PS3 with HDMI can't do DD 5.1 for Blu Ray movies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

My audio receiver doesn't do True HD audio, but it does have HDMI input/output and can only do DD 5.1 or lower. After looking up articles around the net it seems I need an optical cable to output DD 5.1 for Blu Ray movies.

My PS3 games and dvd's switch in to DD 5.1 automatically, but Blu Ray movies only do Pro Logic 2 OR True HD audio with HDMI? Is that right? If so, that's totally messed up.

#2 Posted by Large_Soda (8658 posts) -

I'm pretty sure you can do 5.1 DD. In the audio settings, I went in and deselected any audio format that my receiver couldn't process, which includes True HD and DTS ES and I'm fairly certain I am now getting 5.1 DD. Either that or my receiver just takes the signal and converts it to DD.

In short the PS3 can do DD 5.1 for Blu Ray over HDMI, but you likely need to configure something.

#3 Posted by Lach0121 (10904 posts) -

I remember the ps3 having quite a bit of audio options compared to the other consoles. That is most likely your issue, is a setting somewhere.

The PS3 should technically easily carry 5.1 DD or DTS signal through either the HDMI cable, or the Optical output. HDMI can even do true HD 7.1, which I don't think the PS3 can do out the optical port!

The resulting quality of using either physical output will give you the EXACT SAME quality. For 5.1 DD.

#4 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

I'm pretty sure you can do 5.1 DD. In the audio settings, I went in and deselected any audio format that my receiver couldn't process, which includes True HD and DTS ES and I'm fairly certain I am now getting 5.1 DD. Either that or my receiver just takes the signal and converts it to DD.

In short the PS3 can do DD 5.1 for Blu Ray over HDMI, but you likely need to configure something.

Large_Soda

It used to be able to do it, but a recent firmware update removed it. I've adjusted every setting possible and it won't do it now. Customer service said they removed it from hdmi when they added TrueHD support, and that you have to use an optical cable for DD 5.1 now.

#5 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

Bigboi500

It used to be able to do it, but a recent firmware update removed it. I've adjusted every setting possible and it won't do it now. Customer service said they removed it from hdmi when they added TrueHD support, and that you have to use an optical cable for DD 5.1 now.

I don't understand why that would happen. Have you tried setting it to linear pcm instead of bitstream? It should work then
#6 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

kraken2109

I don't understand why that would happen. Have you tried setting it to linear pcm instead of bitstream? It should work then

Yep I tried all that. Looks like I've got to buy an optical cable now. :(

#7 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]It used to be able to do it, but a recent firmware update removed it. I've adjusted every setting possible and it won't do it now. Customer service said they removed it from hdmi when they added TrueHD support, and that you have to use an optical cable for DD 5.1 now.

Bigboi500

Yep I tried all that. Looks like I've got to buy an optical cable now. :(

But my PS3 does it all fine..?
#8 Posted by Bl4KD37H (25 posts) -

I couldnt do 5.1 through the hdmi for some reason either. I hooked up a optical cable and it worked but i need it hooked into my tv because it is shared between 3 other consoles.