Reading Linux data on Widows?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for theintrospect79
theintrospect79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#1 theintrospect79
Member since 2004 • 2796 Posts

I recently did a fresh install of Windows XP on an older system that had Linux on it. Before I formatted the drive and installed Windows I backed up som .doc and .jpeg files to a thumb drive. After I get Windows installed and all the drivers updated I tried to tranfer the files I backed up on the thumb drive to Windows, but they would not show up. It shows the folder I created, but it states the folder is empty. I did some troubleshooting research on this issue and discovered that Linux based files are not readable on Windows. Is there any way to get these files to show up?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I recently did a fresh install of Windows XP on an older system that had Linux on it. Before I formatted the drive and installed Windows I backed up som .doc and .jpeg files to a thumb drive. After I get Windows installed and all the drivers updated I tried to tranfer the files I backed up on the thumb drive to Windows, but they would not show up. It shows the folder I created, but it states the folder is empty. I did some troubleshooting research on this issue and discovered that Linux based files are not readable on Windows. Is there any way to get these files to show up?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

theintrospect79

How about downloading a Linux distro and making a Linux Live CD? You can boot temporarily to Linux and access the old Linux files. Windows sucks for reading many file formats.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

i use ext2fs...

however that's if the drive is in ext2/3/4 format, since it was a thumbdrive it was probably fat32 and that wouldn't be issue.

seems like it just didn't copy them

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#4 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
I've read files across different OSs before. Sounds like it just didn't copy them correctly.
emistz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 emistz
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
There's nothing about Linux files that makes them unreadable from windows. It might be that windows doesn't support the filesystem you formatted your usb to, but that's not the case since the folder shows. It sounds like you didn't copy the files as others previously stated.
Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

Use a live cd, you dont have to install linux again to access it.  You just temp boot into linux