Problems with TV screen as monitor.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

boshlonavish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 boshlonavish
Member since 2005 • 1229 Posts

Hey guys, first of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section for this, if it is go ahead and move it or delete it or whatever.

Now, for the past couple years I've been using a Daenyx LCD TV as my computer monitor and it's worked quite well for me, but now that I've upgrade to Windows 7 from XP I've had problems with some of my games (Necrovision and Mirror's Edge, so far.) As soon as I start the games, my screen goes to "No Signal", which it only usually does when I have the screen on but not my computer or PS3. I can still hear all the audio and if I move my mouse around I can hear it scroll over the options on the main menu. With Necrovision, I usually get stuck like this but with Mirror's Edge I can get back to my desktop if I mash the windows key a bit. All my other games work flawlessly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that the resolution the game is booting up in is not supported by the TV. Of course, you could always try removing and reinstalling your drivers as well. I can't think of anything else that would cause that problem. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

As soon as I start the games, my screen goes to "No Signal"boshlonavish

The game is most likely launching in an unsupported resolution or refresh rate. You might try adjusting this manually via the text config files.

For example.. with Mirror's Edge, try this:

1) Go to My Documents->EA Games->Mirror's Edge->TdGame->Config

2) Look for "TdEngine.ini" and open it with Notepad

3) Search for "ResX=" and "ResY="

4) Change the values to correspond to the resolution of your TV. For example, if your TV is 1280x720 (720p), make the lines read "ResX=1280" and "ResY=720"

5) Save. Launch the game and see if it works now.

boshlonavish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 boshlonavish
Well, that did make some progress but maybe in the wrong direction. I found a file called DefaultEngine.ini and did as you said. Now when I run the game it tells me that the file DefaultEngine.ini is corrupt and to reinstall my game. I have the Steam version of the game, if that makes any difference.
carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
The issue has something to do with how Windows 7 sends the resize instructions to the TV I believe, with my HDTDV I sometimes (not always though) have to switch it away from my PC input (HDMI) to a different input 'channel' and then back again for it to pick up the resolution change. It also is linked to the idea that TV's don't care much for any resolution but their native.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
what others said. Its possible the game is launching in a resolution or refresh rate that is not supported by your Tv ( your old tv might supported that res but not the new one ) You can try finding the config file for those 2 games and change the res if there is a config file If not backup the games using steam's backup option then uninstall the games and restore them ( that way settings will go back to their defaults )
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Well, that did make some progress but maybe in the wrong direction. I found a file called DefaultEngine.ini and did as you said. Now when I run the game it tells me that the file DefaultEngine.ini is corrupt and to reinstall my game. I have the Steam version of the game, if that makes any difference.boshlonavish

That's the wrong one..it isn't supposed to be in the game folder itself. I wouldn't mess with anything in there.

You want "TdEngine.ini" ..I also have the Steam version and it's in the directory structure pointed out above: C:\Users\(User Name)\My Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\TdGame\Config\TdEngine.ini

By the way, you can simply delete that corrupt DefaultEngine.ini and Steam should synchronize, eliminating the need to reinstall.

MrUnSavory1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrUnSavory1
Member since 2005 • 777 Posts

Maybe you could post this in the hardware forum where it belongs......

boshlonavish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 boshlonavish

Maybe you could post this in the hardware forum where it belongs......

MrUnSavory1

Yeah, sorry about that. For some reason I thought I was in the hardware forum and didn't realise until I had already posted it that I was in the PC games forum. Must have been more tired than I thought. Anyway, I've tried everything you guys have said, to no avail. Oh well, I don't like those games much anyway. Thanks for your help, everybody.