Retail box store shelf release date for Star Citizen?

BluePhoenix81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 BluePhoenix81
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

I know the question of "when will Star Citizen be released" has been asked over and over again. I also know that Star Citizen is publicly available in downloadable "modules" now. However, I am not asking or concerned about the downloaded and playable modules currently available. I would like to know the actual date, even if it is ballpark, when I can walk into Walmart, Best Buy or wherever and pick up a complete retail box copy of Star Citizen.

I searched Google for this question and while there are tons of pages and websites explaining when the modules have been released and when new ones are supposed to be released, I have not found an answer to what I am asking, hence, why I am asking it here on a public game forum. I personally haven't downloaded the game and I am interested in it but I do not want to be a beta (or alpha) tester. I realize the game is fairly polished now (that is debatable according to some) but it still is not the final version and still has bugs that are publicly experienced and addressed. I want to buy a finalized retail box, retail shore shelf version. When will this be (even ballpark)?

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2451 Posts

Ahahahahahahahahaha!

(catches breath)

AAAAAAaahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!

Good one.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

2035 is what I've been hearing.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

6 posts and this lol. I'm more interested in SQ42.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Why would they do a retail box release?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Loodko_Koopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Loodko_Koopus
Member since 2018 • 69 Posts

@attirex said:

Ahahahahahahahahaha!

(catches breath)

AAAAAAaahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!

Good one.

hahaha my thoughts exactly.

Dude, just play another space game (more like 50 of them) like Elite or SPG Warlords while you wait.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

They already took too long.

At first it was a technological marvel...new engines are already out, games already look better.

This whole thing is a great example of a game lost to the winds of time. At any point they "finished" it, nobody will care.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

@demi0227_basic: Not really, Star Citizen continues to get graphical updates , the graphical upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 is pretty big. What are these new engines? Technically Star Citizen is on a new engine since they went from CryEngine to Lumberyard for better online tech plus they have most of Crytek's talent so it won't be hard for them to modify it to their needs which they already have. You're also assuming these new engines will actually display the graphics shown in their tech demos in real games. Remember Luminous? Exactly. Even if it does lose to other games in graphics none of them will even be doing half the stuff Star Citizen does as none of those games will be on the same scale as it. It will likely just be another linear/generic open world game that has nowhere near the level of environment/sandbox interaction and detail as Star Citizen. So in other words the next big AAA game may beat Star Citizen graphics but it will lose in everything else.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Even when it's out why would it avaible innbkxed retail, majority of PC games arnt.

Loodko_Koopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Loodko_Koopus
Member since 2018 • 69 Posts

@thehig1: I'm pretty sure there will never be a box, they said it'll be a huge install, like 100Gb.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I doubt Star Citizen will ever have a traditional release, it will just continue to grow from where it is now and one day they call an update patch Star Citizen 1.0

Squadron 42, the single player game, will definitely have a more traditional release, with an actual launch date and everything. When that will be, I don't think even C.I.G. have an actual target date in mind.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

If it does it will not contain any game data. Just a way to download the game.

Just go to the store and buy some merch if you want to get your feelies on.

You could make your own box too. Or have one made.

It just doesn't make sense to have physical game releases these days outside of collector's editions.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

@bluephoenix81: Honestly, I just want the Squadron 42 Single Player portion of the game. Now that they are releasing in chapters, hopefully they don't take years to come out...

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@bluephoenix81 said:

I know the question of "when will Star Citizen be released" has been asked over and over again. I also know that Star Citizen is publicly available in downloadable "modules" now. However, I am not asking or concerned about the downloaded and playable modules currently available. I would like to know the actual date, even if it is ballpark, when I can walk into Walmart, Best Buy or wherever and pick up a complete retail box copy of Star Citizen.

I searched Google for this question and while there are tons of pages and websites explaining when the modules have been released and when new ones are supposed to be released, I have not found an answer to what I am asking, hence, why I am asking it here on a public game forum. I personally haven't downloaded the game and I am interested in it but I do not want to be a beta (or alpha) tester. I realize the game is fairly polished now (that is debatable according to some) but it still is not the final version and still has bugs that are publicly experienced and addressed. I want to buy a finalized retail box, retail shore shelf version. When will this be (even ballpark)?

not a snowblaz chance in hell any date you are given is worth holding much hope on.

I am not a hater to be clear, I think the project scope is awesome and I think they are trying hard to make it happen but one thing is EXTREEMLY clear to me, their largest flaw by far is time estimation.

so i would not even bother

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

April 1st, two thousand and never.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2451 Posts

No one cares about this game anymore. The world has already moved on.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@attirex said:

Elite Dangerous will have space legs before this game is done for sure

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@attirex said:

That's kind of odd seeing as the backer population is continually growing and they are still bringing in more than enough money to carry on working.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts
@NoodleFighter said:

@demi0227_basic: Not really, Star Citizen continues to get graphical updates , the graphical upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 is pretty big. What are these new engines? Technically Star Citizen is on a new engine since they went from CryEngine to Lumberyard for better online tech plus they have most of Crytek's talent so it won't be hard for them to modify it to their needs which they already have. You're also assuming these new engines will actually display the graphics shown in their tech demos in real games. Remember Luminous? Exactly. Even if it does lose to other games in graphics none of them will even be doing half the stuff Star Citizen does as none of those games will be on the same scale as it. It will likely just be another linear/generic open world game that has nowhere near the level of environment/sandbox interaction and detail as Star Citizen. So in other words the next big AAA game may beat Star Citizen graphics but it will lose in everything else.

Star citizen isn't even doing half of what it is supposed to do. This thing is basically vaporware at this point. (I donated to the project back in 2013)