Random crashes to desktop (while playing a game). Need some advice.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts

While playing NFS: Most Wanted, I get occasional crashes to the desktop. No graphical glitches or system hangs or anything like that. It just quits to the desktop and shows a little message saying something like 'program has encountered an error and will now shut down.' I then can immediately reload the game and start playing again. It usually won't crash again after the 1st time. I haven't really ran any other game on my system so it's been kind of hard to pinpoint the problem. Here are my specs:

E6600 | 7800GT | 2x1GB PC800 DDR2 RAM | 500GB HDD w/16MB cache | SB Xfi | Firewire PCI card | 2 DVD Drives | 1 system fan | Ultra 500W PSU | WinVista Home Premium 64-bit

Nothing's overclocked and all the latest drivers and updates have been installed as far as I know.

So what do you guys think? Could it be the game just not being fully compatible and/or has issues with Vista? Or is my PSU not supplying enough power under load?

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Probably Vista
LahiruD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LahiruD
Member since 2006 • 2164 Posts

While playing NFS: Most Wanted, I get occasional crashes to the desktop. No graphical glitches or system hangs or anything like that. It just quits to the desktop and shows a little message saying something like 'program has encountered an error and will now shut down.' I then can immediately reload the game and start playing again. It usually won't crash again after the 1st time. I haven't really ran any other game on my system so it's been kind of hard to pinpoint the problem. Here are my specs:

E6600 | 7800GT | 2x1GB PC800 DDR2 RAM | 500GB HDD w/16MB cache | SB Xfi | Firewire PCI card | 2 DVD Drives | 1 system fan | Ultra 500W PSU | WinVista Home Premium 64-bit

Nothing's overclocked and all the latest drivers and updates have been installed as far as I know.

So what do you guys think? Could it be the game just not being fully compatible and/or has issues with Vista? Or is my PSU not supplying enough power under load?

PikaPichu

I also get that problem when runing NFSMW.

Problem is Vista.

In XP I run it without problems .

harless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 harless
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts

It may be worth backing up your saves, and reinstalling the game.  It's worked for me, but not with your game though.  Vista is a bit buggy yet

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
Oh okay, well that's a relief then. At least I don't have to invest in new hardware. :)
adnan49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 adnan49
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i m facing same problem in windows xp while playinsg nfs most wanted, please help me.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

i m facing same problem in windows xp while playinsg nfs most wanted, please help me.

adnan49

Dont bump a 4yr old thread.