spending hours on the SS1 demo on my 486 when I was younger. I want a new SS not just bioshock
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#40 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

I'd suggest everyone take a look at the main page at Gog.com - The game will be available in roughly 11 hours