Q: Potential Motherboard issue in new build

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Masenkoe (4897 posts) -

What's up GameSpot? I left the forums back before the change occurred so it's been a while.
Anyways, this community has always proven to be the most helpful in the past so I thought I'd ask here.

I just built a new workstation computer for my dad but I think the mobo is DOA.
Got everything hooked up and low and behold nothing would turn on. So my first thought was that it may be the case. So I pulled the cable for the power button and shorted the connection myself, still nothing.

So I then took out the power supply and ran it on its own (paperclip trick) and it appears to be fine, my volt meter also says it is putting out power.

So this leads me to believe it is the motherboard. Any thoughts before I deal with an RMA? I'm going to reconnect everything one more time just to be sure but I build computers quite often and I know it was wired correctly.

Specs:

AMD A-10 5800K
Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1600
PNY 120GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
Gigabyte Hercules X - 380W
Rosewill Redbone Case
LG Blu-ray Writer

#2 Posted by GTR12 (12490 posts) -

I'm just gonna guess you already tried leaving mobo out of the case and trying?

#3 Posted by Masenkoe (4897 posts) -

Well I haven't done *that* yet, but I could. Not sure what that would really change

#4 Posted by PredatorRules (11898 posts) -

@Masenkoe said:

What's up GameSpot? I left the forums back before the change occurred so it's been a while.

Anyways, this community has always proven to be the most helpful in the past so I thought I'd ask here.

I just built a new workstation computer for my dad but I think the mobo is DOA.

Got everything hooked up and low and behold nothing would turn on. So my first thought was that it may be the case. So I pulled the cable for the power button and shorted the connection myself, still nothing.

So I then took out the power supply and ran it on its own (paperclip trick) and it appears to be fine, my volt meter also says it is putting out power.

So this leads me to believe it is the motherboard. Any thoughts before I deal with an RMA? I'm going to reconnect everything one more time just to be sure but I build computers quite often and I know it was wired correctly.

Specs:

AMD A-10 5800K

Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H

G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1600

PNY 120GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Gigabyte Hercules X - 380W

Rosewill Redbone Case

LG Blu-ray Writer

If everything connected properly and your PSU isn't old then I'd RMA that MOBO

#5 Posted by GTR12 (12490 posts) -

@Masenkoe said:

Well I haven't done *that* yet, but I could. Not sure what that would really change

Because the case itself can short out a mobo, I had it happen once with a Antec Sonata case awhile back, one of the stand-offs was bad basically, causing it to short out, after I got a new stand-off, mobo was great.