Problems by somehow not getting the password right

#1 Posted by Horgen (120879 posts) -

So... Someone asked if I could help.

Laptop with Win 10. Unable to log in. Is there anyway to access the data on the HDD/SSD?

I was thinking getting an adapter for mSATA to USB and just remove the storage from the laptop and connect it to my own computer. Would that be possible, or is it all password locked because of Win10?

#2 Posted by gerygo (12450 posts) -
@horgen said:

Laptop with Win 10. Unable to log in. Is there anyway to access the data on the HDD/SSD?

I was thinking getting an adapter for mSATA to USB and just remove the storage from the laptop and connect it to my own computer. Would that be possible, or is it all password locked because of Win10?

You can connect it to another PC and access the files, on the contra you can insert external storage and use some cd tool extraction software to move the folders and files from the internal storage to the external.

#3 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16130 posts) -
Loading Video...

#4 Posted by Horgen (120879 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:
@horgen said:

You can connect it to another PC and access the files, on the contra you can insert external storage and use some cd tool extraction software to move the folders and files from the internal storage to the external.

Even if I can't get pass the win 10 password to access the computer? I'm stuck at the user logging screen.

#5 Posted by Horgen (120879 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: Thanks, that seems worth a shot.

#6 Posted by Horgen (120879 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: Apology for bumping, but that method showed in the video has been patched.

#7 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16130 posts) -

@horgen said:

@br0kenrabbit: Apology for bumping, but that method showed in the video has been patched.

Ahhh, damn. Well, thanks for letting me know. I've used it a few times for people over the past.

How about the Trinity Rescue Kit?

#8 Posted by Horgen (120879 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: @br0kenrabbit: I will test it today. Bit of a hassle when it isn’t my laptop.

#9 Edited by Horgen (120879 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: I have had some success with TRK. OK so I tested it on my own laptop (running win 7) and it works, but not on her laptop with Win 10. Now the issue I think is simply power to usb being shut off. The USB stick has a light that should be lit the whole time, which is honestly the only difference I can see between doing it on my own laptop and hers.

#10 Edited by attirex (1619 posts) -

"asking for a friend"

This thread is soooo shady lol. If forum mod wasn't the OP, this thread would've been LOCKT TITE about ten days ago.

#11 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16130 posts) -

@horgen said:

@br0kenrabbit: I have had some success with TRK. OK so I tested it on my own laptop (running win 7) and it works, but not on her laptop with Win 10. Now the issue I think is simply power to usb being shut off. The USB stick has a light that should be lit the whole time, which is honestly the only difference I can see between doing it on my own laptop and hers.

Can you make a bootable CD and work from there?

#12 Posted by pyro1245 (5131 posts) -

Boot live linux from a USB flash drive.

#13 Posted by Horgen (120879 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@horgen said:

Can you make a bootable CD and work from there?

That's what I will try today. Except I first have to get a CD-R or RW. Will try in about 5 hours I guess.

@pyro1245 said:

Boot live linux from a USB flash drive.

Except it shut off the USB ports midway there.

#14 Posted by Horgen (120879 posts) -

So... I feel like an idiot now. Laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Just the model has room for it, but this configuration doesn't have it.

Anyway found another solution to it, Hirens bcd... So I got the laptop unlocked now and changed the password.

@br0kenrabbit: Even though it didn't work on this laptop (worked on my own), still thank you very much for the help. =)

#15 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16130 posts) -

@horgen said:

@br0kenrabbit: Even though it didn't work on this laptop (worked on my own), still thank you very much for the help. =)

NP, man. I've actually slowed down on my 'help/repair' lately as I've moved a lot of people off PCs and onto tablets (older folk mostly), so I'm a bit behind the times. Glad you got it fixed.

#16 Edited by Horgen (120879 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@horgen said:

NP, man. I've actually slowed down on my 'help/repair' lately as I've moved a lot of people off PCs and onto tablets (older folk mostly), so I'm a bit behind the times. Glad you got it fixed.

Series of coincidences really. Looking up TRK I also came across something you could pay for called Renee Passnow. I was almost ready to pay for it. Looked up reviews for Renee Passnow and somehow came across Hirens BCD. Hirens BCD is ridiculously easy to use. It's a Win XP light version.

#17 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16130 posts) -

@horgen said:

Hirens BCD is ridiculously easy to use. It's a Win XP light version.

Nice, I might want to throw that on a thumb drive somewhere.

#18 Posted by Horgen (120879 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@horgen said:

Hirens BCD is ridiculously easy to use. It's a Win XP light version.

Nice, I might want to throw that on a thumb drive somewhere.

UEFI support. Also allows you to copy whatever file you want from the computer without going through windows.