Programs running very slowly on Windows 8 PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

Getting quite frustrated by this one guys. Google SketchUp 8 is a 3d modelling program I use for work, when working from home I use my own PC, spces in signature. This same computer (using a Radeon 6870 at the time) ran sketchUp perfectly on Windows 7, but since going to Windows 8 it runs like crap. Stuttering absurdly. This same computer can run Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings but can't orbit an empty SketchUp model smoothly. The laptop I use when at work has inferior settings in every way but runs SketchUp fine (Compaq Presario CQ56, AMD II P340 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, ATI Modilbe Radeon 4250 2gb) . I have the latest drivers for my video card but I just can't figure out what it going on, can anyone help?

Edit: I would describe it's performance as 2 frames per second right now. 

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

Sketchup was never seriously used until recently so google never heavily invested into it. They recently got bought out by Trimble so dont expect to see any improvements until sketchup 9 rolls along. In any case try going to the settings and turning hardware mode off and back on.

Sketchup has potential to be the best in my opinion if they could release a 64bit version with animation and good textureing support already.

Here is something I have done with it.

63aa6b6857bab992f59e82e655f2531a-d39nqqb

GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GeneralMufinMan

I've been using it for about 6 years now on many different computers at home, work and school and this is the first time I've experienced these problems. This is probably the most powerful computer I've ever used it on too...

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

I've been using it for about 6 years now on many different computers at home, work and school and this is the first time I've experienced these problems. This is probably the most powerful computer I've ever used it on too...

GeneralMufinMan
Definitely software related, it's very likely that something got mucked up in the "upgrade" to Windows 8 or because of the Windows 8 video card drivers. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a common issue as I haven't been able to find any related forum posts or help articles.
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GeneralMufinMan

[QUOTE="GeneralMufinMan"]

General_X

Definitely software related, it's very likely that something got mucked up in the "upgrade" to Windows 8 or because of the Windows 8 video card drivers. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a common issue as I haven't been able to find any related forum posts or help articles.

Me niether :(

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Sounds like the problem is somehow related to Windows 8, which in my opinion is a steaming pile of garbage.

Try uninstalling SketchUp and install it again. It may not solve the problem but it's worth a shot.

If the problem still persist, just revert back to Windows 7.

GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GeneralMufinMan

Ok now I've tested more programs, Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD 2010 and Microsoft Publisher 2013 (also runs fine on laptop) are all running painfully slow too. Guess this means the problem is wider then just those programs. Like I said I've got the latest video card drivers, and all my specs are well beyond minimum requirements. Checking task manager these programs are not using 100% of CPU, RAM or Disk (not even above 30%). The only culprit I can think of is Windows 8, but that doesn't make much cense does it? What gives? :(

Edit: I've now disabled all services in addtion to all start-up programs, defragged and started in safe mode, didn't expect any of that to help and it didn't :( I'm now running CCleaner for the first time, any chance of that helping?

Edit 2: After running CCcleaner, no changes :( 

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
in your case i would backup anything you want ( photos,music,videos,work stuff ) and do a clean windows 8 installation. Meaning formatting your hard disk instead of installing over another windows installation
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GeneralMufinMan

in your case i would backup anything you want ( photos,music,videos,work stuff ) and do a clean windows 8 installation. Meaning formatting your hard disk instead of installing over another windows installation adamosmaki

I just did that 2 months ago when I got my SSD (no previous OS on it), think it's really worth trying? 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Sounds like the problem is somehow related to Windows 8, which in my opinion is a steaming pile of garbage.

Try uninstalling SketchUp and install it again. It may not solve the problem but it's worth a shot.

Cyberdot

Do you honestly go into every thread about Windows 8 to bag it?

Anyway TC, has anyone suggested COMPATIBILITY MODE?

GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GeneralMufinMan

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

FelipeInside

Do you honestly go into every thread about Windows 8 to bag it?

Anyway TC, has anyone suggested COMPATIBILITY MODE?

Oddly no, I'll give it a whirl. Its' never actually done anything in my expereince though... 

Edit: No dice, didn't work, tried setting it to Xp SP3 and Windows 7 

GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeneralMufinMan

Unless anyone can think of a better option I think I'm going to have to downgrade back to Windows 7, shame, I actually liked Windows 8 (well not the metro ui). Thats what I get for adopting early I guess.

Don't think I've ever downgraded an OS before, any tips? Do i format the SSD in Windows and then install 7 as if it were a fresh hard drive via cd?
Or do I just change the boot order, pop in the windows 7 disc and it'll install over 8? 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

Unless anyone can think of a better option I think I'm going to have to downgrade back to Windows 7, shame, I actually liked Windows 8 (well not the metro ui). Thats what I get for adopting early I guess.

Don't think I've ever downgraded an OS before, any tips? Do i format the SSD in Windows and then install 7 as if it were a fresh hard drive via cd?
Or do I just change the boot order, pop in the windows 7 disc and it'll install over 8? 

GeneralMufinMan
Like I said on another thread, must be something to do with ur install because I have Publisher 2010 and Illustrator/Photoshop CS6 and they work perfect. Have you googled the problem more? Is Windows 8 Updated to the latest update? Contact Microsoft? I wouldn't give up so fast. But anyway, if u need to downgrade, it's better to format the whole SSD and start new.
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GeneralMufinMan

FelipeInside

Like I said on another thread, must be something to do with ur install because I have Publisher 2010 and Illustrator/Photoshop CS6 and they work perfect. Have you googled the problem more? Is Windows 8 Updated to the latest update? Contact Microsoft? I wouldn't give up so fast. But anyway, if u need to downgrade, it's better to format the whole SSD and start new.

Just replied in you other thread too, but anyway yeah everythigns up to date, Windows 8, the individual programs and my drivers. Illustrator, Photoshop and Publisher I only have problems with once I hit about a 50mb file, maybe you can test that out if you only regularily work with small files. SketchUp and AutoCAD are screwed right from an empty screen though... 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="GeneralMufinMan"]

GeneralMufinMan

Just replied in you other thread too, but anyway yeah everythigns up to date, Windows 8, the individual programs and my drivers. Illustrator, Photoshop and Publisher I only have problems with once I hit about a 50mb file, maybe you can test that out if you only regularily work with small files. SketchUp and AutoCAD are screwed right from an empty screen though... 

I'll test Illustrator and Photoshop with a 50MB+ File. Any ideas where I can get one? Or maybe you can upload the file you're working on so I can test that specific one (to see if that's the problem). You can send me a private message with the link for security.
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GeneralMufinMan

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Like I said on another thread, must be something to do with ur install because I have Publisher 2010 and Illustrator/Photoshop CS6 and they work perfect. Have you googled the problem more? Is Windows 8 Updated to the latest update? Contact Microsoft? I wouldn't give up so fast. But anyway, if u need to downgrade, it's better to format the whole SSD and start new.FelipeInside

I'll test Illustrator and Photoshop with a 50MB+ File. Any ideas where I can get one? Or maybe you can upload the file you're working on so I can test that specific one (to see if that's the problem). You can send me a private message with the link for security.

Sorry I've never uploaded files to the internet before, but throw some high res files into a photoshop file and you'll get there quick enough. and it's Publisher 2013, AutoCAD 2013, and CS6 btw if anybody thinks that matters. all 64 bit

For reference I wouldn't get slow downs like this till I hit 300-500mb using Windows 7 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

GeneralMufinMan

Sorry I've never uploaded files to the internet before, but throw some high res files into a photoshop file and you'll get there quick enough. and it's Publisher 2013, AutoCAD 2013, and CS6 btw if anybody thinks that matters. all 64 bit

For reference I wouldn't get slow downs like this till I hit 300-500mb using Windows 7 

You can use a file sharing site, just google them. I just recommended that so I could test the same file as you. When I get home from work I'll throw some high res images into Photoshop CS6 and play around. I'll get back to you.
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GeneralMufinMan

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I'll test Illustrator and Photoshop with a 50MB+ File. Any ideas where I can get one? Or maybe you can upload the file you're working on so I can test that specific one (to see if that's the problem). You can send me a private message with the link for security.FelipeInside

You can use a file sharing site, just google them. I just recommended that so I could test the same file as you. When I get home from work I'll throw some high res images into Photoshop CS6 and play around. I'll get back to you.

Feel free, unfourtantly (well, for me anyway) sketchUp is the really important one, I only use publisher/photshop/illustrator about once or twice a month, but sketchup i have to use daily 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

GeneralMufinMan

Feel free, unfourtantly (well, for me anyway) sketchUp is the really important one, I only use publisher/photshop/illustrator about once or twice a month, but sketchup i have to use daily 

I'll let you know. As for Sketchup, maybe they just need to bring out a new version to be more compatible and optimized for Windows 8. OFF-Topic: are you good at Sketchup? What do u use it for?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
Tested PHOTOSHOP CS6 64bit and ILLUSTRATOR CS6 64bit. Opened about 15 photos (around 15Mb each with 3598 x 5397 pixels). They opened in seconds. Then started zooming in and out of a few.....super fast. Went onto COPY and PASTE from one photo to another, nearly instant. Tried a few effects on the pics... no issues.
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GeneralMufinMan

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] You can use a file sharing site, just google them. I just recommended that so I could test the same file as you. When I get home from work I'll throw some high res images into Photoshop CS6 and play around. I'll get back to you.FelipeInside

I'll let you know. As for Sketchup, maybe they just need to bring out a new version to be more compatible and optimized for Windows 8. OFF-Topic: are you good at Sketchup? What do u use it for?

I'm an Architectural Technologist for a solar panel manufacturer, I basically use sketchup to recreate buildings in 3d and then put solar panels on them. I was top of my class, but it wasn't a very good class ;)

So now I decide whether I wait and suffer throw terrible preformance for these companies to release more compatible versions/updates, reinstall Windows 8  on the off chance that will fix anything, or go back to Windows 7 at least until those programs get updated... 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

GeneralMufinMan

I'm an Architectural Technologist for a solar panel manufacturer, I basically use sketchup to recreate buildings in 3d and then put solar panels on them. I was top of my class, but it wasn't a very good class ;)

So now I decide whether I wait and suffer throw terrible preformance for these companies to release more compatible versions/updates, reinstall Windows 8  on the off chance that will fix anything, or go back to Windows 7 at least until those programs get updated... 

You could go back to Win7, but I would start with contacting Sketchup about ur issue. Like I said, Photoshop/Illustrator CS6 work fine on Win8 so that must be something with your system.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I'll let you know. As for Sketchup, maybe they just need to bring out a new version to be more compatible and optimized for Windows 8. OFF-Topic: are you good at Sketchup? What do u use it for?FelipeInside

You could go back to Win7, but I would start with contacting Sketchup about ur issue. Like I said, Photoshop/Illustrator CS6 work fine on Win8 so that must be something with your system.

Or dual boot win7 and 8
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GeneralMufinMan

Problem solved!

Turns out it was what I thought it might have been a month ago, hardware acceleration. It was not activated by default either though Windows 8 or Nvidia, but whatever the case, it is now activated and everythings back up to proper speed! 

hu-zah 

Edit: Though I do have one more wierd problem maybe somebody knows something about, google has failed me thus far. This is a GIS mapping website I use http://gisweb.countyofessex.on.ca/svlcounty/Viewer.html?Viewer=CountyPublic it uses microsoft silverlight in some fashion and since I've gone to Windows 8 I can not get the maps to load, the rest of the site will load, all the toolbars will load, but the mapping data itself will not. I've tried reinstalling silverlight and have tested it on chrome, IE and firefox, but no dice. It still works fine on my work laptop (windows 7). Any ideas on that one guys?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

Problem solved!

Turns out it was what I thought it might have been a month ago, hardware acceleration. It was not activated by default either though Windows 8 or Nvidia, but whatever the case, it is now activated and everythings back up to proper speed! 

hu-zah 

Edit: Though I do have one more wierd problem maybe somebody knows something about, google has failed me thus far. This is a GIS mapping website I use http://gisweb.countyofessex.on.ca/svlcounty/Viewer.html?Viewer=CountyPublic it uses microsoft silverlight in some fashion and since I've gone to Windows 8 I can not get the maps to load, the rest of the site will load, all the toolbars will load, but the mapping data itself will not. I've tried reinstalling silverlight and have tested it on chrome, IE and firefox, but no dice. It still works fine on my work laptop (windows 7). Any ideas on that one guys?

GeneralMufinMan

Attitude-image1.jpg

alesis89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 alesis89
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hi I'm currently experiencing the exact same problem with my windows 8 upgrade. Just wondered if you could tell me how you managed to turn on hardware acceleration in windows 8. Can't seem to find out out how to do that. Thanks