PS4 and Xbone launching this year: Upgrade PC or Wait?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Peanutbutterz (219 posts) -

I wanted you guys' opinions on whether or not this year would be a good time to upgrade. I've heard different opinions about it's generally not a good time to upgrade during a console launch year. If true, I'm wanting to know the logic behind it. I'm wanting to upgrade my PC this year, but I might wait until next year if I could potentially benefit from it. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Tabris91 (7779 posts) -

What are your current specs?

#3 Posted by gp19 (4252 posts) -

Now is a good time. Haswell and Nvidia's GTX 7xx series came out some weeks ago.

Don't worry too much about consoles, the hardware for both the PS4 and XboxOne is based on an AMD 8-core processor (a little inferior to the i7 3770 without "k" in terms of benchmarks, but otherwise obliterated game-wise), and a GPU cross between AMD's 7850 and 7870 2GB DDR5.

With a relatively low budget you can build a PC that kills next-gen consoles and will handle next-gen games really well.

#4 Posted by commander (14095 posts) -

I wanted you guys' opinions on whether or not this year would be a good time to upgrade. I've heard different opinions about it's generally not a good time to upgrade during a console launch year. If true, I'm wanting to know the logic behind it. I'm wanting to upgrade my PC this year, but I might wait until next year if I could potentially benefit from it. What do you guys think?

Peanutbutterz
All depends what you want and what you have, what do you have now?
#5 Posted by Peanutbutterz (219 posts) -

Postmortem123

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and GPU and add more RAM. Right now  I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116406 and a sapphire 6850.

#6 Posted by slipknot0129 (5832 posts) -

Better to wait for Maxwell. A Gtx 680 will have a hard time maxing out native next-gen games.

#7 Posted by slipknot0129 (5832 posts) -

Now is a good time. Haswell and Nvidia's GTX 7xx series came out some weeks ago.

Don't worry too much about consoles, the hardware for both the PS4 and XboxOne is based on an AMD 8-core processor (a little inferior to the i7 3770 without "k" in terms of benchmarks, but otherwise obliterated game-wise), and a GPU cross between AMD's 7850 and 7870 2GB DDR5.

With a relatively low budget you can build a PC that kills next-gen consoles and will handle next-gen games really well.

gp19

On medium settings.

#8 Posted by DevilMightCry (3554 posts) -

Better to wait for Maxwell. A Gtx 680 will have a hard time maxing out native next-gen games.

slipknot0129
Really? How so? Most games on PS4 and Xbone will run on 720 at 60fp/s or 1080p on 30fp/s. An OC 680 will have no problem matching anything that PS4 and Xbone will put out at 180p at 60fp/s. Graphic fidelity and sharpness will still be better on PC.
#9 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

slipknot0129

The PC in my sig was bought about 12 months ago.....my gtx 670 was over $400 when I got it....you're telling me that it won't at least match next gen consoles? :(

#10 Posted by commander (14095 posts) -

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

BSC14

The PC in my sig was bought about 12 months ago.....my gtx 670 was over $400 when I got it....you're telling me that it won't at least match next gen consoles? :(

Hard to say, this time the consoles are on the x86 architecture, which is the same as pc and they didn't choose top of the line stuff either. Will the tweaks, the unified platform and specific designed os make the next gen consoles better than your system. Probably not the first years, especially not since it's the same architecture as the pc. Your cpu and gpu are superior, not much but still. The amount of threads (8) in next gen consoles could become a problem, but that we can't say for sure, the gpu will be fine , especially in the first years.

#12 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

Well, I hope I'll be good for a little while anyway. Maybe upgrade in about a 8 months or so...

#13 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

Peanutbutterz

If your computer plays games the way you want, do not upgrade, otherwise do upgrade.

#14 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -

Well, I hope I'll be good for a little while anyway. Maybe upgrade in about a 8 months or so...

BSC14
I wouldnt worry about it until the games require 3+gb of actual usage. These upcoming console are using a low clock low performing 8 core AMD cpu along with a 1.2 TFLOP (X1) and a 1.86 TFLOP (PS4) Your GTX 670 will outperform these consoles with ease.
#15 Posted by slipknot0129 (5832 posts) -

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

DevilMightCry

Really? How so? Most games on PS4 and Xbone will run on 720 at 60fp/s or 1080p on 30fp/s. An OC 680 will have no problem matching anything that PS4 and Xbone will put out at 180p at 60fp/s. Graphic fidelity and sharpness will still be better on PC.

When the next-gen consoles come out the games will start requiring better specs. I doubt a Gtx 680 would play any real next-gen games on max settings. It cant even max Crysis 3 and games will be much better looking than Crysis 3 in this coming up gen. A Gtx 680 is better than the Xbox One but you would be playing with the settings cranked down. I think Maxwell is what people should buy if they want a next-gen gaming pc. With Kepler you wont get the full experience of next-gen pc gaming.

The cpu should be fine as long as its a i5 or i7.

#16 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

slipknot0129

When the next-gen consoles come out the games will start requiring better specs. I doubt a Gtx 680 would play any real next-gen games on max settings. It cant even max Crysis 3 and games will be much better looking than Crysis 3 in this coming up gen. A Gtx 680 is better than the Xbox One but you would be playing with the settings cranked down. I think Maxwell is what people should buy if they want a next-gen gaming pc. With Kepler you wont get the full experience of next-gen pc gaming.

O good grief stop posting nonsense.
#17 Posted by darksusperia (6945 posts) -
[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] Really? How so? Most games on PS4 and Xbone will run on 720 at 60fp/s or 1080p on 30fp/s. An OC 680 will have no problem matching anything that PS4 and Xbone will put out at 180p at 60fp/s. Graphic fidelity and sharpness will still be better on PC. 04dcarraher

#18 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]When the next-gen consoles come out the games will start requiring better specs. I doubt a Gtx 680 would play any real next-gen games on max settings. It cant even max Crysis 3 and games will be much better looking than Crysis 3 in this coming up gen. A Gtx 680 is better than the Xbox One but you would be playing with the settings cranked down. I think Maxwell is what people should buy if they want a next-gen gaming pc. With Kepler you wont get the full experience of next-gen pc gaming.

darksusperia

giorgio-tsoukalos_zps2321b2c0.jpg

#19 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8195 posts) -

Xbox-One-Called-Xbone-Probably-A-Less-Te

Well if your pc is still good than you go grab a ps4 and wait for next yr's gpu/cpu.

Oh yeah gddr5 8gb, is supercharged with 16x the power of ps3 :cool:

#20 Posted by Zaral_1 (186 posts) -
next gen consoles GPU is about around a Radeon 7850. a 670 GTX will blow it away you will be fine. People say Max settings, when max settings is 2560x1600 resolution with every single 8xAA algorithm running. At this resolution and resolutions beyond AA isn't as efficient and increases in computation power at higher resolutions. Which is why the titan can't max everything. It's not something i would worry about
#21 Posted by Peanutbutterz (219 posts) -

Right now, I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU to a 3770, getting new RAM, and next year I'm going to get a maxwell GPU.

#23 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -
I would check what cpu your motherboard can support and get an i5 *if able*
#24 Posted by Peanutbutterz (219 posts) -

I would check what cpu your motherboard can support and get an i5 *if able*04dcarraher

I have an ASRock H61 Micro ATX Mobo. It's an LGA 1155, so I will be able to get an i5/i7, which I'm planning on doing at this point. Like I said in my above post, I'm just going to wait on the GPU at this point for the maxwell series.

#26 Posted by slipknot0129 (5832 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]I would check what cpu your motherboard can support and get an i5 *if able*Peanutbutterz

I have an ASRock H61 Micro ATX Mobo. It's an LGA 1155, so I will be able to get an i5/i7, which I'm planning on doing at this point. Like I said in my above post, I'm just going to wait on the GPU at this point for the maxwell series.

Thats the best solution. Maxwell will deliver a true next-gen experience. Unreal engine 4 will be amazing on Maxwell gpu's. The memory on Maxwell will be better, so you will know you can have much better AA on. New and better AA methods always come out too.

#28 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]I would check what cpu your motherboard can support and get an i5 *if able*Peanutbutterz

You would better off getting a good quad core over getting a new gpu, if your funds are tight. Modern games like Crysis 3 BF3/4, Metro etc really need a quad core or better to have any good performance That low end dual core you have now is the major thing holding you back more so then that 6850
#29 Posted by Peanutbutterz (219 posts) -

[QUOTE="Peanutbutterz"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]I would check what cpu your motherboard can support and get an i5 *if able*04dcarraher

You would better off getting a good quad core over getting a new gpu, if your funds are tight. Modern games like Crysis 3 BF3/4, Metro etc really need a quad core or better to have any good performance That low end dual core you have now is the major thing holding you back more so then that 6850

So I have another question: Do you guys think it would be a good idea to go ahead and upgrade my mobo as well? I'm thinking about going ahead and getting a haswell along with a new mobo.

#30 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Peanutbutterz"]

Peanutbutterz

So I have another question: Do you guys think it would be a good idea to go ahead and upgrade my mobo as well? I'm thinking about going ahead and getting a haswell along with a new mobo.

The difference between LGA 1155 and 1150 ie ivy vs haswell is so small you cant tell them apart, so if you can upgrade your cpu without needing a new mobo thats great , if want to upgrade everything thats fine.
#31 Posted by Peanutbutterz (219 posts) -

[QUOTE="Peanutbutterz"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] You would better off getting a good quad core over getting a new gpu, if your funds are tight. Modern games like Crysis 3 BF3/4, Metro etc really need a quad core or better to have any good performance That low end dual core you have now is the major thing holding you back more so then that 685004dcarraher

The difference between LGA 1155 and 1150 ie ivy vs haswell is so small you cant tell them apart, so if you can upgrade your cpu without needing a new mobo thats great , if want to upgrade everything thats fine.

My mobo can only hold up to 2 sticks of RAM, so that's why I'm thinking about going ahead and upgrading the mobo to "future proof" it a little bit. I can upgrade without getting a new mobo; I'm just trying to think about the future a little bit more. I don't even know if the RAM issue is a good enough reason to upgrade my mobo though.

#32 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -

Peanutbutterz

My mobo can only hold up to 2 sticks of RAM, so that's why I'm thinking about going ahead and upgrading the mobo to "future proof" it a little bit. I can upgrade without getting a new mobo; I'm just trying to think about the future a little bit more. I don't even know if the RAM issue is a good enough reason to upgrade my mobo though.

You can get 4gb and 8gb sticks, memory wont be an issue
#33 Posted by zekere (2531 posts) -

I just bought a new PC, the intel third generation and geforce 6** series has dropped greatly in price. And lol at people who think a GTX680 won't match next gen consoles.

#34 Posted by slipknot0129 (5832 posts) -

I just bought a new PC, the intel third generation and geforce 6** series has dropped greatly in price. And lol at people who think a GTX680 won't match next gen consoles.

zekere

It really wont.

#35 Posted by ronvalencia (25410 posts) -

slipknot0129
Better wait for AMD Volcanic Islands or AMD Pirate islands.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#36 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6676 posts) -

how do your games perform now?  They should be running pretty decent, as that cpu is still an ivy bridge processor even if its a pentium dual core.  Only a few games truly take advantage of a quad core right now, and isn't worth upgrading.  One thing I think you should have done before was get a good z77 mobo instead of the h61.  That way you would have been able to easily upgrade to a quad core without buying a new mobo and all.  The 6850 might be holding you back, maybe get a new gpu and see how things go.  You should see a big boost.

#37 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -
I don't exactly need to upgrade so I'll wait a year before making changes.
#38 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -

[QUOTE="zekere"]

slipknot0129

It really wont.

denial much?
#39 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -
[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="zekere"]

04dcarraher

It really wont.

denial much?

a 680 wont be maxing next gen games.
#40 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]It really wont. Nibroc420
denial much?

:lol: So full of it , these upcoming consoles have around 5gb of memory to use for games, can only use six of the eight core from the slow jaguar based cpu, then each console, the X1 has a gpu that is slower then a 7770 and then the PS4 has a gpu that is slower then the 7870, barely any faster then a 7850. GTX 670 and 7950 are nearly 2x faster then the PS4 gpu let alone the X1..... its no different from comparing a Geforce 8800GT to the 360 Xenos.......

#41 Posted by slipknot0129 (5832 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]It really wont.

Nibroc420

denial much?

It cant even max a current gen game like Crysis 3.

#42 Posted by 04dcarraher (22774 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] denial much?slipknot0129

you think a measly 1.86 TFLOP gpu can ? Nope Crysis 3 has settings and effects that would crush the next gen
#43 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6676 posts) -

[QUOTE="Peanutbutterz"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]I would check what cpu your motherboard can support and get an i5 *if able*04dcarraher

this is false, his dual core will do fine for the majority of his games, unless he owns crysis 3 and even then he should at least get 30 fps.

#44 Posted by CTR360 (8403 posts) -
i buy PS4 this fall i cant wait
#45 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

blaznwiipspman1

this is false, his dual core will do fine for the majority of his games, unless he owns crysis 3 and even then he should at least get 30 fps.

no

#46 Posted by ronvalencia (25410 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] denial much?04dcarraher

:lol: So full of it , these upcoming consoles have around 5gb of memory to use for games, can only use six of the eight core from the slow jaguar based cpu, then each console, the X1 has a gpu that is slower then a 7770 and then the PS4 has a gpu that is slower then the 7870, barely any faster then a 7850. GTX 670 and 7950 are nearly 2x faster then the PS4 gpu let alone the X1..... its no different from comparing a Geforce 8800GT to the 360 Xenos.......

X1's GPU is faster than 7770

For example

7770 = 1 primitive per cycle. 1 billion primitives per second @ 1Ghz

X1 = 2 primitives per cycle. 1.6 billion primitives per second @ 800 Mhz

This factor is important for DX11 titles.

------------------

X1 has more CUs thus more on-chip SRAM type memory compared to 7770.

#47 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

Peanutbutterz

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and GPU and add more RAM. Right now  I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116406 and a sapphire 6850.

IMO, you should wait 5 or 6 months. nVidia and AMD are both releasing new architectures around that time, and they'll be substantial upgrades over current gen cards...
#48 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3824 posts) -

[QUOTE="zekere"]

slipknot0129

It really wont.

it will perform better than consoles. Stop saying non-sense

#49 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3824 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] denial much?slipknot0129

and you think next-gen consoles could?
#50 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6676 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] You would better off getting a good quad core over getting a new gpu, if your funds are tight. Modern games like Crysis 3 BF3/4, Metro etc really need a quad core or better to have any good performance That low end dual core you have now is the major thing holding you back more so then that 6850GummiRaccoon

no

i have one and its fine for gaming.