This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by overhead_drums (335 posts) -

Hey all,

On this MOBO http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M4N98TD_EVO/ are all RAM slots the same?

I used to have my RAM in the blue slots, 2 x 4GB each. But i just mounted my radiator to the top and had to move the RAM sticks so they are both in the black ones now. I reset the timing to what i says on the stick's in the bios. Will it all be okay? Im confused why they are different colours.

Cheers

#2 Posted by Barujin (308 posts) -

That's for Dual Channel. If you bought a pack of two RAM cards, then they would go in the same color of slot. Typically, you put a card in the first RAM slot, as printed on the motherboard, so that tells you which color you'll be using.

#3 Posted by overhead_drums (335 posts) -
Cheers Barujin, it wouldn't matter if i jumped the two RAM sticks across would it? so they are both in black instead of both in blue. I cant fit a stick in the first blue one now.
#4 Posted by Barujin (308 posts) -

If it boots and they're in the same color, then you're good. You might be able to make the BIOS do a RAM test, just to be sure.

#5 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -

Hey all,

On this MOBO http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M4N98TD_EVO/ are all RAM slots the same?

I used to have my RAM in the blue slots, 2 x 4GB each. But i just mounted my radiator to the top and had to move the RAM sticks so they are both in the black ones now. I reset the timing to what i says on the stick's in the bios. Will it all be okay? Im confused why they are different colours.

Cheers

overhead_drums
The, ahem, manual for that motherboard says to use the blue slots if you're overclocking. Other than that, you will see no difference using the black slots, instead. They are different colors so that you can do exactly what you have done without mixing them up.
#6 Posted by overhead_drums (335 posts) -
Thanks Blisrtax. So the blue slots are for over clocking? is that for overclocking the RAM specifically or do you have to use the blue slots when overclockings the CPU etc.?
#7 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -
Thanks Blisrtax. So the blue slots are for over clocking? is that for overclocking the RAM specifically or do you have to use the blue slots when overclockings the CPU etc.?overhead_drums
God only knows. It's in Chinglish: "We recommend that you install the memory modules from the blue slots for better overclocking capability." I take that to mean for overclocking the RAM (which I think is stupid because you introduce instability for negligible gain). I could be wrong about that. The manual is here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M4N98TD_EVO/#support_Download_30
#8 Posted by overhead_drums (335 posts) -
Thanks for the link Blistrax, most appreciated. I've used my pc for a while today and the RAM is fine, and according to the Manual I won't have a problem. What's the point in OC'ing RAM? Surely just buy more, it's cheap-ish....
#9 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -
Thanks for the link Blistrax, most appreciated. I've used my pc for a while today and the RAM is fine, and according to the Manual I won't have a problem. What's the point in OC'ing RAM? Surely just buy more, it's cheap-ish....overhead_drums
Overclocking the RAM is different from adding more. Your memory runs with certain timings---it has to wait for one thing to happen before it can do the next thing. If it jumps the gun, it trips over its own feet and you crash. The stick is designed to run with delays that can sometimes be decreased slightly at the risk of instability. It also runs at a certain frequency, You can increase that a bit, too, again likely causing instability. The settings suggested by the manufacturer are those that are sure to provide stable performance. You can try and see if the particular sticks you bought happen to be a little better than that. Tighter memory timings can speed up your machine slightly but noticeably, but I myself just get faster sticks when I want that rather than monkey around with things I would only understand if I had gone to MIT for six years like the guys who designed them. Some people like to overclock as a kind of hobby, and more power to 'em.