Problems starting applications after installing IE8/.Net Framework 3.5

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DukeEdwardI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DukeEdwardI
Member since 2005 • 498 Posts

So I ran windows update the other day and I left it to update while i went to work. It installed IE8 and .Net framework 3.5. I came back the next day and restarted and sat there and waited FOREVER for the start up routine to finish (antivirus, steam, rivatuner, etc). Normally this takes about 1-2 minutes from a cold boot, but this must have taken upwards of 5 minutes. However, once they finally got loaded there were no problems at all. I can open up Chrome and browse the internet at normal speeds but when I try to open up ANY programs (itunes, games, spybot, etc), my computer will sit there and do nothing (no hard drive spinning) for about 2-3 minutes and then the program opens up and functions just like it should. Weird.

I've run malware/spyware scans and virus scans but with no results. I've checked task manager and i'm using maybe 1gb of my 4gb of RAM and only 5% max of my CPU power. As you could probably guess, this is really frustrating. It's not a MAJOR problem as everything performs as it should (when it finally opens after 2-3 minutes), but it's just really annoying. Any ideas what's going on before I say Eff it and format?

Specs:
Windows XP 64-bit
Core 2 Quad Q6600
4GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS 512

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#2 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Use system restore to revert your settings back to the point before you insalled the updates. Then, install the updates one at a time until you either find your problematic patch, or it works.
DukeEdwardI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 DukeEdwardI
Member since 2005 • 498 Posts

Crap. Unfortunately, I configured System Restore to use as little hard drive space as possible, so all i've got is today's restore point. Never thought I'd need to use it. Lesson learned I guess. Am I out of luck?