Purchasing a new graphics card.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -
I would like to get this card, http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Customer-reviews-for-EVGA-e-GeForce-7600-GT-Graphics-Card-256P2N553DX/sem/rpsm/oid/147048/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs
because I don't want to buy a really expensive card like the 8800 GTX, because I might be getting a pretty good pc with vista and such in the next few years. It says PCI-express interface on it, which I don't think I have, and I don't fully understand PCI-express. Could someone explain this to me?
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
#2 Posted by DeeJayInphinity (13415 posts) -
Your link goes to a forum.. PCI-express is a type of slot, there's also PCI and AGP. If you tell us which video card you have right now, we might be able to figure out which one you have. Otherwise, I believe there are a few apps that can tell you or you can open up your pc and check it out for yourself, it's not hard to tell the difference between the slots.
#3 Posted by BeavermanA (2652 posts) -
PCI-Express is the latest graphics interface. Before that it was AGP of various speeds and before that just regular PCI. Chances are if your pc is more than a couple years old you're on AGP, and therefore would not be able to buy a PCI-E card without first getting a new motherboard at the least to support it.
#4 Posted by supergamer1289 (2825 posts) -
PCI - express is a kind of graphics card. Some graphics cards are pci and some are not. PCI -e is new and will be able to update to new graphics cards. Ummm, what exactically is that link. I reccomend the 7600 GT as a graphics card.
#5 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -
Ok, thanks guys. I fixed the link. So, if I don't have a PCI-E slot in my PC then I have to get a card that works on PCI?
#6 Posted by supergamer1289 (2825 posts) -
That is a very good graphics card for the price. Dont buy it there though. You will find better deals here: newegg.com You need to find out what slot you have. What is your current graphics card?
#7 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -
[QUOTE="supergamer1289"]That is a very good graphics card for the price. Dont buy it there though. You will find better deals here: newegg.com You need to find out what slot you have. What is your current graphics card?

Ok, I'll still be getting it at Circuit City, because I have a gift card and stuff. But I just have the standard  card that came in my PC the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphics (Yes I know this is a horrible card).
#8 Posted by BeavermanA (2652 posts) -
Ok, thanks guys. I fixed the link. So, if I don't have a PCI-E slot in my PC then I have to get a card that works on PCI?dackchaar
Right click on the desktop, go to properties and the settings tab. Click on advanced and then go to your graphics card tab. Somewhere in there, most likely on the general overview tab it'll say your bus type. Could be PCI Express 16x, AGP 8x, 4x or just AGP, or it'll just say PCI I think, don't even know if I ever had a PCI gfx card or they were just onboard.
#9 Posted by BeavermanA (2652 posts) -
Geforce 4 is going to be AGP, can't get a PCI-E card.
#10 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -
Geforce 4 is going to be AGP, can't get a PCI-E card. BeavermanA

Dang, is there a way to get a PCI-E slot without purchasing a new computer? Or do I have t stick with AGP until I can afford a new PC?
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
#11 Posted by DeeJayInphinity (13415 posts) -
The only way to get a PCI-E slot is to either get a new motherboard or get a new computer. If your computer is really outdated, (i'm guessing it is) then I suggest just buying a whole new computer.
#12 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -
The only way to get a PCI-E slot is to either get a new motherboard or get a new computer. If your computer is really outdated, (i'm guessing it is) then I suggest just buying a whole new computer.DeeJayInphinity

Yeah it is, thanks for your help.
#13 Posted by supergamer1289 (2825 posts) -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150210 That is the AGP verion of the card.
#14 Posted by BeavermanA (2652 posts) -
Well you can get a new motherboard to support it, but then it would also have to support your old CPU as well, P4 socket 478 I'm guessing. That would definitely not be worth it, may have to get a new power supply as well because today's cards are very hungry. Your best bet is probably just getting a newer AGP card unless you want to buy a new pc, again you'll have to make sure you have enough power for that as well. Think your MX may only be AGP 4x as well, and your mobo may not support 8x either so getting a new 8x card would work still I think, but it would be pretty pointless on 4x.