Problem with windows 8 and all games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lilkarlh666
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts

Hey guys, i have just upgraded my computer to windows 8. However all went well up until i installed all my games and started playing them. I thought it may be down to games not being supported so i tried far cry which does support it and the issues are still the same.

The problem i am having is as soon as i start a game i get extremely erratic flickering, as if it is flickering between two image positions. I have tried uninstalling and starting from scratch including all updates to graphics and all the other hardware but still get the same issues. I did read about v-sync problems and tried with this on and off but still no luck.

I am using an asus rog gene 4, a 3960 x processor, and gtx 680 sli ( i have tried with just one card but it still happens).

Does anybody no how to fix this or is this just a windows 8 problem(i can't think of what else it could be).

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Hey guys, i have just upgraded my computer to windows 8. However all went well up until i installed all my games and started playing them. I thought it may be down to games not being supported so i tried far cry which does support it and the issues are still the same.

The problem i am having is as soon as i start a game i get extremely erratic flickering, as if it is flickering between two image positions. I have tried uninstalling and starting from scratch including all updates to graphics and all the other hardware but still get the same issues. I did read about v-sync problems and tried with this on and off but still no luck.

I am using an asus rog gene 4, a 3960 x processor, and gtx 680 sli ( i have tried with just one card but it still happens).

Does anybody no how to fix this or is this just a windows 8 problem(i can't think of what else it could be).

lilkarlh666

Windows 8 should be fine. What video driver are you using?

-Byshop

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

I know your pain, my brother's HP laptop had Win 8 on it , almost every XP era game would not run or had glitches. So I got rid of the POS OS and installed Win 7 and after a tedious time finding the hardware drivers for it. Its running all those games just fine. Windows 8 is junk.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

I know your pain, my brother's HP laptop had Win 8 on it , almost every XP era game would not run or had glitches. So I got rid of the POS OS and installed Win 7 and after a tedious time finding the hardware drivers for it. Its running all those games just fine. Windows 8 is junk.

04dcarraher

Laptops are a different story since you are more dependent on the manufacturer of the laptop for drivers. Many laptop makers don't update the drivers for any of their laptops except for the most recent models. That's not Window's fault, that's HP's fault and it's like that with every new OS.

-Byshop

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

Byshop

Laptops are a different story since you are more dependent on the manufacturer of the laptop for drivers. Many laptop makers don't update the drivers for any of their laptops except for the most recent models. That's not Window's fault, that's HP's fault and it's like that with every new OS.

-Byshop

Lol, its recent, brand spanking new model with latest drivers from december, Windows 8 just plain sucks compared to Win 7 especially for older games.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

-Byshop

You can run drivers in compatability mode. I made my sisters' ancient HP laptop run Windows 7 with this method despite the fact that HP said "Windows 7 isn't supported". 100% of all drivers worked using compatability mode.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

04dcarraher

-Byshop

Lol, its recent, brand spanking new model with latest drivers from december, Windows 8 just plain sucks compared to Win 7 especially for older games.

That's HP's fault, not Microsoft's. It's also unrelated to the op's question.

-Byshop

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Byshop

That's HP's fault, not Microsoft's. It's also unrelated to the op's question.

-Byshop

its not HP's fault is MS's fault creating a sub par OS. It funny since using almost all the same drivers Win7 runs just fine while 8 didn't
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

its not HP's fault is MS's fault creating a sub par OS. It funny since using almost all the same drivers Win7 runs just fine while 8 didn't04dcarraher

It's not sub par, it's just new. Every time a new OS comes out, people always complain about driver support. Win7 was no different, Vista was no different, XP was no different, etc etc.

And again, this isn't helpful to the op.

-Byshop

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]its not HP's fault is MS's fault creating a sub par OS. It funny since using almost all the same drivers Win7 runs just fine while 8 didn'tByshop

It's not sub par, it's just new. Every time a new OS comes out, people always complain about driver support. Win7 was no different, Vista was no different, XP was no different, etc etc.

And again, this isn't helpful to the op.

-Byshop

Nope, win 8 legacy coding is gone compared to 7, which is why older programs have issues