Question about moving Steam games between internal and external HDD.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

My question is this, can I download a game from Steam to my laptop, then move the game from the steamapp folder to my external hard drive? Then later when I build a rig, can I simply move that game into the hard drive on my desktop? Bypassing the whole need to redownload it.

EX. Download Super Meat Boy to my laptop. Then move the game folder (the entire thing) from the steamapp/common folder to my external hard drive. Then when I build a computer, move SMB from my external hard drive onto the hard drive in my new computer (obviously into the steamapp/common folder).

I don't want to play it off my external, just keep it there so that I don't have to wait forever to download again.

#2 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -
Just use the backup option in steam, then install it on your new computer, from your external.
#3 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

Just use the backup option in steam, then install it on your new computer, from your external.C_Rule

What's the difference between backing them up through Steam and manually moving the folder?

#4 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Just use the backup option in steam, then install it on your new computer, from your external.EliteM0nk3y

What's the difference between backing them up through Steam and manually moving the folder?

I dunno if Steam will like you doing it that way. Much easier to just create a backup file, and install from it.
#5 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Just use the backup option in steam, then install it on your new computer, from your external.C_Rule

I dunno if Steam will like you doing it that way. Much easier to just create a backup file, and install from it.

I'm just going to try both ways and see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

#6 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

cut and paste your steam folder. Easy as pie.

#7 Posted by mike4realz (2577 posts) -
ya just copy the steamapp folder, it's easier that way...forget bout doing backups, that takes too long
#8 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

ya just copy the steamapp folder, it's easier that way...forget bout doing backups, that takes too longmike4realz

But I want to do it with individual games, not all of them.

And i heard that doing the backups through Steam is spotty in terms of it working so I won't be doing that anyways.

#9 Posted by gameguy6700 (12197 posts) -
I've never had any problems with simply copy and pasting the steamapps folder. You'll have to redownload some files that don't like being transferred, but it's usually only a minute or two of downloading as opposed to hours or days. You also don't have to copy the entire steamapps folder, you can just copy the folders for the games that you want to backup.
#10 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

I've never had any problems with simply copy and pasting the steamapps folder. You'll have to redownload some files that don't like being transferred, but it's usually only a minute or two of downloading as opposed to hours or days. You also don't have to copy the entire steamapps folder, you can just copy the folders for the games that you want to backup.gameguy6700

That's probably what I am going to do (move individual games).

Thanks for all help