Question about monitor contrast ratio.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deejack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deejack
Member since 2006 • 50 Posts

I just bought this monitor and I wanted to know if it is a good buy for the price?

P.S. What is the contrast ratio and what does it do?

deejack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deejack
Member since 2006 • 50 Posts
This monitor is capible of DVI/HDCP so do I have to buy a DVI/HDCP cable or can I use a regular DVI cable?
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
you can use regular DVI with that monitor and its looks alrite nice contrast ratio..
Iceman2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Iceman2005
Member since 2003 • 33 Posts

I bought that monitor not to long ago. It didn't come with a DVI cable so I had to buy one. It's a really nice monitor but I had to return it because it was hurting my eyes more then my CRT monitor. I guess I'm not use to LCD screens or higher resolution then 1024x768.

P.S. How is the monitor? Is it hurting your eyes as well?

gamer150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 gamer150
Member since 2005 • 134 Posts
My LCD monitor does not hurt my eyes nearly as much as my old CRT. Did you adjust the brightness? My LCD hurt my eyes at first until I turned the brightnes down to 30. Since then my eyes have not hurt nearly as much.
Iceman2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Iceman2005
Member since 2003 • 33 Posts

Ya I put the brightness down to around 30 and I also played around with the contrast but even then my eyes and head starts to hurt after like 1 or 2 hours of looking at the monitor. As for my CRT monitor I can look at it all day with the light on or off in my room and it doesn't hurt as much or give me headaches. It's to late to get use to it now cause I don't have it anymore.

Also when looking at my LCD TV it hurts my eyes a bit more then it does with my old tube tv. I guess I have a problem with LCDs which I know I'm not the only one. I'm on my computer EVERYDAY for long hours lol.

mahlerite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mahlerite
Member since 2006 • 543 Posts

that's my current monitor, but i bought mine from best buy for $200 on sale (once i saw the ad, i had to jump on it). i love it by the way. vibrant colors, very fast response time, and great contrast ratio. LG is a reputable brand, too, that offers a 3-year warranty on this product.

i have noticed that this LCD has gone on sale at least two times at a price point of $200 within the past few weeks. also, best buy sells a samsung with the exact same specs for the exact same prices (i.e., either $240 MSRP or $200 on sale). either of those monitors will surely serve you well if you want to game at a resolution of 1440 X 900.

mahlerite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mahlerite
Member since 2006 • 543 Posts

two more notes:

1) i've spent a lot of time gaming on this monitor yet i've experienced no headaches or eye tension.

2) i've heard that when it comes to getting a DVI cable (digital connection), it depends on the luck of the draw. some people have gotten it and others have not. i personally did not get one, only a D-SUB/VGA (analog connection) cable, so i'd bet on NOT getting one bundled if purchasing from best buy. don't let this sway you too much, though, as you can buy a DVI cable cheap at newegg for $10 (see link below).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189047

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts

Generally, I think the higher the contrast ratio, the better.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

Ya I put the brightness down to around 30 and I also played around with the contrast but even then my eyes and head starts to hurt after like 1 or 2 hours of looking at the monitor. As for my CRT monitor I can look at it all day with the light on or off in my room and it doesn't hurt as much or give me headaches. It's to late to get use to it now cause I don't have it anymore.

Also when looking at my LCD TV it hurts my eyes a bit more then it does with my old tube tv. I guess I have a problem with LCDs which I know I'm not the only one. I'm on my computer EVERYDAY for long hours lol.

Iceman2005
I'm not sure what would cause headaches if you've got the monitors at equivalent brightness - LCD's simply don't do the refresh rate thing that CRT monitors cause eye strain and headaches with, since they don't work like that at all. :( The contrast ratio, if you clicked on the BB link on your page, is sort of explained - the difference between light and dark your monitor is capable of displaying. You can try to adjust the contrast and just turn it all the way down to get an idea what happens with low contrast. Most manufacturers lie about it to some extent... BB's mentioning 'high ratios like 400:1' is kinda lol now that everybody's trying to say theirs do 2000:1 or something. :D Most LCD's are around 700:1 in normal usage when measured.