Quak 4 graphics mods how do I install???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1645 Posts

I have found this wonderfull looking Quake 4 Mod Parallax Extreme (1.2) from http://quake4.filefront.com/file/Parallax_Extreme;82524

However could someone tell me how the heck do i install it???

Thanks

-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts
I just downloaded it and am wondering the same thing.
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bond007uk

According to some of the other mods you download it and unzip the folder into the Qbase folder (or somthing like that) and it will work. Only thing is it DOESN'T work, my Quake 4 looks the same as it did before. Also after copying over the files my man will no longer always run and it keeps defaulting to 640x480!

Anyone help?

-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts

According to some of the other mods you download it and unzip the folder into the Qbase folder (or somthing like that) and it will work. Only thing is it DOESN'T work, my Quake 4 looks the same as it did before. Also after copying over the files my man will no longer always run and it keeps defaulting to 640x480!

Anyone help?

Bond007uk

I tried that too and Quake 4 wouldn't even start. I had to re-install.

wintermute_26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wintermute_26
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Couldn't find any answers either (why do mod-makers always assume that everyone who might want to use it is a programmer too?), so trial and error eventually got me to...

1. Extract the zip to desktop.

2. Open "parallax_extreme_Q4" folder and copy contents.

3. Find your Quake 4 install directory (mine is G:\Program Files\id Software\Quake 4) and open up "q4base" folder.

4. Paste all the stuff you copied into it.

5. That's it.

Launch Quake 4 from your usual shortcut - you will know straight away if it has worked because the brightness and colour on the splash screen will be different. You may have to monkey about with your control options, as mouse speed is reset to slooow, walk is set to default (Shift to run), and the flashlight is mapped oddly.

Looks well nice though, and I'm getting a good framerate on Ultra graphics settings with an AMD64 3200+ single core, 2GB DDR 3200 and a stock 8600GTS.

Best of all, savegames are untouched.

Hope this works for you.

wintermute_26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wintermute_26
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
p.s. you do need to be running a shader model 3 card with the lates drivers and a patched copy of Quake 4.
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bond007uk
Thanks wintermute_26 I'll take another look at it. I have a AMD64 4200+ Dual core and a 8800GTS.
dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts

Couldn't find any answers either (why do mod-makers always assume that everyone who might want to use it is a programmer too?), so trial and error eventually got me to...

1. Extract the zip to desktop.

2. Open "parallax_extreme_Q4" folder and copy contents.

3. Find your Quake 4 install directory (mine is G:\Program Files\id Software\Quake 4) and open up "q4base" folder.

4. Paste all the stuff you copied into it.

5. That's it.

Launch Quake 4 from your usual shortcut - you will know straight away if it has worked because the brightness and colour on the splash screen will be different. You may have to monkey about with your control options, as mouse speed is reset to slooow, walk is set to default (Shift to run), and the flashlight is mapped oddly.

Looks well nice though, and I'm getting a good framerate on Ultra graphics settings with an AMD64 3200+ single core, 2GB DDR 3200 and a stock 8600GTS.

Best of all, savegames are untouched.

Hope this works for you.

wintermute_26

Thanks for the info.

m_j_skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 m_j_skin
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts
looks great but no ideas on the playing it part lol
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bond007uk

I don't understand it, I still can't get it to work! My graphics are still the same as they were before! I have installed the Mod into the directory discribed on here (in fact I installed it correctly in the first place).

Its loaded it as the graphics resolution has changed to 1024x768 and the movement keys have changed, plus thegame isbrighter thanbefore, but no change in graphics. I have checked that my copy of Quake 4 is upto date and it is. I can only assume that that it might be something to do with my graphics driver as I have a 8800 series card. I tried changing the settings in the Nvidia control panel to 'High Quality' but it made no difference.

Can anyone help me please?

Dafama2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dafama2k7
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Hello, i am David F.M. (Dafama2k7), the author of the mod...

How to install Parallax Extreme v1.2 for Q4...:

Copy the mod's folder into Quake IV folder (NOT Q4Base) and select it from the mods menu in game.

Remember that v1.2 or lower needs Shaders v3.0 and up so most ATI gfx cards won't be able to use it.

NEW v1.3 comming soon addresses this, are faster and compatible with both ATI & NVidia gfx cards and Shaders v2.0 and up.

Make sure that the Autoexec.cfg file contains this...:

image_usePreCompressedTextures "0"
image_useCompression "0"

To make sure you are using Parallax features open the console and do this...:

image_usePreCompressedTextures "0"
image_useCompression "0"

set fs_game parallax_extreme_q4

reloadEngine

Wait a little and will run now, enjoy ! :)

Also a NEW much better v1.3 Parallax Extreme will come shortly, this time compatible with both ATI & NVidia gfx cards !!!

I am uploading it now...

Dafama2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dafama2k7

Be the first to get it, now compatible with both ATI & NVidia gfx cards.

Description: Parallax Extreme Q4 v1.3 !
You can use the following link to retrieve your file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kzyjh4

8)

Dafama2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dafama2k7

I have removed the previous link, try this...

Description: Parallax Extreme Q4 v1.3 ! (bug fixed)
You can use the following link to retrieve your file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7sff2j

Also i want to remember that with the KeyPad keys + slash or star keys a better mode for NVidia owners can be toggled on & off !

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bond007uk

Still have problems running the mod. I can now choose the mod from the main menu but when I run it, it looks the same as i did before but brighter, the characters still do not have any reflections on their armour. When I attempt to add them using the console commands, I get a few Can not write to Quak4.cfg errors! It won't work for me.

Plus there are some very annoying things in this mod, the resolution is set to 1024x768 and I can't see a way tochange it, or enable EAX 4.0

Please help.