Recommend spaceship games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

renesito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 renesito
Member since 2006 • 396 Posts

I have only played very few spaceship games. One was Tachyon: The Fringe (PC)

Anyone know of any other game that's in space and maybe you get a ship to drive around?

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
the latest and greatest is x3 terran conflict. But, the more critically acllaimed games like Free Lancer, and Dark Star One are good as well.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts
Ahhhh Tachyon, featuring the almighty Bruce Campbell as the voice actor! That was a good one, RIP Novalogic

Anyway, my favorite are:

Independence War 2 (my fav)
Freelancer
X3, more like a sim such as Falcon 4.0 in terms of complexity
Darksomething...I forgot the whole name, but it was good for an "arcade" spacesim
grassdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 grassdream
Member since 2006 • 1902 Posts

Ahhhh Tachyon, featuring the almighty Bruce Campbell as the voice actor! That was a good one, RIP Novalogic
mrbojangles25

? Novalogic is still around,, they're making a new Delta Force

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]Ahhhh Tachyon, featuring the almighty Bruce Campbell as the voice actor! That was a good one, RIP Novalogic
grassdream

? Novalogic is still around,, they're making a new Delta Force

Really? I thought they were just making simulations for the military now

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Freelancer? I haven't played the other games so i don't fully know if Freelancer is like either of the two mentioned, but you fly around... in a spaceship.

I thought it was fun, butgot stuck after awhile and i just didn't go on. The online was pretty cool too... I always wanted to have a giant Frigate with like 20 guns on it, but the servers usually lagged too much to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Other then the ones mentioned..

FREESPACE 2, its free and legal download to one of the best games of all time.. Don't trust me look it up in Gamespots hall of fame.. Further more its heavily modded, watch the link in my signature.. It is a compiled video of multiple scenes in Freespace 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Freelancer? I haven't played the other games so i don't fully know if Freelancer is like either of the two mentioned, but you fly around... in a spaceship.

I thought it was fun, butgot stuck after awhile and i just didn't go on. The online was pretty cool too... I always wanted to have a giant Frigate with like 20 guns on it, but the servers usually lagged too much to play.

Agent_Kaliaver

X3 Terran Conflict you can fly every ship in the game, from tiny scouts to massive capital ships.

_Ez_NaNdI_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _Ez_NaNdI_
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hey guys!

Sorry im new to this whole posting deal..

I was just wondering a quick question!

I am on the search for a spaceship commander game, but you get to control which weapon to use, when to turn on shields, and so on. So basically, if anyone has seen the Stargate: Atlantis series, i would love a game where i can play the roll of the colonel steven Caldwell, General of the Deadalus.

I've already looked at games like X3: Terran Conflict but the game play isn't what i was hoping for.

If anyone can help me find said game i would be most appretiative.

Sincerely,

Bakos133

ps. bonus would be if you could walk around the interior of the ship.. similar to mass effect 2 & 1

renesito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 renesito

It took me two years to try and get the games recommended here. It was tough but eventually I got around to play most of them, except Freelancer which was impossible to buy. The last one I am playing is X3 Terran Conflict but since I am only a few hours in it doesn't look fun yet, I read it takes time to get to the fun stuff. So far my favorite has been Tachyon, Bruce Campbell's voice acting increases the game's awesomeness by a lot.

Well thank you all for the replys, even though my reply is two years late.

If anyone has more Spaceship/Sim/Shooter games to recommend I am all ears, or should I say eyes lol.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
It was tough but eventually I got around to play most of them, except Freelancer which was impossible to buy.renesito
Really? Amazon sells it and even Amazon.uk sells it. Obviously that doesn't reach everyone, but if they sell it (and Newegg too) then it has to be in a lot more online shops. It definitely won't be in any local stores, but it is online for sure.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

I just beat Project Freedom, and while it's certainly not a great game, I'd definitely say it was enough fun to be worth $2.99. There are 21 missions lasting about 4-5 hours total, the controls are really solid, there's a basic upgrade system for your ship which is satisfying enough to carry you through the game. In addition, the graphics are fun and make great use of color, and the writing is cheesy and generally amusing. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a serious space combat game, but for three bucks, it's a fun little action space shooter that left me feeling pretty satisfied. Check it out if you're feeling a bit non-commital.

JPS35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JPS35
Member since 2006 • 70 Posts

1. Freespace 1, 2, and Silent Threat are the greatest ever created bar none. Great graphics, sounds, storyline, atmosphere, weapons, ships, etc. even by today's standards. There is also an open source for updated graphics, mods, etc. that is also great!

2. Independence War 2 - Fan-f'ing-tastic! Newtonian physics, open game play, great weapons, varied missions and story,

3. Freelancer (the "prequel" to Tachyon) and a better game, but overhyped for what it was supposed to be.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Though visually challenged by today's standards, Freespace 1 and 2 are fantastic space sims.
Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

There is also Evochron Legends, not a bad game at all

Av177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Av177
Member since 2006 • 158 Posts

This genre is lusting for an update. Heres to hoping a competent devolper understands theres a market for it. Gimme another TIE Fighter!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 AvatarBlue
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

Darksomething...I forgot the whole name, but it was good for an "arcade" spacesimmrbojangles25
Dark Horizon,if its recent! Ive played WingCommander: Privateer if that counts, Freespace 2, X-Wing (& Tie-Fighter & Alliance) - all amazing in their day. Picked up an old copy of Independence wars 2.... Need to see if I can get that to work!

renesito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 renesito

I actually got Freelancer and Independence War 2, that was tricky.

Ty for the info everyone.

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
Definetly X:3 for offline play. If you want it MMO go eve online, the best MMORPG out there if you ask me. It's really something different. If you like oldies try elite3: frontier first encounter.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I used to play Tachyon- The Fringe! That was a pretty sweet game for it's time. My personal favorites are:

-Descent- Freespace

-Freespace 2

-Wing Commander Prophecy

-Wing Commander Secret Ops

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
Simply put, if you want a more casual game get freespace if you wan't absolute freedom get something out the X series.
Freak2121GTAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Freak2121GTAF
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

I recommend waiting for Infinity to come.

Even if it has no set release date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7eREddMjt4&feature=player_embedded&fmt=22

AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts

1. Freespace 1, 2, and Silent Threat are the greatest ever created bar none. Great graphics, sounds, storyline, atmosphere, weapons, ships, etc. even by today's standards. There is also an open source for updated graphics, mods, etc. that is also great!

2. Independence War 2 - Fan-f'ing-tastic! Newtonian physics, open game play, great weapons, varied missions and story,

3. Freelancer (the "prequel" to Tachyon) and a better game, but overhyped for what it was supposed to be.

JPS35

only discovered the open source stuff today been installing it this evening, was given a link to this todayhttp://scp.indiegames.us/gonna DL the babylon 5 mod at some point and i cant wait for the BSG and starwars ones to be finished.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Evochron Mercenary... ENjoy.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Even if it has no set release date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7eREddMjt4&feature=player_embedded&fmt=22

Freak2121GTAF

WOW. I really want this to come out and fulfill all of my dreams of a great modern space sim.

choplo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 choplo
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hey guys!

I am on the search for a spaceship commander game, but you get to control which weapon to use, when to turn on shields, and so on. So basically, if anyone has seen the Stargate: Atlantis series, i would love a game where i can play the roll of the colonel steven Caldwell, General of the Deadalus.

I've already looked at games like X3: Terran Conflict but the game play isn't what i was hoping for.

Sincerely,

Bakos133

ps. bonus would be if you could walk around the interior of the ship.. similar to mass effect 2 & 1

_Ez_NaNdI_
im new here as well and i am a die hard stargate fan. im a big ultimate fan of space and the universe. i love the prometheus and the Deadalus, and im looking to play a game like what your looking to play. im going crazy not finding what we both are looking for. i tryed battlestar galactica online for free and its WACK. eve online looks like to much money and little bit of what were looking for. please help me or im going to die. i need to get beemed up by a asguard beem on to the x303....
XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

Freak2121GTAF

Holy crap.... that game has potential. Going from space to the surface of a planet is pretty cool. I guess I am impressed by that due to EVE Online's lack of that ability. And speaking of which, CCP better pull a miracle out of their backsides when this comes out because I'm certain Infinity will draw off the same player base who also enjoys or enjoyed EVE Online

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
[QUOTE="_Ez_NaNdI_"]

Hey guys!

Sincerely,

Bakos133

choplo
im new here as well and i am a die hard stargate fan. im a big ultimate fan of space and the universe. i love the prometheus and the Deadalus, and im looking to play a game like what your looking to play. im going crazy not finding what we both are looking for. i tryed battlestar galactica online for free and its WACK. eve online looks like to much money and little bit of what were looking for. please help me or im going to die. i need to get beemed up by a asguard beem on to the x303....

Wow, this thread is from 2008....
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
[QUOTE="kris9031998"] Wow, this thread is from 2008....

Yes but it doesn't hurt to leave a friendly reminder about gamespot policy. Hey choplo posting or bumping old threads is considered disruptive try to keep it up to 2 months in age. Feel free to start a new thread if you wish :)