Reason for so many sci-fi strategy games, do people really like it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FiRe1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FiRe1987
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts

I was just thinking lately how many decent or good strategy games we got over the years and noticed that most of them are either really sci-fi or just plain childish and unrealistic, so I was wondering what do you people think about it? Do you like such games? Why do the developers keep making such games in high numbers?

For me, I like historical games aswell as modern games, I don't even have much against a bit futuristic ones (Take C&C Generals, few decades in the future, nothing crazy unrealistic or sci-fi, just a bit more modern army), but I just can't bring miself to play those really crazy sci-fi futuristic ones, for example dawn of war is hailed as one of the best strategy games yet I just don't particularly enjoy it at all, since its too sci-fi. Then we have another example which is Red Alert 3, which has some elements of some absolutely ridicilous and unrealistic and plain childish things, things like freaking destroyers going on land with tank tracks and stuff like that.. and of course japan is also crazy sci-fi like the thing mentioned before.

So hence I have a hard time since most of the games are too sci-fi for me, so why do you think developers keep making most games like that? Why don't we have many modern history games, or cold war games, or even more historical games like dawn of war for example, apart from company of heroes.

Overall why do you think developers make most game sci-fi and futuristic, do most of the people playing games really prefer that?

FiRe1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FiRe1987

Really? Nobody?

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
But there are plenty of strategy games that aren't sci-fi. Civilization, Eador, Fallen Enchantress, Jagged Alliance, King Arthur, King's Bounty, Might and Magic, Omerta, Tropico, Total War,
Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

yea, sci-fi strategy games are in the low - most are historical or fantasy strategy games - we do have warhammer 40k  and homeworld - and a bunch of sh1tty strategy games - no1 likes sh1tty games -PC gamers especially - but good sci fi like warhammer 40k and homeworld are imo awesome. 

My favourite of all strategy games, are the ones from the Total War series - splendid games in every way imaginable - good strategy part, good tactical part, mod support - which often results in decent AI and somewhat historical accuracy (depends how much of a geek you are, imo the historical accuracy is a bit off the side - but it's still 100x better than any other games to compare it with, except maybe some of the heavy strategy games from Paradox). 

In short: If sci-fi strategy games are made the right way (homeworld), I think they are awesome - but if they are half arsed, I don't like them, just like I don't like half arsed games in general. 

FiRe1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FiRe1987

Yea but what you mentioned was old games, ive been noticing the trend that seems to be increasing as of late, which is that they keep making alot of sci fi RTS games and less and less other games. Dawn of war 1, 2, Supreme Commander 1,2 , C&C 3, Starcraft 2, red alert 3.. And what notable rts do I remember in the past few years that isnt sci fi, probably company of heroes and thats it.

Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Walincas

Yea but what you mentioned was old games, ive been noticing the trend that seems to be increasing as of late, which is that they keep making alot of sci fi RTS games and less and less other games. Dawn of war 1, 2, Supreme Commander 1,2 , C&C 3, Starcraft 2, red alert 3.. And what notable rts do I remember in the past few years that isnt sci fi, probably company of heroes and thats it.

FiRe1987

Shogun 2 is pretty far from Sci-fi, and it's not only decent, but extremely awesome imo :)

Also check out Crusader king's 2, another more text based RTS games - that's also pretty farking far from Sci-fi (medieval) ;) 

Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Walincas

o yea, SupCom 1 is also very very very good imo :) Supcom II - not so much :/

FiRe1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FiRe1987

Shogun 2 is good yea, alltho its not really an rts but it combines some elements of that aswell.

Crusader King? Thats not even an rts as far as I know, theres no battles ur fighting its more of a managment map based game.

SupCom is sci fi, robots, lazers ..

Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Walincas

Shogun 2 is good yea, alltho its not really an rts but it combines some elements of that aswell.

Crusader King? Thats not even an rts as far as I know, theres no battles ur fighting its more of a managment map based game.

FiRe1987

I know what you mean, CK is actually categorised as a strategy game, but there are no "tactical" battles per say. 

If that's more your thing, i've linked a pretty decent game that combines strategy and tactical gameplay, in real time and within one map - in your other thread :)

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11781 Posts

World in Conflict (get the soviet assault package) 

Wargame European Escalation.  These 2 games are both RTTs  (real time tactical, more so than RTS)

Company of Heroes (has tons of expansions) and a sequel coming out in a couple of months.

JTF (Joint Task Force) on Steam, was actually a fun RTS to play. (modern setting, not sci-fi)

There are plenty of historical ones.

Hope this helps you out.

Also I like Sci-fi strategy games. Just as the ones I mentioned above.

I love Command and Conquer, but that went downhill after the last good one (C&C3, and Kane's Wrath) however I am still interested in C&C '13. 

And Planetary Annihilation. 

That being said there are some Sci-fi rts series that I have no affinity towards like War Hammer (even the fantasy ones) 

Star Craft 2 is ok, but I think its pretty over-rated. I doubt I will be getting Hots until it is super cheap.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
I personally prefer sci fi.
Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

FiRe1987

Classifications for RTS games on PC are really dumb and kind of inaccurate.

We currently have:

Grand Strategy: Referring to games like CK2 or the map part of Total War.
Real Time Strategy: Tactical battles with base building.
Real Time Tactics: Tactical battles with no base building.

It should be:

Real Time Strategy: Games like Crusadar Kings 2 or Hearts of Iron 3 which actually are real time. They're also more in line with the academic definition of strategy which is a large scale approach to a situation at hand whereas tactics are the minute to minute decisions and procedure for accomplishing that goal usually in a smaller space. Warfare is a strategy, figuring out where your base in a region goes and where to put your troops is tactics.
Turn Based Strategy: Total War and Civilization
Real Time Tactics: Tactical battles with base building/no base building - Company of Heroes, Men of War (which you should play if you want a good historical fix, way better than CoH), Starcraft 2, World in Conflict (also a good fairly recent game)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

[QUOTE="FiRe1987"]

Ragingbear505

Classifications for RTS games on PC are really dumb and kind of inaccurate.

We currently have:

Grand Strategy: Referring to games like CK2 or the map part of Total War.
Real Time Strategy: Tactical battles with base building.
Real Time Tactics: Tactical battles with no base building.

It should be:

Real Time Strategy: Games like Crusadar Kings 2 or Hearts of Iron 3 which actually are real time. They're also more in line with the academic definition of strategy which is a large scale approach to a situation at hand whereas tactics are the minute to minute decisions and procedure for accomplishing that goal usually in a smaller space. Warfare is a strategy, figuring out where your base in a region goes and where to put your troops is tactics.
Turn Based Strategy: Total War and Civilization
Real Time Tactics: Tactical battles with base building/no base building - Company of Heroes, Men of War (which you should play if you want a good historical fix, way better than CoH), Starcraft 2, World in Conflict (also a good fairly recent game)

where would 4X strategy fall in?

I always thought that the 4X was kind of unnecessary; despite it's huge size, Sins of a Solar Empire is essentially an RTS.

GreatExarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreatExarch
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I don't know, as far as I've seen, there's a pretty healthy mix of strategy games out there. Sci-fi, fantasy, realistic, all are represented. It may just seem that Sci-fi is more common since those games tend to be more prominent in the community. Strategy games in general aren't all that common these days. They're probably just too niche for some developers, since you don't know how well it's gonna sell against the bigger name competition.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Sci-fi settings allow developers more flexibility in creating game systems and elements that wouldn't make sense in the confines of history. I am the opposite. I don't see the appeal of historical games. If you have to stay faithful to source material, you lose out on creativity.