"hardrive not detected" means i can't repair my computer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Virtuson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Virtuson
Member since 2004 • 3509 Posts
anywhich way i try to boot my computer i get a brief blue screen and my system shuts down and keeps trying. whenever i try to boot from my XP disc i get a message saying no harddrive is connected, though it obviously is because ive been using my computer just fine for the past year. any suggestions?
WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts
Make sure the hard drive's cables are connected properly. If not, connect them. If so, then it's dead and time for a new one.
Virtuson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Virtuson
i took the panel off and pulled the harddrive out. t don't know what the name is for the thin, metal prong type connection but thats what it was. no loose wires or anything. i slid it back into place and tried again, and the CD Boot still said no harddrive was installed.
hrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 hrah
Member since 2003 • 1375 Posts

IDE
 SATA

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
The harddrive may have died.... You didn't notice clicking noises, before it happened? That's the sign that it's time to get a new HDD, and back up the stuff that you don't want to lose; and to do it quickly.
Virtuson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Virtuson
what exactly is this? my laptop harddrive is just a simple sata connection. no loose cables. how could i possibly backup anything without being able to startup the harddrive??
taylord526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 taylord526
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
Try switching the cables to assure they are not bad. If that doen't work your drive is most likely fried.
Nignarv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nignarv3
Member since 2006 • 30 Posts

I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out. I did this long ago, and it worked. Take your hard drive out, and put it in a ziploc bag, and stick that sucker in the freezer. Yeah I said it, freezer. Take it out after an hour and try it again, and back up what you need to keep onto another drive. I used that trick a couple of times, it worked for me both times. Make sure you put it in a ziploc bag or something similar to prevent condensation. Let me know if it works for you man.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, there is a company called Hard Drive Recovery Group that can repair a physically damaged drive. It's pretty cheap, and if they can't help you, there is no charge. Here is a link if you are interested: http://www.harddriverecovery.org/hard-drive-data-recovery.html

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

I was asking a question. I said that a clicking noise would be a sign.... meaning a prediction... It's too late for that if the HDD has already died.

If the HDD has died, basicly your only choice is to buy a new one, and reinstall everything from the CD's you have..... and forget about whatever was on the old HDD....it's gone. It's gone unless you're willing to pay for software recovery, which won't be cheap, nor quick.