Recently picked up a broken MacBook that has AppleCare+. Worth taking to apple?

bruzehual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 bruzehual
Member since 2021 • 4 Posts

Hello. Recently picked up a 2019 15” touchbar MacBook Pro from the original owner, off of FB market. Paid just over $100. Pretty decent deal.

It doesn’t turn on but after checking the serial number, it has AppleCare+. If I take this in for repair, would I still be able to fix it since it has AppleCare+ valid until 2022, and if so, would it be a fair price? Not sure what’s broken on it, but no water damage.

I want to open it to inspect but I don’t want to void the warranty.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 sealionact  Online
Member since 2014 • 8078 Posts

I’m not sure, but you might want to check that apple care is transferable? Should be locked to the hardware though. I’d definitely say it would be worth contacting them…nothing to lose.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts

Because this a PC gamer forum, IBF someone will tell you it's better to commit suicide than bother repairing that POS computer. Apple sucks, etc. :-)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 8288 Posts

Lol maybe ask the owner what happened? When you hit the power button there is no activity at all? Could be as simple as a broken button, or as bad as a busted mobo. There are prob some diagnostic steps you can take to narrow it down. Input from the owner about when/where it broke could be helpful.

Idk for sure, but I would assume AppleCare will not be available to you since you are not the person associated with the account. I could be wrong, and I would be incredibly surprised if I am.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 6510 Posts

Apple care is transferable. But the original owner has to do it? Ask Apple.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12693 Posts

@attirex: it's called PC/Mac/Linux Society forum

and I don't think Apple is bad, people just make poor decisions :D

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts

@gerygo:

Aha, true. MacBooks are fine if you're not using it as a gaming laptop. That is a bad decision.

manishkob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 manishkob
Member since 2021 • 4 Posts

Hello. Recently picked up a 2019 15” touchbar MacBook Pro from the original owner, off of FB market. Paid just over $100. Pretty decent deal.

https://xender.vip/ It doesn’t turn on but after checking the serial number, it has AppleCare+. If I take this in for repair, would I still be able to fix it since it has AppleCare+ valid until 2022, and if so, would it be a fair price? Not sure what’s broken on it, but no water damage. https://nox.tips/

I want to open it to inspect but I don’t want to void the warranty.

issue got solved!!