This topic is locked from further discussion.

daGAWDly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 daGAWDly1
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts

So I've been using this really old linksys router that pretty much everyone has and its not too bad. I might lose connection once in a while, Internet will be slow if another computer is using up the bandwidth and the connection is fine with my wireless pci card which goes up to 300Mbps.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074

The service I have is pretty good, optimum triple play or something. I was wondering if maybe upgrading the router or modem or something would make the Internet faster. 54Mbps is what my router can go up to and this is what I would probably upgrade to which goes up to like 600Mbpshttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062 its got some pretty sweet features like you can connect an external hard drive and access the data you put in through your network, connect a printer to it, and it looks awesome.

what do you guys think?

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I currently use that ASUS one you linked. It's really good. Haven't had a single wireless issue at all. I do however have my main PC connected via Ethernet Cable, my phone and PS3 are wireless and if i'm not mistaken, their wifi adapters are weaker than the wifi antenna you linked. So if Wifi works flawlessly on those, i'm sure it'll be great on PC. BUT! The USB connection is hit or miss... Some have reported that the Wifi USB storage doesn't work sometimes, same with the Printer. I tried both for testing purposes on mine and they worked. So take that as however you will. Personally I would say go for it. It's an excellent Router with very easy to use interface once you get used to it.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

The ASUS router is fine, in terms of hardware...

The software blows, its probably the worst programmers creating it on this planet, its pure trash. I have RT N-16.

You will want to immediately put DD-WRT or Tomato on it as soon as you get it.

daGAWDly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 daGAWDly1

thanks guys, I kinda knew the router was great based on reviews and such but my question still is if it is worth it to spend that much money. Will I get higher speeds from going 54 to 600mbps and if there is a router that has more value for the money or cheaper one that will be as fast/reliable?

daGAWDly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 daGAWDly1

o yea and should I get a new modem? thing is like 8 years old

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

o yea and should I get a new modem? thing is like 8 years old

daGAWDly1

Uhh thats probably your problem, not the router, if its a Docsis 1 or 2 modem and your speed is higher than what it provides, its causing a huge bottleneck. What is the model and whats the advertised speed of your line?

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

I hear this is the best router money can buy other than the DRR655.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833281010

daGAWDly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 daGAWDly1

ok so I have a motorola surfboard sbv5120

http://www.adamscableequipment.com/uploads/2/6/7/4/2674188/sbv5120.pdf

and my router is a linkseys wrt54gs

should I get a new one of both or something? I'm not really sure how fast my internet should be with optimum online.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zaku101

ok so I have a motorola surfboard sbv5120

http://www.adamscableequipment.com/uploads/2/6/7/4/2674188/sbv5120.pdf

and my router is a linkseys wrt54gs

should I get a new one of both or something? I'm not really sure how fast my internet should be with optimum online.

daGAWDly1

Neither, none are even close to reaching their limit... If you want faster speeds you have to pay for it (faster plan).

Look at what plan you're actually paying for. I believe the highest plan provided is "Optimum Online Boost Plus" which is 50mbps.

Ur modem can go up to 32mbps and your router can do 52mbps, and I am pretty sure you aren't even paying for anything close to that.

Want to know your current plan speed go to www.speedtest.net and see what you get for download.

Also to note getting a new router which supports N wireless will improve your download speed via wireless but not go over ur plans max speed limit or a computer directly connected via ethernet.

Sure new routers can do600mbps but internet providers sure as hell aren't anywhere near that speed, maybe 20 years down the road. It's just a selling gimmick.

daGAWDly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 daGAWDly1

thank! that was really informative, I read that my internet service is suppose to be like 15mbps and when I saw 600mbps for that router I was like wtf?

I feel like I should replace one or both of the devices though, disconnects a couple times a day and lag can be really annoying

I tested the speed on speedtest.net and I get very inconsistant numbers, download speeds ranging from 1.5mbps to 18mbps and ping from 8ms to 115ms (don't know how thats possible maybe when other computer are in use or somthing)

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Will I get higher speeds from going 54 to 600mbps

daGAWDly1
I have a 38Mbps internet connection. I have to connect my PC wirelessly due to having my PC upstairs. I used to use a 54Mbps wireless adapter and when I was using that, the most I would get was about 20Mbps download speed. I bought a 300Mbps wireless N adapter (though It runs at 130Mbps due to my router) and I usually get the full 38Mbps, or there abouts. Hope this has helped.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zaku101

thank! that was really informative, I read that my internet service is suppose to be like 15mbps and when I saw 600mbps for that router I was like wtf?

I feel like I should replace one or both of the devices though, disconnects a couple times a day and lag can be really annoying

I tested the speed on speedtest.net and I get very inconsistant numbers, download speeds ranging from 1.5mbps to 18mbps and ping from 8ms to 115ms (don't know how thats possible maybe when other computer are in use or somthing)

daGAWDly1

Don't replace the modem, that isn't the problem.

I am guessing you ran the test wirelessly which would explain why it's jumping around so much. Try running it connected via ethernet.

Getting a wireless N router will improve your "wireless" speed over the G when your further away from ur box. It however will not really improve your max range. Keep in mind your wireless device has to support Wireless N to make use of it. The dropping of signal might be due to your location in the house/number of bars you're getting. Keep in mind things like signal strength also effect speed.

~Run the test Via ethernet with no other computers connected to it to make sure you're getting the speed you're paying for~

Also make sure you've got a password on your router or else someone might just be jacking your internet.

Try powering off ur modem and router. Then plug your modem in and let it fully boot up with everything flashing. Then power on your router, might help with the connection dropping/speed issue.

If you have to get something then get the DIR 655 router and just set it to wireless N only.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215&Tpk=dir%20655