PUBG, Battlegrounds... how is this # 1 Steam game??

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

currently this is the number one seller on steam... how is this possible if it is clear this game is infested with so many bad reviews citing team killing from hordes of cheating Chinese kids in internet cafes that are also unhittable due to ping, and rather go on NA servers.

I haven't bought it yet due to the bad reviews, yet it is the best selling game despite all the crap?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17765 Posts

It is a good game, but the hype for it is out of control. It is the latest pop culture phenomenon.

HighPryority

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By HighPryority
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

Coming from Australia I haven't had any problems with the game at all. The game is competitive and realistic and if you haven't played a battle royal style game I would say its a great place to start. I think that this is probably why its the most popular.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@highpryority: I haven't had a problem with it at all either, probably because 1) I have a good PC and 2) Whenever I die or miss a shot it's because I suck, not because of hackers.

HighPryority

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HighPryority
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

@mordant221: Couldn't agree more the only problem I have is a PBKAC problem ;)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@multiplat said:

currently this is the number one seller on steam... how is this possible if it is clear this game is infested with so many bad reviews citing team killing from hordes of cheating Chinese kids in internet cafes that are also unhittable due to ping, and rather go on NA servers.

I haven't bought it yet due to the bad reviews, yet it is the best selling game despite all the crap?

"if it is clear this game is infested with so many bad reviews citing team killing from hordes of cheating Chinese kids in internet cafes that are also unhittable due to ping, and rather go on NA servers"

"I haven't bought it yet"

So how do you know it's true?

Sure there are cheaters sometimes, but what online shooter doesn't have cheaters?

Game is heaps fun, especially with friends. Give it a go.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By multiplat

@FelipeInside: I read steam player reviews b4 i bite on any game. unless u are saying its all some bs reviewers.... go read them... the SHEER AMOUNT of steam users who complained about this problem is what is postponing me to buy the game. unless, u guys are saying it is not a problem anymore. In other words, other online shooters on steam dont get this amount of shade.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@multiplat said:

@FelipeInside: I read steam player reviews b4 i bite on any game. unless u are saying its all some bs reviewers.... go read them... the SHEER AMOUNT of steam users who complained about this problem is what is postponing me to buy the game. unless, u guys are saying it is not a problem anymore. In other words, other online shooters on steam dont get this amount of shade.

Not gonna lie, there are cheaters present but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Most of the time when someone says they were killed by a cheater it was because of a glitch or because they weren't taking as much as cover as they thought they were.

Now with the 1.0 release, it actually comes with a kill-cam and report function so you can clearly tell on every kill what happened.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

It's the most fun and most fresh-feeling multiplayer shooter experience out there at the moment.

Too bad it's made by an incompetent studio. I respect Bluehole's efforts and all, but it should be downright illegal to release a mess like that as 1.0. We just gonna have to wait for a similar title by a more experienced triple-A studio. There's shit-tons of things that could be added and/or to be done better. PUBG is like the first bare-bones version of the "battle royale" genre (i know it's not the first, but first to popularize the genre).

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

The masses dictate what is good and they love this game. that is why it is number 1. it is a great game that is cheap to buy and has endless replayability.

Shawcross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Shawcross
Member since 2007 • 1277 Posts

It's 30 bucks and has endless replay-ability. Sure it isn't super optimized but even playing on low settings makes the game enjoyable.

Now the cheating is a serious problem. Before I had to stop playing cause I moved and put my rig in storage for the time being, I was getting killed by a cheater every few battles. It got bad enough where it was becoming cheaters vs cheaters often. To put the cheating into perspective, PUBG has sold 20+ million copies. Battleye has permanently panned 1.5M accounts on PC so far. The sheer volume of permabanned accounts compared to total copies sold is mind boggling. I think as the game is out longer their anti-cheat will get better at detecting injection hacks. Or they will do the lockdown method which is more intrusive on your PC and annoys gamers but would cut the cheats down considerably.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#12 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I haven't run into as many cheaters as some people but I certainly have seen a few in about 250 hours of play. It likely has to do with the fact that when I usually play the game, most people in China are sleeping.

I think one motivators is the steam market/crate economy where there is a financial incentive to do well and kill and lot of people/win.

So I honestly think Bluehole could deal with a lot of the cheating problems by simply removing the ability to buy and sell items on the steam market place, though this would hurt their income so they almost certainly wont do it.

Other than that, they just need to sort out the netcode and lag issues. The game is in pretty good shape otherwise.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 multiplat

@Enragedhydra said:

Just a thought, it is number one because lots of people like it

omg, ok literal nazi.... here maybe i will rephrase the question.

"OUT OF THE TOP 10 SELLING STEAM GAMES, WHY IS THIS GAME THE ONLY ONE TO GET 45-53% PERCENT POSITIVE REVIEWS (BOTH RECENT REVIEWS AND ALL TIME), WHEREAS THE OTHER 9 GOT CONSENSUS POSITIVE REVIEWS?

felip and shaw actually help answer this question, for someone who is unfamiliar with this game, would be confused. anyways, it's good to see the cheating now being mitigated.