Reinstalling an OEM on a new motherboard.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Long story short....

I had to buy a new mobo, and so I'm trying to install my previous version of windows - it's was/is an OEM disc.

Well turns out you can't install OEMs on new hardware(just learned that), but anyway just for the heck of it I tried to install it and when I get to "install windows" screen - you know where it ask "language, date, time" it automatically freezes. Is this normal?

Guess I'm gonna have to just go buy a retail copy of windows 7 if I can find one...

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

I re-installed my copy of windows 7 64bit OEM and had no problems (I don't know where you heard that you can't re-install it).

I simply re-installed the software (disc) and then called microsoft support and got a new license key (they re-activated my copy of windows over the phone/gave me a new key without a single question asked).

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fightingfan
With new hardware? I was told they won't provide the key. I guess I can try. It's late, gonna see how I can wipe my SSD and HDD clean via the bios and see if that fixes the problem.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
I just don't get why it freezes constant upon booting up - same spot "language, time, date".
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fightingfan
Thinking it could be a ram issue - gonna see if ram's not on right tomrrow.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

With new hardware? I was told they won't provide the key. I guess I can try. It's late, gonna see how I can wipe my SSD and HDD clean via the bios and see if that fixes the problem.Fightingfan
Yeah with new hardware (I replaced the motherboard and CPU).

All I did was reformat my harddrive (which is recommeneded for motherboard/CPU upgrades) and then installed my windows cd.

I called microsoft support using this method (click windows 7 under the resolution tab and the instruction are there http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us ). I choose to speak to a representive and they gave me a new activation key (I've talked to some people with OEM software and they all had support give them keys without any questions asked). Its a common joke that they give out keys like hotcakes

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts
Could it be you don't have the right drivers installed? Check your BIOS to make sure everything is sane. I have had an OEM Win7 install, so that shouldn't be a problem. So long as you have the product key. Your freezing problems do not have anything to do with that. If you suspect RAM, try the built in RAM tester. Although, I tend to doubt that it is a hardware issue, but I wouldn't rule it out. >>>>It's late, gonna see how I can wipe my SSD and HDD clean via the bios and see if that fixes the problem. I really think you have not set up your hard drives correctly. Google for a tutorial about how to go through the install process. And follow the steps carefully.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fightingfan
Ram is good. CPU is good temp wise, mobo too. SSD and HDD should be fine as the mobo picks them up just fine. Still can't seem to past the "Language, time, input methods". Appears to freeze mouse and keyboard obviously work on bios so.... IDK...
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

Could it be you don't have the right drivers installed? Check your BIOS to make sure everything is sane. I have had an OEM Win7 install, so that shouldn't be a problem. So long as you have the product key. Your freezing problems do not have anything to do with that. If you suspect RAM, try the built in RAM tester. Although, I tend to doubt that it is a hardware issue, but I wouldn't rule it out. >>>>It's late, gonna see how I can wipe my SSD and HDD clean via the bios and see if that fixes the problem. I really think you have not set up your hard drives correctly. Google for a tutorial about how to go through the install process. And follow the steps carefully.jcknapier711

There's no drivers installed when you're doing a clean install of Windows.

When there's RAM issues, the PC usually gets stuck in a reboot loop, while yours just freezes in the same spot.  Maybe it's an update issue?  try installing with the PC disconnected from the net.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fightingfan
It's not connect to the internet.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
OEMs work. I've installed my Win7 OEM on 4 different CPU/Motherboard swaps. Worst case scenario, you will have to activate online, and it may require you to call the Microsoft automated number to manually activate it which takes less than 10 minutes. If it hangs during any part of the setup, it's usually just loading and you need to wait. Sometimes, very lengthy periods if you have an older computer. There was one time where I had the same issue as you, where it would just hang.. but I just kept on trying and trying, and it eventually passed the "freezing' part. It's usually loading and it may take a while.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Long story short....

I had to buy a new mobo, and so I'm trying to install my previous version of windows - it's was/is an OEM disc.

Well turns out you can't install OEMs on new hardware(just learned that), but anyway just for the heck of it I tried to install it and when I get to "install windows" screen - you know where it ask "language, date, time" it automatically freezes. Is this normal?

Guess I'm gonna have to just go buy a retail copy of windows 7 if I can find one...

Fightingfan

I changed my CPU from a Phenom II X3 720BE to an FX-8350. I also changed the motherboard from a Gigabyte AM3 board to an ASUS AM3+ board. I used my existing Win 7 OEM install. After booting into Windows 7, I got the prompt to reactivate, pressed Okay....... Done.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Long story short....

Fightingfan

You can call the microsoft number to get them to activate it with your new motherboard.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jcknapier711

JimmyJumpy
Windows has to install drivers before the installation to get the hard drives (and other things) to function... How are you going to install Windows onto a device it can't give instructions to?
jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jcknapier711

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Long story short....

GummiRaccoon

You can call the microsoft number to get them to activate it with your new motherboard.

This. I had just assumed the TC wanted to reinstall from scratch.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Long story short....

jcknapier711

I am, well technically not scratch as the Hard drives are partitioned. Letting my buddy handle it - Im pretty sure the issue is with the SSD. Also Microsoft isn't legally required to "reactivate" OEM product codes, but it's no biggy to them to be honest. I have to call them up and just explain the situations, inform you guys later. Product codes(OEMs) are locked to the Mobo and CPU, and so if you change either part; technically you're legally required to buy a new product key.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fightingfan
OEMs work. I've installed my Win7 OEM on 4 different CPU/Motherboard swaps. Worst case scenario, you will have to activate online, and it may require you to call the Microsoft automated number to manually activate it which takes less than 10 minutes. If it hangs during any part of the setup, it's usually just loading and you need to wait. Sometimes, very lengthy periods if you have an older computer. There was one time where I had the same issue as you, where it would just hang.. but I just kept on trying and trying, and it eventually passed the "freezing' part. It's usually loading and it may take a while.Elann2008
That's what i kept doing retrying, but no luck. SSD so I shouldn't have to wait too long, but did a 15min wait and still nothing. My bud will figure it out and update me on it.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="jcknapier711"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Fightingfan

I am, well technically not scratch as the Hard drives are partitioned. Letting my buddy handle it - Im pretty sure the issue is with the SSD. Also Microsoft isn't legally required to "reactivate" OEM product codes, but it's no biggy to them to be honest. I have to call them up and just explain the situations, inform you guys later. Product codes(OEMs) are locked to the Mobo and CPU, and so if you change either part; technically you're legally required to buy a new product key.

You are also allowed to try and convince them to let you install it on a new motherboard.  Which they do constantly.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="jcknapier711"]Could it be you don't have the right drivers installed? Check your BIOS to make sure everything is sane. I have had an OEM Win7 install, so that shouldn't be a problem. So long as you have the product key. Your freezing problems do not have anything to do with that. If you suspect RAM, try the built in RAM tester. Although, I tend to doubt that it is a hardware issue, but I wouldn't rule it out. >>>>It's late, gonna see how I can wipe my SSD and HDD clean via the bios and see if that fixes the problem. I really think you have not set up your hard drives correctly. Google for a tutorial about how to go through the install process. And follow the steps carefully.JimmyJumpy

When there's RAM issues, the PC usually gets stuck in a reboot loop, while yours just freezes in the same spot.  Maybe it's an update issue?  try installing with the PC disconnected from the net.

Then nothing would work ever.

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JimmyJumpy

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

[QUOTE="jcknapier711"]Could it be you don't have the right drivers installed? Check your BIOS to make sure everything is sane. I have had an OEM Win7 install, so that shouldn't be a problem. So long as you have the product key. Your freezing problems do not have anything to do with that. If you suspect RAM, try the built in RAM tester. Although, I tend to doubt that it is a hardware issue, but I wouldn't rule it out. >>>>It's late, gonna see how I can wipe my SSD and HDD clean via the bios and see if that fixes the problem. I really think you have not set up your hard drives correctly. Google for a tutorial about how to go through the install process. And follow the steps carefully.GummiRaccoon

Now what kind of stupid remark is that?

A fresh install means the hard drive is empty.  You install your OS and *then* your drivers, i.e. what comes with the mobo, sound card, GPU, etc. ...

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

JimmyJumpy

A fresh install means the hard drive is empty.  You install your OS and *then* your drivers, i.e. what comes with the mobo, sound card, GPU, etc. ...

Understanding of computers status = minus one

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JimmyJumpy

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

Seemingly still one better than you :P

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

JimmyJumpy

I'm choosing to believe that you are trolling and not just as clueless as you are presenting yourself as.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fightingfan
*Face palm* My issue was I was connecting my keyboard and mouse into my USB 3.0. Pretty much my entire motherboard only has usb 3.0 and only 1-2 usb 2.0. Can't recognize until windows is installed...
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

*Face palm* My issue was I was connecting my keyboard and mouse into my USB 3.0. Pretty much my entire motherboard only has usb 3.0 and only 1-2 usb 2.0. Can't recognize until windows is installed... Fightingfan

Yup, that'll do it. The fact that you're running an OEM copy of Windows only affects activation. Any other symptom you experience trying to install Windows will be unrelated to your OEM copy.

While MS is not required to reset your activiation, they are generally pretty lenient about that sort of thing if you call them up and give them a reasonable explanation. The only real distinction between an OEM and Retail copy of Windows is that the OEMs come with fewer activiations on distinct hardware (all versions have unlimited activiations on the same hardware).

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

I'm choosing to believe that you are trolling and not just as clueless as you are presenting yourself as.

I think he's probably that clueless.

-Byshop