Re-activating Windows after motherboard change

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
#1 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (1175 posts) -

OK so, what am I doing wrong? I have Windows 10 Professional, and after I changed the motherboard it says my Windows is not activated. Troubleshooting does nothing, of course. When I log in to my M$ account I see 2 devices with the same name, Desktop-something, one with old hardware and one with new. I tried removing both, now the old one showed up again. BTW I didn't do a clean install, I just swapped the hardware. Is there any way to fix this or should I just buy another key?

#2 Posted by madrocketeer (5693 posts) -

I had a similar problem when I upgraded recently. Ended up taking a support ticket and talking to a tech support rep. After faffling about for about an hour trying various things, they eventually generated a new key for me for free.

That said, I suspect I only got my new key because a) I have a laptop activated to the same account with a legit key, and b) I bought something from the Windows Store. Both of which might have been evidence that I'm not some pirate trying to scam them a free key.

Give it a go anyway.

#3 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (1175 posts) -

Well I didn't buy the key from M$ but from one of those key stores for like €17. And it was legitimate enough for M$ back then. :/

#4 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (1175 posts) -

Well whadya know, they fixed it for me. Thanks for the idea, I never really considered that. It took some time chatting with a bot to get a link for support chat with real people, and then some guy remotely fixed it using command prompt and what not. Now I just gotta wait for my new GPU to arrive and I'm all set. XD