Quick question about my first brand new gaming rig coming in on tuesday

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 supagamer9
Member since 2004 • 1650 Posts

I ordered a seperate video card to go with it, so should i put the new video card into the computer BEFORE the first time turning it on? or should i turn it on first, do everything i need to do for first time set up ,THEN power down, unplug everything and replace the card

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I ordered a seperate video card to go with it, so should i put the new video card into the computer BEFORE the first time turning it on? or should i turn it on first, do everything i need to do for first time set up ,THEN power down, unplug everything and replace the card

supagamer9

the later should be done. your first time setup then add the card. otherwise you may run into complications. id also NOT use the drivers on the cd that comes with the card. use the ones from the amd/nvidia wesbite.. is much better that way and far more up to date and far better preforming.

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

I personally would get the PC running first and make sure everything is ok and then change the card.

The only reason I say that is if you turn on the PC with the card in there and something is wrong it could be the PC you ordered or the separate GPU. If you run the PC and it's all good and when you change the GPU you have a problem you know it's a GPU issue.

my 2 cents

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 supagamer9
Member since 2004 • 1650 Posts
okay thankyou! from the man who recommended the computer himself haha!
Un_Ordinateur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Un_Ordinateur
Member since 2009 • 296 Posts

Depends why you want to turn it on first... If you want to make sure everything is working before you install the videocard, so that if you install it wrong you know exactly what the problem is, then you should power it on first. If you don't care about that, there's no reason to power it on before installing the videocard. Just update the drivers once the videocard is installed.

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts
Turn it on and make sure it works. Then, after you replace the card, if it doesn't work you know it was you :D
PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts

I am rather green in system building, but I am with the other posters except for one little thing that they didn't mention: don't install the drivers for the card that comes with the computer (other than the generics that Windows puts in there for you). If they are different brands, you can run into some problems with conflicting drivers.