Rise of the Triad review is up

This topic is locked from further discussion.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Here you go - 5.5

While I agree with the complaints, I think the score is way too harsh. I would say its a good game (not a mediocore one) and if quicksaving and optimisation issues can be fixed then it will easily be a great game. Despite its flaws you get quite a bit of fun for only 15 dollars. 

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts

That seems really harsh. Seemed like a fun game from what I saw in TBs WTF is rise of the triad. A nice throwback to oldschool shooters.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 way2funny

That seems really harsh. Seemed like a fun game from what I saw in TBs WTF is rise of the triad. A nice throwback to oldschool shooters.

R4gn4r0k

Yeah, its pretty sad.

The past year ive been trusting TB's first impressions magnitudes more than gamespots reviews. His criticisms remind me of how greg kasavin use to review for gamespot. 

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts

Hmm, lower than I thought it would get judging by what I saw on GB's quick look. Looks like a pretty fun game. His criticisms seem pretty minor to be honest and not fitting of a $15 game.

But whatever, just one man's opinion. The game has a 71 on metacritic so that'll tell you something. I don't understand why people get so worked up in the comments sections of Gamespot reviews now. It's on every single review and is getting ridiculous.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k

Yeah, its pretty sad.

The past year ive been trusting TB's first impressions magnitudes more than gamespots reviews. His criticisms remind me of how greg kasavin use to review for gamespot. 

way2funny

I like TBs stuff because if I like what I see from his gameplay videos, or any gameplay on youtube really, I know I'll like the game. Reviews were important to me back when I didn't know what genres or games I would like. Now scores and reviews have become all but meaningless.

What I do agree with in this review and what TB said: it's probably best to wait untill the performance issues are patched.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

But whatever, just one man's opinion. The game has a 71 on metacritic so that'll tell you something. I don't understand why people get so worked up in the comments sections of Gamespot reviews now. It's on every single review and is getting ridiculous.

Twisted14

It's starting to turn into IGN comments: "this game didn't get the score I like :cry:" Pretty much every hyped game gets a 9 at IGN now, I think that is to please the complainers...

Though complaints can have a positive outcome though: the Natural Selection 2 review was absolutely atrocious and because of all the negative feedback in the comments, GS had a different reviewer take a look at the game.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 way2funny

Hmm, lower than I thought it would get judging by what I saw on GB's quick look. Looks like a pretty fun game. His criticisms seem pretty minor to be honest and not fitting of a $15 game.

Twisted14

Im not really worked up about it, it just kind of dissapoints me because GS reviews use to line up with my views on games but not really anymore :(

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts

[QUOTE="Twisted14"]

way2funny

Im not really worked up about it, it just kind of dissapoints me because GS reviews use to line up with my views on games but not really anymore :(

It's okay to be disappointed in the review. I don't think the score quite fits the review or the game from what I've seen either, but people in the comment sections go way overboard every time.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

They should just remove the scores and tell you about the game and allow you to make your mind up. Much better that way.

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
Gotta admit the optimization is close to abysmal (game runs like ass on a 660 ti for some reason) but the reviewer's complaints are pretty damn pathetic. Too hard? Overuse of environmental hazards and platforming? Come on, he didn't even play the original game. He probably doesn't even bhop. But yeah I really hope some massive optimization comes eventually cuz the game's pretty hard to play on 25-50 fps.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I was going to pick up this old school remake, but then I saw the 5.5 review on Gamespot - the Gaming Authority and decided to pass. Must be completely broken and doesn't live up to the original if they give it such a harsh review. Guess I'm not gonna buy it.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Are you surprised?  GS only seems to like over-hyped AAA garbage made for the brain-dead masses or, in other words, the games that buy the ads that keep the site afloat. Anyone who buys games based solely on a GS review needs to have his or her head examined.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

They should just remove the scores and tell you about the game and allow you to make your mind up. Much better that way.

gameofthering
Nobody reads the reviews, mate. We only care about scores. Why you think Metacritic is the main metric used on Steam? Because scores are more important than facts. It helps you make a biased opinion. Welcome to the real world.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Are you surprised?  GS only seems to like over-hyped AAA garbage made for the brain-dead masses or, in other words, the games that buy the ads that keep the site afloat. Anyone who buys games based solely on a GS review needs to have his or her head examined.

-wildflower-

Yup. Haven't really gone with GS reviews in years. Honestly, I don't even go by anyone's reviews. I much prefer gameplay videos with commentary (like TB). They tell you what the game does right and wrong and you can judge for yourself if those pros and cons affect your own decision.

It's crazy how people will just buy or not buy said game because of the numerical score it receives.... :roll:

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

I could care less about the "score" it recieves. However the bad optimization, well that definitely knocks the game down a few notches on the priority list, and pushes it for a "sale" only buy.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I could care less about the "score" it recieves. However the bad optimization, well that definitely knocks the game down a few notches on the priority list, and pushes it for a "sale" only buy.

Lach0121

Does seem odd that a PC only game has bad optimization.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 way2funny

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Cwagmire21

Why would that seem odd? The team that made this game only comprised of two programmers. These guys are an indie team, they can't work miracles

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

If you praise this game, you haven't reached E2L2.

As long as you're shooting dudes in the face and dodge a trap or two, the game is fantastic.

The platforming is incredibly bad. It requires extreme precision and timing, but the game has five different characters with different speeds, the movement is too floaty and the inertia is too strong. It's poorly designed and impossible to balance. The bad checkpoints are just the cherry on top of the shit sandwich.

The original ROTT wasn't a classic. It's only remembered for the extreme gore and interesting origins. Every level after the shareware portion was rubbish and felt put together in 30 minutes. The traps were a massive offender, and frankly the remake makes them even worse.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

way2funny

Why would that seem odd? The team that made this game only comprised of two programmers. These guys are an indie team, they can't work miracles

Meanwhile, a team of husband and wife made CubeWorld which runs absolutely great. And Dust: An Elysian Tail was made by one guy and it runs beautifully. Don't release it until you're absolutely ready should be the motto for all developers and publishers.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#20 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Total Biscuit seemed to really like it, besides the bad optimization.

Will get it when it gets patched up, it really sucks that its badly optimized as other than that seems good. But when even Titans have issues with the game, something is wrong.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

One of the most funnest fps I have played recently, this is props going to be my fps despite its issues such as optimization issues, and bugs.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

If you praise this game, you haven't reached E2L2.

As long as you're shooting dudes in the face and dodge a trap or two, the game is fantastic.

The platforming is incredibly bad. It requires extreme precision and timing, but the game has five different characters with different speeds, the movement is too floaty and the inertia is too strong. It's poorly designed and impossible to balance. The bad checkpoints are just the cherry on top of the shit sandwich.

The original ROTT wasn't a classic. It's only remembered for the extreme gore and interesting origins. Every level after the shareware portion was rubbish and felt put together in 30 minutes. The traps were a massive offender, and frankly the remake makes them even worse.

Baranga

Try and do the secert passage at too old for this shit, on E2EL2. HAHAHHA, it will test those platforming skills to the max. After around 50 plus tries, I did it, I did the secert passage! Its insanly hard!

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

Has anyone else found that its crazy hard to see in this game? I'm playing on max settings (also i found it funny that i got an achievement for that) and the general darkness of the game just makes it pretty hard to focus. also, the visuals aren't nearly as good in motion as screenshots would have you believe

and while i cant speak too much to the poor optimization, I'm running a gtx 780 and core i7 with > 60 fps, I have found that when I gib someone at point blank with a rocket or something the frame rate does hyper briefly dip. also when you hit checkpoints, but thats more understandable

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

also, what does the rocket launcer with the screen on it do? all the alt fire seems to do is turn the screen on and off.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 way2funny

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Elann2008

Meanwhile, a team of husband and wife made CubeWorld which runs absolutely great. And Dust: An Elysian Tail was made by one guy and it runs beautifully. Don't release it until you're absolutely ready should be the motto for all developers and publishers.

Thats a 2D game :| You seriously can't see a difference between those situations?

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

also, what does the rocket launcer with the screen on it do? all the alt fire seems to do is turn the screen on and off.

REforever101

Heat seeking missiles. Just shoot it in the general direction of the enemy. It makes heating food during fights a pain in the ass.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Well at least its not another military shooter right... right?
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

People still go to one site for reviews? I stopped this years ago because you aren't going to get an accurate portrayal of the game from 1 reviewer. An example is when I want an RPG review I typically will go to Gamebanshee, RPG Codex (yes they are elitist as hell, but they know their stuff), RPGfan, RPGamer, and youtube.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
I'll still pick it up eventually. The original wasn't as popular as other first person shooters, like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom, but that didn't stop me from having a ton of fun with the game. Hell, I still have the original RoTT in my closet, and I didn't keep many of my early PC games...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

way2funny

Thats a 2D game :| You seriously can't see a difference between those situations?

Cubeworld isn't 2D.. Dust is.. but that's besides my point. You should release a game when "it's done." Not release an unoptimized game and expect customers to buy it. You can't seriously see the point in that? Or you just blindly defending developers who release games half-assed?

And you can't tell me a one-man team making a game like Dust isn't impressive.  Sounds like you're trying to discredit other people's work to prove you're right.  I shouldn't even dignify your comment with a response..

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 way2funny

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Meanwhile, a team of husband and wife made CubeWorld which runs absolutely great. And Dust: An Elysian Tail was made by one guy and it runs beautifully. Don't release it until you're absolutely ready should be the motto for all developers and publishers.Elann2008

Cubeworld isn't 2D.. Dust is.. but that's besides my point. You should release a game when "it's done." Not release an unoptimized game and expect customers to buy it. You can't seriously see the point in that? Or you just blindly defending developers who release games half-assed?

And you can't tell me a one-man team making a game like Dust isn't impressive.  Sounds like you're trying to discredit other people's work to prove you're right.  I shouldn't even dignify your comment with a response..

Dust is impressive, and for a 2 man team rise of the triad even in its current state is impressive. I think your confusing the magnitude in difference in complexity of 2d and 3d games.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#32 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Guarantee there'd still be a storm on here if GS didn't review it at all.
CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Meanwhile, a team of husband and wife made CubeWorld which runs absolutely great. And Dust: An Elysian Tail was made by one guy and it runs beautifully. Don't release it until you're absolutely ready should be the motto for all developers and publishers.Elann2008

Don;t think the production of the those game are comparable they were pretty much making an old school shooter with more up to date graphics