Raptor 10k worth having in RAID or not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 0

#1 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I've been ordering some parts for an upgrade... and I ordered an extra Raptor 150Gb 10 k Rpm hard drive... so I'll have two of them now. Can anyone suggest if I should put the OS (winxp+winvista) on one of them and games for the other? Or would I see any extra benefit in setting both them up in a two hard drive raid 0 strip setup.

My current PC, I have Vista/XP and games on one of my Raptor 10k drives (C,D,E drives). I haven't used RAID for a couple years, when I had it on some ATA133 Maxtor drives, I saw very little performance increase.

Since it would only have games and the operating systems on it, I really couldn't care less if one died and I lost the information on it, since I could just reinstall... so thats not a issue. (I have older drives i'm going to use for bulk storage, like photos/videos and whatever.)

Do the Raptor 10k drives Raid well? Anyone have anything like that setup with good results??

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
If you're talking about RAID-0 specifically, then no its really not worth it. http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=1

Mind you that article is almost 4 years old at this point, but the basic technology has not changed since then, and most of the conclusions that he comes to still hold true. You're not going to see any significant decrease in load times for games or in boot-up. The only real advantage you'll get is that it will simplify things, since you'll only be dealing with essentially one hard-drive.

The only thing that RAID-0 and Raptor drives are good for are for streaming data over high-traffic file servers, for a large company for example. People who need a HDD disc for personal use are better off buying a large capacity, high-density, 7200RPM hard-drive.
Utsusemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Utsusemi
Member since 2006 • 31 Posts

The increase in performance is so small that you will only be able to tell the difference if you are holding a stop watch.

I built a gaming machine with the same specs as my rig for a friend, the only difference was his 150gb RaptorXs in raid 0 configuration and my single 36gb Raptor. I didn't get to test his rig out too much but when we gamed side by side, I can tell he was ashamed at the amount of money he wasted on those raptors. But I wouldn't call it a waste.

On the other hand, he got:
• Bragging rights
• shaved seconds off loading times (and i dont mean 10-15 sec., more like 0.5-2 seconds)
• a little (but still noticeable) more HDD noises
• more heat

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

If you're talking about RAID-0 specifically, then no its really not worth it. http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=1
ProudLarry

Thanks for finding that article, that pretty much answers everything :)