PSO2 Coming to NA in January, EU in February

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hsk_Dark_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hsk_Dark_Link
Member since 2006 • 55 Posts

Is anyone else as excited for this game as I am???!!! Definitely going Cast Hunter for this game, looks too awesome to pass up :D

Best of all, it's free-to-play!!!

halo2_4_pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 halo2_4_pc
Member since 2005 • 1561 Posts

Been playing on the Japanese servers w/ the English patch since launch, definitely one of the best F2P games and a great game in general. I will admit it can get a bit too grind heavy though.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D that reminds me, i still have to beat phantasy star zero... stupid final boss >.> if the missions didn't take almost 2 hours, i'd be able to grind more easily, while in college, but noooooooooooo.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Isn't it pretty old already? And hm, I prefer the offline games of Phantasy Star.

All I need for Online Play is Guild Wars 2 :D

Hsk_Dark_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hsk_Dark_Link

Been playing on the Japanese servers w/ the English patch since launch, definitely one of the best F2P games and a great game in general. I will admit it can get a bit too grind heavy though.

halo2_4_pc

Awesome to hear! I was hoping they'd get rid of the grind a little considering PSO 1 was a huge grind-fest...but it'll be worth it when my Cast is ballin' with amazing gear!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BrunoBRS

halo2_4_pc
do tell how you get to play it.
halo2_4_pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 halo2_4_pc
Member since 2005 • 1561 Posts

[QUOTE="halo2_4_pc"]

Hsk_Dark_Link

Awesome to hear! I was hoping they'd get rid of the grind a little considering PSO 1 was a huge grind-fest...but it'll be worth it when my Cast is ballin' with amazing gear!

Definitely still quite a bit of grinding. And if you're interested in trying out the game now, these can help you get started:

http://kotaku.com/5928484/cant-wait-for-phantasy-star-online-2-heres-how-to-play-the-japanese-version

http://psumods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=206 (English Patch)

You can also look around on the PSO2 Lounge board on psumods.co.uk for automatic patchers for the english patch.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Hsk_Dark_Link"]

[QUOTE="halo2_4_pc"]

halo2_4_pc

Definitely still quite a bit of grinding. And if you're interested in trying out the game now, these can help you get started:

http://kotaku.com/5928484/cant-wait-for-phantasy-star-online-2-heres-how-to-play-the-japanese-version

You can also look around on the PSO2 Lounge board on psumods.co.uk for automatic patchers for the english patch.

thanks a lot :D now waiting for the download to finish, already got the account set up.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
Sounds good, count me in :)
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="Hsk_Dark_Link"]

[QUOTE="halo2_4_pc"]

halo2_4_pc

thanks for the links..i had no idea there was an english patch for it
Hsk_Dark_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hsk_Dark_Link

[QUOTE="Hsk_Dark_Link"]

[QUOTE="halo2_4_pc"]

halo2_4_pc

Awesome! Definitely going to check this out this weekend. I've been watching gameplay videos on youtube and it looks so good

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
I don't mind if the NA, EU versions of the game get patches later, I like the way Asian MMOs get streamlined for NA :D
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

PSO2 was fun for a little bit but I lost interest later in the game.

I liked PSU more.

PSO2 is free to play so they sell all the good stuff in the cash shop.

Also after the Japanese beta they made it so you have to pay money to get a room and also to sell stuff.

One of my characters I messed around with.

pso214.jpg

pso215.jpg

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Hsk_Dark_Link"]

[QUOTE="halo2_4_pc"]

halo2_4_pc

D: i keep having issues launching the game (an updater.exe error that i obviously can't read), furthest i got was a black screen, then an error message that closed it. i think it might have to do with the fact that i added the translation patch before the initial update, so i'm reinstalling and going through the patch again.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Out of curiosity I've begun downloading this game. For those of you who are veterans to the Phantasy Star experience, any idea on what to expect?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrunoBRS

Out of curiosity I've begun downloading this game. For those of you who are veterans to the Phantasy Star experience, any idea on what to expect?

MLBknights58
grind, space elves, tough bosses, cool weapons.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

BrunoBRS

Welp, good enough for me I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

BrunoBRS

Needs more space dwarves and space hobbits!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS

fixed my problems, i needed to fix some permission stuff, now the game's working :D

my mini preview:

the english translation patch does barely enough to make it playable. 99% of the game is still in japanese, but that 1% really helps. being a PSO veteran and having such an icon-focused UI helps too.

as for the game itself, it's the good ol' space grind. but i like the changes to the combat system. some weapons let you block, while gunblades, for example, have a fire mode and a slash mode, that you toggle with shift (which you also use to block, and presumably use other secondary features). PAs are mapped to right mouse button, and you can customize a chain of up to 3 PAs related to the same weapon, if you have enough mana for a full chain, that is.

sadly, the game didn't explain to me (or rather i don't know japanese to know what was told me) why i should go with the traditional timed button presses to chain my standard attacks, when holding the attack button does the same (although without shiny silver sparkles and fwooshing noises coming out of you). there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in damage, maybe i'm just too low level?

last but not least, the dodging mechanic is back, and you use it by double tapping the direction you want to dodge. i was surprised at how effective this was on an early mission, where i had to kill some boulder-throwing apes.

sound is typical phantasy star. epic space music, familiar chimes, etc. visually... it's a japanese MMO for the PC, and it's not by square enix.

OH YEAH, forgot to say, you can equip 3 weapons at a time, then switch between them on the fly. my human hunter started with a sword and gunblade, and then dropped some dagger things that kinda work like kratos' swords. NOTE: i do not know, and actually doubt, that this weapon replaces traditional daggers.

and pics because the screenshot thread disappeared:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1341/pso22012100521462760.png

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6143/pso22012100522070425.png

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4748/pso22012100521591707.png

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7482/pso22012100522434256.png

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
I loved PSO would like another game like it that isn't pay 2 win.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MLBknights58

So 99% of game stilll in japanese? how is it even possible to play then?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BrunoBRS

So 99% of game stilll in japanese? how is it even possible to play then?

MLBknights58
well, there are fan guides to help through the japanese parts, but most of the controls and stuff are intuitive. the menus are mostly translated, though item names and some babble filler text aren't. PSO's structure is also streamlined enough to make it easy to go around. you have a hub city with everything you need, you pick a mission from the counter, head into the teleporter, go to the zone, do the mission, teleport back, repeat. it's a simple system, but for some reason, it's very enjoyable. so unless you're going to play for the story (which you shouldn't be in the first place), you'll have a fun grindy game with a simple but decent, challenging combat.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MLBknights58

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I see on the website that Ship 2 is where most of the english speakers reside? Have any of you managed to party up and do missions or is it more of a solo experience?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I see on the website that Ship 2 is where most of the english speakers reside? Have any of you managed to party up and do missions or is it more of a solo experience?

MLBknights58
i'm on ship 2 just in case, and i've only done one mission after the tutorials, but i wasn't planning on grouping up. saw a few guys with gibberish names like asdf lying around in the lobby, and some players away, but it didn't look like a very active place :P but i'm used to playing PSO offline anyway, so i don't really care.